Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on a 6mm Dasher for hunting. Login/Join 

posted
In my quest to convert Benchrest Xp's back to hunting i have been looking at barrel chamber selections. I have one being converted thanks to Hoggin for the 7mm-08 round, which is proven to take down deer and hog. Is it feasible to use the 6mm Dasher round for deer and hog hunting. I have brass and dies for this round left over and would like to use them, but dont want to spend money on something that hits great on paper but dont have the knock down power. What do you think? Thanks, Roger.

Navy Chief. Retired.

Posts: 330 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
The Dasher would work great.
90 grain Nosler Accubond or a Nosler 100 grain Partition or like bullets will kill great.
I have seen a 16" 243 Win do a good job of killing with 105 A-Max's too FWIW.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12174 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
if your current heavy barrel is 6 dasher it could be tuned down to a lighter taper

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Those barrels are gone. They were heavy stainless, 1-14 twist, and
18 inch long.

Navy Chief. Retired.

Posts: 330 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Get at least an 8T.

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Aaron, that is the twist rate if i go that route. Still trying to decide. The 243 caliber Ernie mentioned is also a very good option. I have plenty of 6mm bullets of various grains to load and test for it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Roger Davis,

Navy Chief. Retired.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
2767 fps 105 grain JLK 6 Dasher XP

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12174 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of snowsnake
posted Hide Post
Cant speak for the Dasher but I have taken several deer with an XP in 6BR using Sierra's 85g bthp. All were pass thru's and showed plenty of internal damage.

Posts: 234 | Location: S.W. VA | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post