Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PTG bolts Login/Join 

posted
I see a lot of people who build XP's
And change there bolt to a PTG
Some explain why and what the difference is between factory
And PTG

Thank Ken

Posts: 495 | Location: Maryland  | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
One piece bolt(Yes Rem. bolts break), fluted if wanted, threaded bolt knob, can be made to any bolt diameter desired. Nuff said!

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You can buy a 1 piece bolt for about the same as paying to have the bolt face changed by a smith. If you want to change bolt faces and a smith is going to do it you're limited to M16 or Sako's.

Another thing that's nice is being able to specify the bolt diameter to get the best fit to your receiver. If your receiver raceway is reamed to .705" you can get a bolt thats ground to .704" so that there is very little tolerance and the bolt can't tip when cocked. Some people like Gre-Tan will sleeve a bolt to get the best fit. But that's one more thing your paying the smith for that you could have gotten with a PTG bolt.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Now I understand better
Also I see from the information
That it is best to let the smith order the
bolt after he makes his measurements.

Posts: 495 | Location: Maryland  | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you're not going to ream the raceway then you should let the smith order the bolt. If you're going to ream to .705" then you would be ok to order a .704". I have a PTG bolt in one xp. I actually like the sleeves better than the whole bolt body being larger. The reason is that when the bolt is worked if the whole body is the big diameter it wants to bind in the action. PTG's one piece bolts have a fairly long handle which makes the problem bigger. I have a small round knob on the end of the handle to make it as short as possible. If the bolt body is sleeved like Gre-Tan only .4" at the rear and about .3" at the front is the larger diameter. And the bushings are stoned so that the larger diameter is only when the bolt is turned into battery. I have both and the gre-tan is much smoother.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Any idea what these bolts are worth?
Mike

------------------------------
Enjoy your family and friends today as they may not be here tomorow.

Posts: 482 | Location: Manitoba | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In Canada? Without the guts they are about $160ish here new. Never bought a used one.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
Thanks.
I picked up an xp for the action but the bolt is UGLY. Whoever had it drilled holes in it.
Mike

------------------------------
Enjoy your family and friends today as they may not be here tomorow.

Posts: 482 | Location: Manitoba | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
They used to do that for silhouette to make weight. I've heard the weight restrictions used to be a lot tougher.

Aaron

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
Aaron is correct. A lot of the XPs were hacked up to make weight. Weights were Originally set based on the guns at the time. Add a wood stock and they were over weight. Some flattened and drilled the bolt handles. Some I have seen even drilled holes in the bolt body. nuts The weight limits have since been raised.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a PT&G XP-100 bolt in my 6PPC XP-100. I went with a one piece .700" diameter bolt, fluted, and cone bolt face. No binding and a superbly accurate pistol. IMHO it's a heck of a buy compared to the alternative.

Posts: 53 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
PTG makes good stuff. Just remember that the bolt is not a drop in replacement . Gunsmith needs to fit your bolt. Bruce

Posts: 717 | Location: Pa | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssphunter:
Thanks.
I picked up an xp for the action but the bolt is UGLY. Whoever had it drilled holes in it.
Mike

Mike, If the holes do not compromise the integrity of the bolt it might make a good switch barrel frame. That way you could use it to shoot 2 classes at the MOA. I'm not sure what customs would be like for you with a spare barrel maybe even a spare stock when you cross the border. Just a thought to try and help you spend more money.

Jon

Posts: 1628 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am well pleased with the PTG bolt I used in my latest build.

I opted for the PTG due to the fact it is a one piece bolt and you can order it spec'd out to your exact needs, ie; bolt face, extractor, fluting, etc. As Aaron said, sleeving the existing bolt will get you where you want to be. But as was stated, you can specify a PTG out in one shot. They make great stuff, are in high demand and in turn, prepare for a 5 or so week wait.

Here's the route I went on my build.......

http://specialtypistols.infopo...6077864/m/1110036086

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post