Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAVAGE STRIKER TRIGGER Login/Join 

posted
SAVAGE STRIKER TRIGGER

I had a Striker a few years back, shot it a lot and sold it. The trigger started out horrible, great variation in pull from shot to shot; sometimes the pull was so hard my hand shook. I adjusted the trigger repeatedly and finally it got somewhat better.

I bought another Striker last fall, the trigger was the same-horrible. I adjusted it a few times, and then tried another approach. I oiled every moving surface of the trigger and bolt, and shot it. Oiled it, a lot, cleaned the excess oil off and shot it. The oil is synthetic food safe oil. After nine months and a lot of oiling and more than 3000 shots, 99.9% cast bullets, through the pistol, the trigger is OK. It’s not great, but it’s far from horrible. The trigger manageable and doesn’t cause fliers as it did earlier.

Posts: 79 | Location: United States | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Oil & greaes will help. I read where guys were having good luck with TW25 decreasing friction and being a stay put slippery. Darn stuff is kind of pricey but it sure works like the guys said.

And NO I didn't have it on the barrel nut that came loose for me. Thanks Adam for a quick field re-torque.

Posts: 1612 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Joeb,

I start out honing and polishing every trigger and bolt on every gun I buy. For me it is part of owning a rifle/pistol. I am not a Smith by any stretch but I consult with them. With expert help I can get a gun working pretty well and a Smith can get "ANY" gun working very well.

May I suggest that you send your gun off to Fred at Sharp Shooters Supply for a "Timing And Truing" operation. He does many things and one that I cannot do is the machining of the bolt lugs to helical. I can't do anything he does to his quality but I can do a lot that improves the receiver a noticeable amt. Everything is discussed here at one place/thread or another.

Invest in some 200, 400, 800 grit compounds and some green rouge and white rouge and buy a book on the topic. I have Mosin Nagant snipers that are butter smooth and that is the roughest piece of Russian hardware known.

Have fun and enjoy the journey.

Posts: 34 | Location: Eugene, Orygun | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Go to this link may help you....http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage/
I just changed out the wire and reset the screws and that made a difference....not perfect but big improvement. I got my wire from local hobby shop..just be patience when setting the screws and trying it out.

Scott

Posts: 557 | Location: Goodyear,Arizona | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post