Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Accubond Long Range Bullets Login/Join 

posted
The Nosler ABLR bullets are supposed to expand at velocities as low as 1300fps and have a great BC as well. Anyone here useing the Nosler ABLR for hunting? Sounds like a great bullet for short barreled specialty pistols.

The ABLR .264 129gr .553BC(Bryan Litz) @ 2500fps muzzle velocity, the bullet doesn't slow down to 1300fps till 900 yards, per JBM calculations.

Posts: 24 | Location: north | Registered: September 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm sure Doc will chime in, he's tested them extensively.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I can tell you some good storys on the Nosler AccuBond L(ess than) R(eliable) bullet.
I thought this was going to be hot stuff. Called Nosler PR when the came out to get some to test. Explained to the PR Lady that I had a lot of test material (deer) and would like to get some fast. She said, OK. 18 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!later I finally bought some at Cabela;'s. Never heard from the fine lady (6 or 7 emails). What happened was that a lot of the early bullets went to the Best of the West TV gang to test. They took the to Africa. Ever see theier TV show about the results? Nope. Didn't happen. That raised red flags everywhere. (Notice now that their sponsor is Hornady (ELD-X)!!!)
Well, I started my methodical testing last year. Took 12 deer and a couple dozen groundhogs. First, they are very accurate. SEcond, they are very "soft", expand like crazy, and penetrate like a Kleenex. Broadside deer shots worked great- lots of damage, big exits. Longest shot was 396. Quartering to, away, and straight on shots- chest or rectal- were PATHETIC!! I lost 3 deer--I never loose deer!! All the others ran 50 to 150 yards.
Just to be fair, this past year I took 4 more deer, but I was way more selective. I did all of them perfectly broadside and they all dropped with a lot of damage.
But, I don't hunt in a perfect world. I have one whole box left (for sale. Already sold another one). The partial box left will be for sighting in and groundhogs.
I would not recommend these bullets. The original Accubond is a different story. It's great, never failed me, and is everything the ABLR thought it would be.
Sorry I got a little wound up, but that bullet did that to me. What about the ELD-X? Jury is out. Answers by the end of summer.

Posts: 1862 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Answers

^^^^Wow, any body else have any simulare experiences with the ABLR?

Posts: 24 | Location: north | Registered: September 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by me?:
quote:
Answers

^^^^Wow, any body else have any simulare experiences with the ABLR?

WV Hitman, aka Doc is THE local authority. I'd dare say you'd do well to listen when he speaks on bullet performance.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
X2 on Doc. being the expert. If he says they are no good it would be enough for me. Welcome to SP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leupold Man,

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Doc with the expansion you have experienced with the long range accubond how would you expect them to perform when using a heavier than normal bullet in the smaller cartridges and starting them at a muzzle velocity of around 2200-2300fps. For example a 150 grain or heavier in a 7br or 7-30 waters?

Bruce

Posts: 1094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've wondered the same thing, what a 150 ABLR would do in a 7-30 carbine. Mine has a long throat so I could seat them out long to the lands. Been thinking of trying it, but I wonder if it's any improvement over the standard ballistic tip.

Posts: 157 | Location: GA | Registered: February 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've used the Nosler ABLR bullet to kill three deer. Two were with a 300 RUM rifle. One was with a 7 SAUM XP-100.

I've got pics in the rifle section of this site. Also have a post on here on the XP-100 kill as well.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Bruce,Heavier for caliber ABLR MIGHT work a little better, but I wouldn't put money on it. No matter what the velocity, it's still thin skinned and will come apart more rapidly than other bullets. Their jackets appear to be about as thick as an Amax. Some guys on here swear by them, but I had the same results as the ABLR- broadside OK (sort of), angled shots big problems. Can probably get away with them on antelopes and smallish deer, but wouldn't go bigger.
ffemt_123, I'd much rather use a BT. In all my years I've recovered a bunch of BTs, usually about 40% of original weight (thicker jacket, especially at the base). Of all the LRs I've recovered NO bullets and 2 jackets of about 5% of the original weight.
BTs are very good. Original ABs are far better (expand about like a BT, but stay together and penetrate

Left to right (all 6.5s): 2 BTs( better than usual retention), 3 Sierra Game Kings, 3 Horn. GMX, 2 ABs, 1 X
This is what's helped me form my opinions. Hope it helps.

Posts: 1862 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Doc,
Thank you!