Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convert .221 Fireball to........ Login/Join 

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted
Hey gang,
Wanted to get some feed back. I recently purchased a 6mm Br Savage from this forum. It is the first heavy bench pistol I have owned. I am loving it so much I was thinking of converting my original XP-100 .221 into a heavy pistol. My question is? What calibers can I switch to using the same bolt? Is there a super accurate round that I can use? I know I will be changing the barrel and stock. Thank you in advance for your advise and knowledge.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey gang,Wanted to get some feed back. I recently purchased a 6mm Br Savage from this forum. It is the first heavy bench pistol I have owned. I am loving it so much I was thinking of converting my original XP-100 .221 into a heavy pistol. My question is? What calibers can I switch to using the same bolt? Is there a super accurate round that I can use? I know I will be changing the barrel and stock. Thank you in advance for your advise and knowledge

The bolt face can be opened up to most head sizes so it's pretty much a fielder's choice and the fielder's pocket book as to how much can an XP be customized. Calibers can be from meek and mild to big and wild. Big Grin

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Glenn is right that the bolt can be opened up to bigger case heads. If you don't want to spend the money to do that there are cartridges that you could shoot that are plenty accurate especially if long range isn't on the menu. Really depends on what you want to use it for.

For varmints you'd be hard pressed to beat a 20 vartarg. The 6x47 used to rule the roost with short range BR. Its nothing more than a 222 magnum case necked up to 6mm. A 6TCU would be another good one.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. So changing it to say a 22Br is just a matter of opening the bolt head, swapping barrels and adding an appropriate stock?
Any ball park idea of cost for the barrel and bolt work?

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'd guess its around $125-150 to open up a bolt and put in a sako or m16 extractor. To thread, chamber and crown a barrel will run from about $200-400 depending on who you have do the work. That doesn't include the barrel blank. If I were you I'd call Bob Green in PA and talk to him. Very friendly guy and he'll be able to answer all your questions. He's got very reasonable prices and his waiting time is short compared to most.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Thank you I will give him a call