Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

xp-100 6br bullet choice Login/Join 

posted
I have been shooting sierra 80 special pistol bullets, that is about as heavy as I can go with my twist rate. I am getting low on the bullets and need to find a replacement. what about the sierra blitz 80, seems it should work as well as the single shot pistol at the xp-100 velocities (2900fps)

Posts: 57 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What are you hunting w/ your 6 BR? Confused

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
whitetail deer during late season alternative methods season.

Posts: 57 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Did u chrony 2900fps?

80gr blitz should be close. Think sierra techs told me that one time. Call em n verify.

Id also try the 85gr hpbt if you can get it to shoot.

80gr nosler bt be good to try out.

80gr speer spitzer ive alwayz heard is good.

You got work to do now. Wink

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9425 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
85 gr. Nosler PTs have been great on deer in my 6mmAI. Worth a try.

Posts: 1855 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of snowsnake
posted Hide Post
Ive taken several deer using the Sierra 85g bthp. All were under 100 yards and all complete pass thrus with lots of damage to the internals. 15" barrel w/a 1-10 twist

Posts: 234 | Location: S.W. VA | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good luck, foxhunter. If deer hunting I'd first try the Sierra 80 gr Blitz or 80 gr NBT. I also have a 6 BR but my twist is to slow to stabilize 80 gr bullets. IIRC, Bobby Tomek has posted a lot of experiences w/ 6 mm 80 gr deer hunting bullets. Maybe he'll jump in and share his experience. You might also search his old posts.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There are some 80gr single shot hornady bullets for sale in the classifieds here.

http://specialtypistols.infopo...6077864/m/1000002986

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
i'll give the sierra 80 gr blitz a try, the 80 hornady ssp didn't shoot all that well. I am at the top of bullets with the 80 as I have a 1-12 twist barrel.
thanks guys
ans yes they chronoed 2900 fps. so far I have a150, 225 and 265 yard kill on deer with the pistol.

posted Hide Post
update, shot a very large doe yesterday pm, 165 yards. shot her thru both lungs and she ran about 80 yards up hill before she dropped. jerky time!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by foxhunter:
update, shot a very large doe yesterday pm, 165 yards. shot her thru both lungs and she ran about 80 yards up hill before she dropped. jerky time!

Was this deer shot with the 80gr. Sierra Blitzking bullet?
Can you give some impression of the quality of the blood trail?

Thanks,
Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
Hey Freeze, I found some old green cardboard Sierra boxes at the bottom of my 6mm bullet stash. 3 of the 6 were 80g #7150 Single Shot Pistol (#250 total)

Sent you an e-mail with details

Mike B.
323-356-2144

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HandCanonShootr:
Hey Freeze, I found some old green cardboard Sierra boxes at the bottom of my 6mm bullet stash. 3 of the 6 were 80g #7150 Single Shot Pistol (#250 total)

Sent you an e-mail with details

Mike B.
323-356-2144

HandCannonShooter,

Thank you for thoughtfully reaching out .... but I think you are looking for "foxhunter".

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
Hey Foxhunter, I found some old green cardboard Sierra boxes at the bottom of my 6mm bullet stash. 3 of the 6 were 80g #7150 Single Shot Pistol (#250 total)

tried to send you an e-mail with details but your SP address on file @SP is bad.
Text, Call or email if interested

Mike B.
323-356-2144 lapopular@aol.com

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Before you invest in a lot of bullets, check the stability factor first.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/b...rs/calculators.shtml

I learned the hard way many years ago that even thought a bullet may group well at say 100 yards, at distance it may not.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I use 85 hpbt sierras in my 1-10 twist 6BR. I've killed a mule deer buck at 200 yards with mine. It performed great.

Posts: 130 | Location: KANSAS | Registered: August 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
BCinKS I hope that 85gr sierra bthp is all they say it is. I see sierra even recommends it for deer/antelope out of the XP-100 for deer size game. I'm working up a load know in my 243 WSSM to hopefully take a coues whitetail out to 350yds.

Rick

Posts: 3526 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitemann:
BCinKS I hope that 85gr sierra bthp is all they say it is. I see sierra even recommends it for deer/antelope out of the XP-100 for deer size game. I'm working up a load know in my 243 WSSM to hopefully take a coues whitetail out to 350yds.

Rick

Rick,
What twist is your .243 WSSM? I was running the 105 Berger VLDH bullets out of my 1-8 twist
.243 WSSM XP. Killed 5 Antelope and one black bear with that rig. Had awesome results with that bullet.

Mike

Posts: 2291 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Mike,

It's an HS Precision so I would assume it's a 1-10 T. Our whitetail are about the same size an antelope or maybe a little smaller. Thinking I should be able to get a little over 3000fps out of the 15" barrel which would make them shoot pretty flat out to 350yds or so.

Rick

Posts: 3526 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Rick I think you will be pleased with them. My Striker shoots them extremely accurately.

Posts: 130 | Location: KANSAS | Registered: August 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post