Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's up with MOA? Login/Join 

Picture of Knucklehead 61
posted
I went to log onto the MOA website yesterday and found the site suspended. Does anyone have any knowledge of whats going on? It has been quite some time since they responded to emails and I haven't called in months.

Posts: 87 | Location: south of the piney woods | Registered: December 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I spoke to the company founder a few months back asking about a tight necked 6.5x47 Lapua chamber (which he confirmed was a neck turn reamer) and we chatted for a while about spare parts, the company, how the guns were manufactured. He was very nice, obviously retired and it was his home phone but he took time to help me out.

He said the new owner never built any guns, has plenty of parts and frames to make a good number of guns (IIRC it was 100 or so but I could be misremembering), and that the last time he spoke to him the new owner was interested in selling the company. After that the new owner wouldn't answer his phone calls.

I too noticed the MOA site was gone a few weeks ago. I guess that's that.

Hopefully the parts will surface with somebody who can help keep these guns running. Extraction was always a little iffy, and if someone tries to remove a barrel with the action closed it'll shear off the extractor. That's the #1 part I'd like to keep on hand. Also, the optics bases are MOA specific AFAIK and it would be nice to have a source since there are different styles- rail vs Lovell style. From what I've seen most MOAs don't come with the barrel wrench, which would be nice to have access to (it's a simple part), but a standard barrel wrench works still. The firing pins were of at least two different dimensions and can break, in fact I need to have one made but it's a simple part.

As far as barrels, I've spoken to a few guys that'll make you an MOA barrel. Cost is the same as a bolt action. Same goes for milled aluminum fore ends or fore end inserts, it'll just cost you for a custom part.

Posts: 90 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Basically out of business, have been for years. Only reason the website was up to help promote the long range match. They have their own site now( not near as fancy as the origonal but workable.

The current owner of MOA has another business that is financially better off so......

Maybe someday it will be bought by someone with a real interest in producing the MOA again

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1504 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
The MOA Maximum is currently dead.
I imagine the asking price is too high for anyone to seriously consider, given the fact that they haven't been produced for years now, and the last two owners never turned out anything on their own.
There is a lot of hand fitting (I have been told which takes time, which ends up being money) to put one together.
I feel bad for Rich, as this was his baby, and I really hoped someone would make successful go of it.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12167 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, guys. That was pretty much what I suspected.
I've been following MOA for the last couple of years, ever since one followed me home from a gun show. I like the pistol, yes ejection / extraction is iffy [keep a cleaning rod handy], and loading can be fiddly as well. Mine shoots great, but needs replacement of the extractor and several of the links involved. Also wanted to buy the new fore-end.
The 'new' owners never responded to inquiries very well.
Looks like it may be a 'safe-queen' for the foreseeable future. Thankfully, I don't have too much invested and have XP's, Contenders, and SSP's to play with. Smile

Posts: 87 | Location: south of the piney woods | Registered: December 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Jim Rockwell will make you a forend, if you want one for your MOA.
He is a good guy!

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12167 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
Not sure your barrel length on your MOA, but I have an extra BR style. Not sure if you are interested.

Tim
------------------------------

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6994 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of jroc
posted Hide Post
I'm gathering a few bits I need to make a run of the MOA Forends. I plan to do a run of about a dozen or so. I don't know much about them. I do have one that has be lent to me to get dimensions from. I do have some questions
1 - Are there different length forends?
2 - Do they all have the alu.inum inserts in them? If there are different lengths I'm assuming the aluminum insert is the same length in all of them. If I'm wrong let me know.
3 - The one I have is flat bottomed. Are they all flat bottom?
Any info you guys can give me will be appreciated. I'm probably 8 to 10 weeks.from.doing them. They are going to be between $100.00 and $125.00 shipped.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan/Montana | Registered: May 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim!

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
I have a factory forend and a set of factory grips if interested.

J.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4570 hunter,

Posts: 523 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jroc:
I'm gathering a few bits I need to make a run of the MOA Forends. I plan to do a run of about a dozen or so. I don't know much about them. I do have one that has be lent to me to get dimensions from. I do have some questions
1 - Are there different length forends?
2 - Do they all have the alu.inum inserts in them? If there are different lengths I'm assuming the aluminum insert is the same length in all of them. If I'm wrong let me know.
3 - The one I have is flat bottomed. Are they all flat bottom?
Any info you guys can give me will be appreciated. I'm probably 8 to 10 weeks.from.doing them. They are going to be between $100.00 and $125.00 shipped.

1. Originals were for only the 10 3/4 barrels and used the same forearm when Rich made the 14" barrel
2&3. The forearms with inserts were only for the wide flat bottom benchers forearm. There were some different forearm lengths but the insert was the same.

Another member here - Ken Sheehan - made a round bottom forearm with an insert for the MOA. Quality item!

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1504 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of jroc
posted Hide Post
Old leghumper. So your saying some forearms didn't havw the insert? Did the ones without inserts have a metal ferrule in them of any kind? Info appreciated.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan/Montana | Registered: May 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jroc:
Old leghumper. So your saying some forearms didn't havw the insert? Did the ones without inserts have a metal ferrule in them of any kind? Info appreciated.

Yes they did. I no longer have any forearms to check but I believe even the inserted forearms used the ferrule

----------------------
I am that idiot.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the fore-end offers, guys. My MOA, a '93 vintage 10 3/4", needs rehab to the internals before I can get along with new wood [the original is in great shape, anyway]. It seems to have been treated rather aggressively and has lots of slop in the extraction and bolt links. Still shoots fine, just aggravating.
At this point, I've cleaned the pistol, dismounted the scope, and put it in the safe for future action. I'd probably make my own wood at this juncture, just came in from the shop and couple of Contender fore-ends I'm making currently, it would be a new challenge. Smile

posted Hide Post
Jim
Any update on the BR fore arms?
When might we expect to see them?

Thx
DAN

Posts: 740 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have 3 MOAs, with one extra forend (4 total), no 2 are the same, different lengths and contours. 2 have the insert, but neither of them is a wide flat benchrest style. All have the brass ferrules for the screws.

“Why are you axin’ me?”
-Lizzie Borden’s mother

Posts: 67 | Location: Western NY | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post