Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP 100 adding swivel studs Login/Join 

posted
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for adding swivel studs to the XP? I have a 223 in the black stock and was wondering if I need to worry about possible cracking once installed.

Larry K
NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 11 | Location: Valparaiso IN | Registered: September 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I believe there is a specific insert made for the XP that uses the existing holes in the stock.

I believe all that is needed is the clearance hole for the threaded shank.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Freeze,

I believe he's talking about the black colored zytel factory stock. I'm fairly certain it does not have any holes. I would drill the hole where you want the swivel and install with a washer on the nut side then fill the channel area with epoxy around the nut to spread out the stress on the plastic from the bipod I'm assuming your going to use. Better yet I would get myself a Xmas present and replace the stock with one of aftermarket stocks with a wider forend and more material to install the swivel stud into. I have a difficult time holding those skinny factory forends steady and have replaced all mine, makes a huge difference.

2cents

Rick

Posts: 3523 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitemann:
Freeze,

I believe he's talking about the black colored zytel factory stock. I'm fairly certain it does not have any holes. I would drill the hole where you want the swivel and install with a washer on the nut side then fill the channel area with epoxy around the nut to spread out the stress on the plastic from the bipod I'm assuming your going to use. Better yet I would get myself a Xmas present and replace the stock with one of aftermarket stocks with a wider forend and more material to install the swivel stud into. I have a difficult time holding those skinny factory forends steady and have replaced all mine, makes a huge difference.

2cents

Rick

Nitemann, thanks for clarifying and correcting me.
I learn something everyday.

I have never seen a black version of the factory stock, and didn't realize it differed in anyway but color.

I apologise for my misleading first post.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Larry, I'm not sure about the black stocks but the brown ones I have had 3 or 4 holes in the forend so that you could insert a 38 special round into the hole or holes to add weight. Don't know why you couldn't drill a hole dead center through the bottom of one of those holes and use a washer & nut on the inside. I'd measure how much stock thickness before drilling in those holes. Rick's right about upgrading stocks to something a little easier to shoot. That way you wouldn't have to butcher your black one just in case you want to sell it. There are some good buys out there that won't break the bank.

Jon

Posts: 1603 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks all. There are holes for weights and I did find an adapter at Brownells. Still new to the XP Smile

Larry K
NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 11 | Location: Valparaiso IN | Registered: September 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did find an adapter at Brownells

Is that the one that clamps to the barrel?

Rick

Posts: 3523 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry K:
Thanks all. There are holes for weights and I did find an adapter at Brownells. Still new to the XP Smile

Larry K,

If you are planning to use a bipod, there is also an adapter plate available for the harris bipods (Adapter #8). The Harris kit comes with the adapter and stud.

Here is one example but feel free to use your favorite merchant to make the purchase ....
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...mington-xp-100-black

-Freeze