Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have experience with...... Login/Join 

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted
Hey gang,
Tossing around ideas for a new build. Does anyone have experience with the
325 WSM. Ballistics look very promising. I know bullet choices might be limited. But I'm sure and accurate hard hitting load could be found.
Also if you do not think this is a good idea. Why? Do you believe a different round would be better in this size category?
Thank you. As always I am leaning on the vast knowledge of the folks on this sight.
Derek >>>-------->

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
To me, the .325 WSM splits the difference between .300 and .338 WSMs where none is needed. If you want a long range thumper a .338 WSM makes more sense if for no other reason than a much better range of bullets offered. Both use the same bullet weights while the .338 caliber has a slight velocity edge. For that matter, a .300 WSM is almost as good.

But I’m hardly one to critique an other shooter’s cartridge choices, I use some pretty oddball stuff myself. If the idea of an 8 mm handgun makes you happy, then by all means do it! Life’s too short to regret not doing something which makes you happy.

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 987 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I have a fantastic SSK .325 WSM XP. Killed 40+ deer with it, close to 100 groundhogs, 12' croc in Africa.
Very accurate out to 400 yds. (longest made on deer).
200 gr. ABs, 180 gr. BSTs, 200 gr. Sierra/Speer SPs work well on deer.
Biggest surprise is 200 gr. Sierra HPBT Match. Work great on groundhogs and especially on deer. Get 2+ exits and 3 1/2" internal damage, plus super accurate.
I've had a 3-12BPlex on it for 5+ years. Held up very well.

Posts: 1855 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me, the .325 WSM splits the difference between .300 and .338 WSMs where none is needed. If you want a long range thumper a .338 WSM makes more sense if for no other reason than a much better range of bullets offered. Both use the same bullet weights while the .338 caliber has a slight velocity edge. For that matter, a .300 WSM is almost as good.

I had a 338 WSM built a few years ago with the thoughts of a long range caliber, by trhe time you got to the heavy high B.C. bullets velocities was really low, two low in my opinion. With 200 grain bullets it was a thumper and great for hunting, but the 325WSM will do the same. 2cents

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I have a HS Precision in 325WSM. Like doc said 180 to 200 grain bullets are all you need. I don't think of it as a long range gun but for hunting big game out 350 yds or so which is as far as I would take a shot I think it is hard to beat. Not to mention it's just something different that not everyone has and is pretty cool.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post