Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 25 calibers Login/Join 

posted
I looking down the road (way down the road) at a possible rebarrel for my center grip XP. I haven't done much hunting in the past several years and just shot informal targets at our range up to 500 yards. I keep debating on cartridges and keep coming back to a couple of 25's. (250 imp. or 25 souper) I know that the variety of match bullets is not there compared to other calibers but I do like the 25's. for now I only have a 257 jdj contender and had a 257 Roberts rifle but traded it to my brother for my nephew to hunt with. I also have an XP100R in 260 Remington so I do have a 6.5 that I'm sure some would suggest. I'm also sure my other thoughts of a 6br or 6 dasher will also be more popular and maybe more practical for mostly punching paper but it would also mean adding another caliber bullet that I don't load for now since I have nothing in .243/6mm.
Anyway I'm interested about any experience with any of the 25's

Bruce

Posts: 1094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
No experience with it but how about a 25 on the lapua case.

Have had multiple 250 & 250 AI savages. The 250 was my unlimited sillywet gun while the AI was my prairiedog gun. Plenty of excellent bullets for hunting but not so much for target.

My go to bullet was a Nosler 85 grain ballistic tip - hard on steel targets but very explosive on the little doggies.

I have since downgraded? to 6 mm's

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old leghumper,

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I've had a SSK center grip for a very long time in .250 Sav. AI. Have taken 878 groundhogs and around 30 deer with it. It's sort of good-accurate, low recoil. Sweet little gun. Have no complaints about it. 85 gr. BT is all I use on 'hogs. Anything 100-120 gr. used on deer.

Posts: 1864 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
In my mind you had one of the best 25's in the .257 Roberts. I applaud you for letting your nephew have the opportunity to have it. I'm not sure I wouldn't go back to that classic cartridge.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
I have a 25 WSSM in a HSP, super accurate with 87 gr Bergers & 107 gr JLK's.
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leupold Man:
In my mind you had one of the best 25's in the .257 Roberts. I applaud you for letting your nephew have the opportunity to have it. I'm not sure I wouldn't go back to that classic cartridge.

The 257 Roberts is indeed a good cartridge. Mine was in a Ruger 7 MII and not a specialty pistol. I liked it but since I wasn't hunting much it wasn't being used much. About 3 years ago I loaned it to my brother for my nephew to hunt with. I just left it with them since then so last year we made a trade so it would be his.

Bruce

Posts: 1094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Well that is very nice of you. I have had a couple as a Encore and they are very fun to shoot. Very easy to shoot well out of a 15" Encore pistol.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
I have a passion for .25 myself. currently have 257 wby rifle, and have a 25-06ai being chambered for my switch bbl 284 xp. I use 110 gr accubonds for most everything. The bullets for .25 cal do not have the bc of other cals, but speed makes up for a lot at the distance and velocity the bullets are designed to perform at. They just seem to kill a lot better than paper ballistics would suggest.

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 816 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nmhunter:
Nmhunter

I did briefly think about the 25 wssm but I think I want to leave the bolt face alone on this one. I have even thought about the 257 AI but I would really need to have an external bolt release installed for that one. Not that I haven't thought about that anyway.

Bruce

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
You could just buy another bolt with a .473 bolt face for your XP. You can pick up a PTG made one or look for a used factory bolt. This will allow you to keep your existing bolt original where you could switch back later if you wanted to.
I have a ULA Hunter Pistol in 257 Rob and really like it. I shoot lighter 70-87 grain bullets for coyotes and 110-120 grain bullets for antelopes/deer. The 257 Rob makes for a great all around cartridge.

Posts: 2350 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BruceP:
quote:
Originally posted by nmhunter:
Nmhunter

I did briefly think about the 25 wssm but I think I want to leave the bolt face alone on this one. I have even thought about the 257 AI but I would really need to have an external bolt release installed for that one. Not that I haven't thought about that anyway.

Bruce

An external bolt release is an excellent idea. I hate Remmy's bolt release.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bruce P

Any thought given to the 25-222 Copperhead or the standard 250 Savage,
I have a 257 Ugalde (TCU) and the 250S, both in XP-100 actions,
but the 25 Souper fits here also.

Both are outstanding hunting rounds.

IMHO, I look for brass that will be avaialble down the road.

YMMV,

Tia,
Don

--------------------------------
"Any person that fears me owning a firearm, then I have reason to fear that person"
--------------------------------
NRA Life Member
Sturm/Ruger Armours School-State of Nevada POST-Remington/ S&W Armour Schools-NRA Certified Range Master-State of Nevada POST Range Master-Jaycor Certified Pepperball Instructor-OC Pepper Spray Instructor-Tazer Instructor-NRA Law Enforcement Armours School-Lassen College LE Armours School-NRA Police Firearms Instructor Development School
Nam "Oct 67-Dec 68"
173rd ABN 2/503rd "Recon"
Retired 10/01/2009, 36+yrs

Posts: 1239 | Location: Western NV | Registered: August 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nvreloader:
Bruce P

Any thought given to the 25-222 Copperhead or the standard 250 Savage,
I have a 257 Ugalde (TCU) and the 250S, both in XP-100 actions,
but the 25 Souper fits here also.

Both are outstanding hunting rounds.

IMHO, I look for brass that will be avaialble down the road.

YMMV,

Tia,
Don

I have thought about the standard 250 savage but not the 25-222 or the 257TCU since it is now chambered for the 7BR so looking at cartridges with the same bolt face. I have even thought about a 25 BR but there is not much load data for that one.

Bruce

Picture of xp-100
posted Hide Post
25/284 is awesome

NRA Endowment Member
IHMSA Life Member
NBRSA Member
semi-retired gunsmith
IHMSA PC Coordinator

Posts: 815 | Location: north alabama | Registered: August 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xp-100:
25/284 is awesome

Had not thought of that one. hmmmm

Bruce

posted Hide Post
I'd do either a 257 AI or a 257 Souper. Probably the souper because of brass availability. I read about a guy that used a 6.5x47L necked down to 25. He really liked it.

I think if someone came out with a heavy .25 bullet it would be pretty sweet for shooting at distance.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ole95
posted Hide Post
I know someone that has xp's in
25br and 25/221

Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
------------------------------
shoot like your life depends on it

Posts: 532 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post