Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOA in 7mm-6.5 Rem Mag Login/Join 

posted
I picked up a MOA set with 44, 454, 250 Savage, and a 7mm-6.5 Remington Magnum barrels. It came with RCBS dies and plenty of 6.5 Rem Mag brass, or I'd have passed on the odd but easy to make wildcat. Barrel lengths are all 14 inches.

Shown is the loaded round with IMR 4350 and a 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip with 30-06 for comparison. Like other MOAs, cam over sizing gives the best chambering and extraction. Thankfully this one didn't require neck turning like the 6.5 Lapua MOA.

Does anybody have experience with this round? There's scant information about it on the internet and I don't see it in my loading books. Case capacity is about that of the 280 Remington. Any idea why a person would have ordered this round instead of the 284 or 280?

This gun needs a new extractor, so on the off chance anyone has a spare I'd love to avoid having one made from bar stock. I spoke with the founder of MOA and the only extractors he has were cast of the wrong steel and won't take heat treat properly.

Posts: 91 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Seems like a neat wildcat to me. Like a SAUM before the SAUM existed. I can see why a guy would pick that over a 284 or 280, brass being the reason. Lots of belted mag brass that could be turned into that.

Aaron

Posts: 2755 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Closest I can come is my 6.5 Rem mag in a Competitor pistol. The Competitor doesn't like the higher end loads and gets sticky[very weak extractor setup] so I run mid range loads. I would think you could start with mid range 6.5 mag data and carefully work from there. Watch the throat length as my 6.5 has a very short throat. Should be a fun round. thumbup

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Junebug, the MOA doesn't have the most positive extraction either so some trial and error is in order. Loads that go in with finger pressure drop right out after shooting, so I couldn't guess.

Between 6.5 RM data and looking at 7mm with the same bullet weight (bearing surface) and the same case capacity I don't feel unsafe putting loads together. The strong action gives some security, like working up loads in a Ruger No 1 or High Wall.

Posts: 91 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would just go slow and pay attention to what the gun is trying to tell you. Mid range loads do well for me ,accuracy wise and on deer.

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post