Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brake on a factory XP 7mm08 barrel Login/Join 

posted
I'd like to hear from anyone that has put a brake on a factory XP 7-08 barrel. I remember Freeze asked about his 35 Rem earlier in the year and 40xMike has put some on some factory barrels. I guess what I'm wondering is, is the recoil reduction worth the cost on the skinny factory barrel profile?

Jon

Posts: 1626 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
most of thensode discharge brakes take out 50% or more recoil.

With the factory barrels your stuck threading 1/2-28

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not a 7-08 but close its a 260 Remington. There are before and after videos in the thread.

260 Rem. Muzzle brake

Bruce

Posts: 1094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link to the vids Bruce. Who's brake is that and who installed it?

Jon

Posts: 1626 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
40xmike put one of his radial brakes on a factory contour 7BR. Came out nice. It is slightly larger than the barrel diameter as the factory barrels are pretty thin. If you want maximum recoil reduction, the side discharge are the way to go.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iowa Fox:
Thanks for the link to the vids Bruce. Who's brake is that and who installed it?

Jon

That is a Ross brake and was installed by a gunsmith who works out of a gun shop not to far from me.

Bruce

Posts: 1094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
Jon,
If you're planning on shooting from prone use a side discharge! Prairie grass isn't that tasty. Eek Big Grin

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3517 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Whats the muzzle diameter?

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Aaron, I gave it a quick measurement when I got it in July and if my feeble memory is working it is .565- I think .562 would go for 9/16 but that is real close. My original plan was to buy it and pull the barrel for the McMillan stock that is coming from the group buy. Then another xp popped up for a price no one could turn down. Then a few more things popped up in the shooting world which shot my budget for a least the rest of the year. Now I'm wondering if I could get a season out of the barrel I wasn't going to use. If I unscrew the barrel and have someone cut the threads and index the brake to the sight screw holes is about the only thing that would work dollars wise, much more and I might as well screw a McGowen barrel on it.

Jon

posted Hide Post
9/16" isn't gonna work. There's no shoulder for the brake to push against. 1/2x28 will work. Not ideal with a bore that large though. And it wouldn't leave much metal around the brake when its tapered in. Would be better off not tapering it all the way down.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
When their that thin and you want to taper it you need to bond it or pin it

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bond it? Like silver solder?

Aaron