Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ssk xp100 Login/Join 

posted

Posts: 292 | Location: WV | Registered: September 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice! What's the specs on her?

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
338 wsm ssk xp100
15 inch Lilja barrel plus break
McMillan stock and bedded
Ssk hard krome
Tsob mount with Burris 3-12 plex

RL 15 70gn
180ab velocity 2920 3/4 group at 100yd

I have reloading info on h4350 I'm going to try,I like reloader powder not sure how temperature sentive it is.

Jon

Posts: 292 | Location: WV | Registered: September 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice! Glenn (tgp) runs a .338 WSM as well.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, (tgp) gave me info on h4350. Kirby Allen gave me info on Reloader 15, I can go to 71gn and get 2960 but it a little warm.

Jon

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1837 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Good lookin' middy there!

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking rig.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looks as good as it shoot! Smile What more could a handgunner hope for? thumbup

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gary T for posting the pics, and everyone's reply.
Jon

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
That's a nice rig!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Looks good. Proofs in the puddin'. Show me the meat!

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, (tgp) gave me info on h4350. Kirby Allen gave me info on Reloader 15, I can go to 71gn and get 2960 but it a little warm.

That Glenn is a good fella. He has given me more help than I could ever hope for when ever ask.

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Excellent shooting and ditto on glen too
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As soon as I get time I'm going to try some accuracy loads I have made up with
H4350. Does anyone know how temperature sentive RL 15 is.

Thanks, Jon

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by red65:
As soon as I get time I'm going to try some accuracy loads I have made up with
H4350. Does anyone know how temperature sentive RL 15 is.

Thanks, Jon

From what I have seen, RL 15 is similar to Varget. Fairly temp stable.

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
works great out here in Arizona,
not to sure if I am temp tolerant though Slap_Forehead
I shoot rel 15 in my 6.5 WSM also.
nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice looking XP red!

RE15 is not as temp sensitive as RE17 and 22, but if it's a warm load in current conditions, I'd watch closely as you reach summertime temps.

H4350 is one of the most temp tolerant powders I've used, and excellent lot to lot consistency, but you probably won't get the same velocities as the RE.

Posts: 606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
That's a sweet looking rig and seems like perfect hog, bear, and elk medicine.

Your velocities are insane. Is it typical of the 338 WSM in a 15 inch barrel to get over 2900 fps with 180 gr bullets? A 325 WSM gets almost identical velocity from a 24-inch rifle barrel according to the Hodgdon Annual Manual. I understand the 325 is slightly less effecient compared to the 338 but not that much.

Hitman, do you know what velocities you are getting out of your SSK 325 WSM XP?

Posts: 960 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: June 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I got the reloading info from Kirby Allan he goes to 71gn with reloader 15, in my coronagraph 70gn gave 2920.
TGP here sent me info with H4350 and 200gn ab at close to 2800. When I get time I'm going to try
H4350 with 180ab

Jon

posted Hide Post
I look at the hodgdon web site and the reloading 325 with h4350 and what info I have on 338wsm is 4gn more. It took 6 months to build and I found everything I could on the 338wsm in a xp100, the 3 loads I found everyone is shooting Lilja 15 inch barrels. I also have info on RL19 from nmhunter on 325wsm that runs as fast.

Jon

posted Hide Post
Grendell, don't chrono, so don't know velocities. All I know is that my .325 kills like the hand of Thor- 1 shot 350# bear, 279 yd. bear, multiple deer around 350, croc. Much of the time I have trouble choosing between this and my 6.5/.284. It's that good and accurate, so the fps doesn't worry me a lot.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I never coronagraph until 3-4 years ago when my friends bought Leupold scopes with cds system then I had to know so they would get the right dial for there gun,we all went in and bought a coronagraph so I have it and use it when we want to.
My friends like all the new and bigger things, now they bought 26,28 and working on 30 nosler stuff.

Jon

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
Grendell, don't chrono, so don't know velocities. All I know is that my .325 kills like the hand of Thor- 1 shot 350# bear, 279 yd. bear, multiple deer around 350, croc. Much of the time I have trouble choosing between this and my 6.5/.284. It's that good and accurate, so the fps doesn't worry me a lot.

thumbup thumbup thumbup

This is worth reading twice. Very few game animals are killed because of marginal differences in velocity. IMHO, we spend too much time stressing over 100-200 fps in velocity, when we should be shooting.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3510 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree, once I get my accuracy I start shootings out to 500yd and take notes.i was hog hunting with Doc and was using my xp 22-250imp,he saw a hog at 500yd he told me were to hold at the crack of the gun dead hog.my longest hog kill to date.
Accuracy first speed is what it is, some time I get both.

Jon

posted Hide Post
Amen, Sawfish. Praise the Lord and pass the nonchronograffed ammunition. Use the manuals for safe loads and don't worry about 25-75 fps.

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Red, sawfish And Doc. I don.t look at velocity until I have the accuracy. But Then I check the velocity to see what my drops are calculated at, then the fun starts, shooting and checking the "accuracy" of my ballistic programs. I do not go by the listed velocities in the loading manuals. They are set up for longer rifle barrels not the 15-18" sp barrels.
I like to shoot and I am definitely a"techi" I guess it comes with my profession.
Nmhunter

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
I'm not "worried" about velocity, I just like to know. I'm always interested to know the real velocity differences between rifles and pistols of the same caliber. My original question was just in regards to the extremely high velocity red65 posted. He's basically getting rifle velocities from a 15" tube. I'm just curious about that. If those velocities are typical of the cartridge, then I want one even more. Seems like a perfect big game XP round for critters larger than deer, though it will certainly lay them flat too.

No need for everyone to get their panties in a wad. It was a simple question.

Posts: 960 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: June 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was surprised myself, the members who gave me info with reloader 15 were spot on.i tried h4350 with 200gn bt last weekend at 2740 about 50ft slower than tgp
(Glenn) is getting out of his. I'm sticking with RL15 180ab for now.

Jon