Specialty Pistols
Rear Grip Savage Striker

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/2780072996

January 01, 2021, 10:16 AM
Predator_huntin
Rear Grip Savage Striker
I posted this over on the Savage Shooters forum thinking I might get a quick answer...lots of views but only one reply that wasn’t exactly related so thought I would post it here...I know there’s not a lot of Savage guys on here but I figured it was worth a shot.

I'm working on a striker project and I'm seriously thinking about moving it to a rear grip to get a better trigger pull in it. I've got the factory trigger breaking now at just a tad under 4 pounds (my trigger pull gauge isn’t digital, it’s the wheeler model with slider). Not terrible but not as nice as i would prefer for this pistol.

My question on the rear grip conversion...I would like to put it in an MDT or XLR chassis. I know the action screw spacing is different from the striker vs the standard Savage short action. Is it as simple as me buying a left handed chassis and having my gunsmith drill/tap the bottom of the striker action to put the mounting screws in the right place with the chassis?

If this proves more difficult than that I saw Jim is offering rear grip striker stocks and I would be ok with laminate...probably be cheaper in the long run anyways versus the cost of the chassis. Right now it is a factory 308, if I can find a heavy or varmint small shank take off barrel in 308 I will have it chopped down and threaded 5/8-24. If not it will get a pre-fit in 6.5 Grendel and a PTG bolt. I kinda don’t need another Grendel as my Encore in that caliber shoots amazingly small groups. I thought about a pre-fit in 6mm ARC also to have something a bit different. I already have the wrenches waiting for a barrel swap...I just don’t like the skinny factory barrel. This will be a hunting gun for coyotes to deer/bear/hogs but will also be used for fun range time also.

So what’s your opinions...rear grip or leave it center grip? Laminate vs chassis? 308 vs 6.5 Grendel vs 6mm ARC?

Chris
January 01, 2021, 12:50 PM
jsh
I would be more inclined to 308 vs 6.5BR/6BR (or anything off the 6BR case,17-35)

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!
January 01, 2021, 02:51 PM
Predator_huntin
quote:
Originally posted by jsh:
I would be more inclined to 308 vs 6.5BR/6BR (or anything off the 6BR case,17-35)

Trust me I have wanted a 6mm or 7mm BR for years but I'm not a full time reloader. I have the equipment, I just don't have the time...For now I need to keep with something that factory ammo is available for. With my work schedule being 70 hours most weeks, and squeezing in family time...it doesn't leave much for reloading/hunting/ shooting. Right now I'd rather focus on the hunting and shooting part...

Chris
January 01, 2021, 03:07 PM
BruceP
I can’t answer your question but I’ve thought about converting my 22br Striker to rear grip also. What trigger are you looking at?

Bruce
January 02, 2021, 02:59 PM
Predator_huntin
quote:
Originally posted by BruceP:
I can’t answer your question but I’ve thought about converting my 22br Striker to rear grip also. What trigger are you looking at?

Bruce

I am considering the Rifle Basix SAV2. 4 oz to 2 pound i believe? I'm shooting from the hip so that might now be exactly the range.

I found a smoking deal on a new take off 308 win barrel from a Savage 12fv, so I'm most likely going with 308 Winchester for now after having that one shortened and threaded. Now just to decide on center grip or rear grip. I'm leaning heavily on a rear grip with that RB trigger and one of Jim's stocks...

Chris
January 02, 2021, 07:05 PM
BruceP
quote:
Originally posted by Predator_huntin:
quote:
Originally posted by BruceP:

Bruce

I am considering the Rifle Basix SAV2. 4 oz to 2 pound i believe? I'm shooting from the hip so that might now be exactly the range.

I found a smoking deal on a new take off 308 win barrel from a Savage 12fv, so I'm most likely going with 308 Winchester for now after having that one shortened and threaded. Now just to decide on center grip or rear grip. I'm leaning heavily on a rear grip with that RB trigger and one of Jim's stocks...

I’ve looked at the specs on that trigger too. If I do convert my 22br I will be calling Jim to check on a stock.

Bruce
January 03, 2021, 10:44 AM
WNY Bill
Do some searching. There was a guy on the Savage site that started with a Choate chassis stock and a left hand short Savage action. Lots of cutting and sanding but ended up with a rear grip Striker clone. I remember seeing some pictures on one of the sites. Turned out quite well and shot lights out! Since SSS no longer builds triggers, about the only thing left is a Savage 2, you can get them down to 6oz, but pay attention when you close the bolt!
January 04, 2021, 09:26 AM
Nor Cal Mikie
Richard's Micro Fit makes a "pistol grip" stock that could be cut down and shortened and made into a rear grip without too much trouble. And the price is right too. Cool
Go real easy if you go with the Savage II trigger. You breath on it and it goes off. I would consider the standard Rifle Basix. Mine works like a dream and isn't THAT sensitive to be concerned with.
January 04, 2021, 08:13 PM
BruceP
quote:
Originally posted by Nor Cal Mikie:
Richard's Micro Fit makes a "pistol grip" stock that could be cut down and shortened and made into a rear grip without too much trouble. And the price is right too. Cool
Go real easy if you go with the Savage II trigger. You breath on it and it goes off. I would consider the standard Rifle Basix. Mine works like a dream and isn't THAT sensitive to be concerned with.

My striker is a 22br that is mostly a bench gun so lite will be a good thing.

Bruce
January 05, 2021, 10:38 AM
Predator_huntin
quote:
Originally posted by Nor Cal Mikie:

Thanks for the info Mikie, mine will primarily be a hunting gun so the standard one. Most of my TC’s are in the 2-2.5 pound range and I’m happy with that.

Chris
January 05, 2021, 11:02 AM
Handi 204
My Striker trigger is about 3 lbs anything lower and it goes off. Factory trigger just have to live with it. Safety First
January 05, 2021, 11:11 AM
Nor Cal Mikie
For bench shooting, you can live with it. Cool
Handed my rig off to one of the boys when we were shooting ground squirrels. Before I could say "hair trigger", BANG!! eek2 I was the only one shooting it the rest of that day. Wink
January 05, 2021, 02:24 PM
Sawfish
Read my post in the thread "Anyone doing trigger job on Savage Striker" below.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling
January 09, 2021, 08:30 AM
Predator_huntin
Well the deal I had found on a 308 barrel fell through, but found another barrel locally that interested me even more. Picked up a custom small shank (unknown no markings except caliber on it) in .221 Fireball with the appropriate bolt head and magazine follower. Its a 24" heavy barrel, measures .850 at the muzzle. Going to get it chopped down next week to 14" and install it on the Striker. I'm planning now on opening the barrel channel of the factory synthetic grip to fit this barrel and stay center grip. I saw Blue Avengers pics on how to cut the Rifle Basix SAV1 trigger to fit my gen trigger so planning on doing that. Now just have to find 221 headspace gauges in stock somewhere or a set that I can borrow/rent and the project will begin!

Chris
January 09, 2021, 09:53 AM
CTShooter
My Striker trigger is great. I need to figure out how to document it. I just went through it slowly and made it work.
January 09, 2021, 11:25 AM
Pat
Cody Weiser has three of the Choate Stocks . That he has cut off and turned into pistols . One of his is a .308 .
January 09, 2021, 02:42 PM
Predator_huntin
quote:
Originally posted by Pat:
Cody Weiser has three of the Choate Stocks . That he has cut off and turned into pistols . One of his is a .308 .

Cody is the man. I have a Choate stock that I cut down like he did and used a 223 rifle in it (barrel was 17" and overall was 27" to stay on the safe side). It worked out very nicely and was my gateway entry into the bolt pistol world to see how I would like it. And boy did I love it. I've still got that stock awaiting a virgin action for the next build after this Striker is complete. I decided to give the center grip a real try to see how I liked it as I knew I liked the rear grip configuration. Figured it would be best to experience all versions and then be able to pick which I like best.

Chris
January 16, 2021, 12:07 PM
Sawcarver
I know a guy who has drilled and tapped the bottom of his striker to fit an MDT chassis. It worked for him
January 16, 2021, 01:20 PM
Predator_huntin
quote:
Originally posted by Sawcarver:
I know a guy who has drilled and tapped the bottom of his striker to fit an MDT chassis. It worked for him

Thanks Sawcarver. I was thinking it would be that simple. I have decided to leave this one center grip & go with a grip from Jim for it. The 221 fireball barrel ended up being a large shank so I can't use it. Now back on the hunt for a barrel, once I have it I will get with Jim on a laminate stock for it

Chris
January 17, 2021, 11:46 AM
K9TXS
The MDT stock that Cody used for one of his 308 builds is very light weight. I was going to use the same stock Cody used but after hearing from him and the recoil it has, I decided not to use the MDT stock. The XLR stock is very similar to what I have now. My stock started out as an ARS stock and it was a big mistake. Long story short, I had my gunsmith modify my ARS stock and it now highly resembles the XLR. I don't remember the finished weight of the stock, but it is much more than the MDT stock I was looking at using. I should have gone with the XLR stock to begin with, but I didn't know about it at the time.

I'm shooting 20 Vartarg and 223 on a switch barrel remington and the recoil is really nothing to speak of at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: K9TXS,
January 11, 2022, 02:28 PM
PBMAX84
Strikers have different action screw spacing than rifle actions? Is that true?
January 11, 2022, 04:54 PM
Handi 204
Sometimes you can find a Savage barrel on the Accurate Shooters site very reasonable.
January 11, 2022, 06:41 PM
Predator_huntin
quote:
Originally posted by Handi 204:
Sometimes you can find a Savage barrel on the Accurate Shooters site very reasonable.

It’s been a year, guess I should have posted an update by now. I’m in the final stages of this one, went with a pre-fit 6.5 Grendel. Going to leave it center grip however.

Chris
January 11, 2022, 08:42 PM
blueavenger
quote:
Originally posted by PBMAX84:
Strikers have different action screw spacing than rifle actions? Is that true?
yes
January 12, 2022, 08:31 AM
Nitemann
Depends on what rifle action your inquiring about.
January 12, 2022, 10:11 AM
PBMAX84
That wasn't my question. I'm not so stupid that I don't know there are different screw spacings for different rifle actions. The original post stated, "different spacing than rifle actions". Having only very recently purchased my first Striker I was surprised to hear this as I never expected Savage to make an action different from the rest just to make a pistol.
January 12, 2022, 07:36 PM
jtf
I am not a fan of cutting up a perfectly good and now collectable Striker. I bought an action from the custom shop and had a rear grip stock made by a shop in east TN. It never suited my needs and kept a second stock pistol without changes and use it now in .223.

There is a stock maker in MT that makes a very nice wood center grip for a factory Striker and I may have one someday, Jim Rockwell.

I have looked into the new Savage factory chassis last week. I wouldn't cut up an old one for the aggravation. The new factory 110 pistols are due on the shelves very soon in rear grip according to a factory rep last week.
January 12, 2022, 07:51 PM
blueavenger
quote:
Originally posted by PBMAX84: The original post stated, "different spacing than rifle actions". Having only very recently purchased my first Striker I was surprised to hear this as I never expected Savage to make an action different from the rest just to make a pistol.

think it was done to differentiate the handgun action while using mostly rifle parts.
May 06, 2022, 09:46 AM
HandCanonShootr
For my Savage Rear grip SP, the PTAction went into a pistolgrip B&C stock that I cut off the buttstock. only an aluminum stiffener in the way easy to cut. (Elec crosscut) worked really well.

That PTA comes with Savages target trigger, no need for a replacement. Do pay attention to bolt spacing when buying a new Sav stock.

Mike B

ps if you'd like to discuss, or need a pic or 3 email me at lapopular@aol.com

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis