Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel manufacturer and round Login/Join 

posted
Now that my XP700 project is surprisingly falling together, I'm to the point of barrel shopping. I contacted Shilen and told them what I wanted, 15" straight .900 stainless. Shilen wouldn't give me a direct answer and length I requested. So what barrel manufacturer is popular with the XP gang? I'm trying to decide on either 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08 Rem. I mainly shoot paper but the thought of feral pig hunting has crossed my mind. Thanks in advance

Posts: 37 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
One more thing it doesn't matter if it's prefit or Remage style.

Posts: 37 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I have Douglas barrels on many of my XPs made by SSK. Very accurate. Never had problems with them. Quality work by gunsmiths that been in the business for close to 40 years.
Never been impressed with 6.5 Needmore. Seen it perform poorly on groundhogs, deer, elk. 7mm-08 has wide range of very good bullets. I'd go with it.

Posts: 1864 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
99% of what I use in the shop is Bartline, Brux, and krieger.

Years ago....I ordered a premium air Gauged Douglas....I was building a rifle for my wife. It looked wonderful on the outside.....and then I looked down the bore on an AIR GUAGED barrel and there was no riffling....only the boring had been done...so not only did they miss a manufacturing step but they missed the QC as well. Anymore I avoid Douglas and shillen....I know for the same price I can guaranty quality and accuracy from the 3 listed above.

Never used a pre fit but I have heard good things about the McGowen pre fits.

6.5 creed has been a popular xp chambering over the past couple years....Customers have been quite successful with it killing steel, paper, USA animals to include elk, and atleast one customer took it to Africa for plains game.

7-08 is also a solid round for hunting. If you plan to shoot factory ammo go creedmoor all day long.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the OP wants a ready-to-screw-in barrel, not one to send off to a gunsmith. I have nothing for him, my last XP was rebarrelled with an SS Hart over 20 years ago by an experienced smith in .250-3000. Still aggs in the .4s and .5s.

The Creedmoor’s biggest advantage is fitting into a short action rifle. From a real-world shooting standpoint few will notice any difference between it and the 7-08. Both can be extremely accurate. The 6.5 has a small advantage with light varmint loads, the 7-08 has a small advantage for larger game - but either will do what the other will just fine. Unless he is obsessed with long range ballistic tables - in which case I’ll say a prayer for him.....

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 991 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Let me rephrase it. Seems every barrel manufacture defines "pre fit" differently. Shoulder or Remage style.

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
Without having the experience with many different bbl mfgs, let me say that when I rechambered my XP100R, the action was sent to McGowan to fit my 6BR bbl from them, adding a 3rd party brake that I supplied. They also coordinated very nice action truing (outside work by employee methinks) and fit the bbl nicely.
Had to ship back due to (being unhappy with) fit of my brake, for better blending.

end result: Very happy with them, their bbl, their service, accuracy, chambering.

My handloading does not include custom neck dia. My chamber is "No-Turn" 6BR Norma. 1:10 twist shoots .3MOA to 300yds, almost boring on a 6x6 plate at over 600yds, last range trip she just plain out shot a nice Rem 700 sniper-rig at 800yds/gusty on steel (5x2" steel p-dogs) He had way better BC then I.

So McGowan thumbs up. I would also use Chris (Hoggin) to chamber my aftermarket bbl, he was great on some non-XP work, what I saw of him at WY-Shot, leaves me confident in his work.

Mike B

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HandCanonShootr,

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
A prefit that you are going to install yourself and not do any machining will need to be a remage style with a nut. If you want a brake you'll need to install the barrel, mark where the top of the barrel is so the smith will know where to index the brake. Spin the barrel back off and send it to your gunsmith.

I would suggest a McGowen or Criterion, I've had both and they are performers.

Posts: 961 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What are you guys doing about barrels length? Having it made to your specs or accepting what they sell and shortening to desired length? Reason I ask is I've inquired with a couple manufacturers and getting a run a round over length, Shilen and Douglas to be exact not that buying from them.

posted Hide Post
I sent James at Northland Shooter Supply and email and told him what I was building. He replied back and said just give him a call when I'm ready and that they have made barrels short as 9". Now that's customer service. Criterion barrel it'll be.

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I always pay for a rifle length barrel for my XP's and the gunsmith uses about 15-16" of it and I'm fine with that. All of my XP builds I have had done were with Kreiger barrels. The best that they make and contour I want.
I have one XP that has a Shilen barrel. It was built by someone at Shilen Barrel Company years back. It is a 222 Rem Mag, 15" bull and it is a shooter. I have some very small groups on targets I saved when developing loads using the 60 grain Sierra flat base, hollow point. It is a thick skin bullet that stands up to high velocities in a fast twist barrel.
Good luck on your build.

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3081 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You may want to take a look at Lilja barrels

Posts: 17 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Now that I've decided on a manufacture, Criterion. I've been doing some research on what round and felt recoil. I was thinking 7mm-08 but that little 6BR is really looking good.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txhornet55:
You may want to take a look at Lilja barrels

I took a look. If I'm reading them correctly what their barrels require finish machining.

posted Hide Post
After doing some research I finally came to a decision. I decided on a Criterion varmint contour 16" in 6MM BR Norma threaded. Next on the buying list will be a center grip stock from Jim.

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeXP700:
Now that I've decided on a manufacture, Criterion. I've been doing some research on what round and felt recoil. I was thinking 7mm-08 but that little 6BR is really looking good.

A guy recently shot a 1" group @ 1k with a 6BR Ackley (Wilson) rifle. Really opened my eyes to the possibilities of that lil case.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6522 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Keep us posted on your progress as I enjoy what other guys are doing. I'm down to waiting for the last part myself, the barrel, but I think it should be here in two weeks. I started with a Rem 700 single shot from Buds, a rear grip McMillan, jewell trigger. I finally decided to go with a Brux nut job barrel. I would have used Criterion but I didn't like the freebore on their reamer plus I would have had to open the channel in the stock a bit for the nut. I doubt I'll ever see McMillan run the stocks again so I didn't want to have to open the stock up. For a brake I'm going to try one of Nathan Wrights self timing which I already have sitting here. If you have to ship a marked barrel out to have your brake timed you will have 40-50 dollars of freight plus the machine work time.

https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/beast-2-piece-brakes

Jon

Posts: 1624 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'll let ya'll know in about nine to fifteen weeks. Big Grin
The wait for the barrel is killing me. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.

posted Hide Post
Far as a brake goes I'm going to wait to see how this 6BR feels. My first XP was chambered in 35 Rem. I have access to a lathe anytime I need and I might turn out a brake myself.

posted Hide Post
Barrel showed up this afternoon. The workmanship is superb.

Jon

Posts: 1624 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
What twist rate is the 6BR going to have?
6BR XP with some old Remington ammo at 255 yards.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mr Ernie I'm having it cut with a 1-8" twist

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeXP700:
Mr Ernie I'm having it cut with a 1-8" twist

Yeah, that's good for 105-107g, your twist will dictate the bullet weight range.

--> Ernie, at least he will not be TOO ballistically challenged. Right? laugh

George- Good choice on the twist, my 6BR XP has a 10 twist that limits her to 85-87-90g range of bullets, these don't have the same higher BCs that the 105-107g range has. At a (long) past WY-Shot my XP/87g VMAX, made hits at 918y but not beyond, was truly best at 6-700y max range. Those 87s were quite challenged next to the other calibers being shot. Your choice of twist would be my only change if a "do-over".
Not that there is anything wrong with a 10T 6BR. My pistol shoots so well at my home (200-220y) range, I'm very happy with her.

My 2 cents...
Mike B

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well after a wait of seventeen weeks my barrel is scheduled for delivery Wednesday.