Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

External Bolt Stop (XP-100) Login/Join 

posted
Anyone ever mounted a bolt stop in reverse?

Seems that would be the way to do it so the bolt can retract as far as possible for the longer cartridges like the Nosler and Dakota cases.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
The Wichita style give you the most travel. Next is the factory one modified. Then a modified defiance.

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on how the stop is designed. Some have a angle cut on the back side so that the bolt slides in easier. The front side is cut at a 90 degree angle to keep th bolt from coming out. That might not work well installed backwards.

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
I've found the most rear bolt travel to be with a modified factory stop and a plunger style release makes it easy.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris, and others, for the info.

Seems to me the thing to do is mount one in reverse with the stop modified for the the reverse installation. That way the angled cut for re-inserting the bolt would be easy and also allow for the most reward bolt travel (perhaps even modifying the stop itself to allow this even more).

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The T/C bolt action rifle (Icon/Venture) is an example of what I’m referring to. I have not closely scrutinized that bolt stop but it’s similar in function to what I’m referring to.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)