Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HS Precision 2000P question Login/Join 

posted
I just purchased one of these and the bolt lift is MUCH stiffer than any of my XP-100's. Is that normal?

Posts: 17 | Location: NorthLeftCoast | Registered: March 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Does this happen after you fire a round or with no round in the chamber? Mine are snug, when you lock down into battery or lifting when there is no round in the chamber. Do you know how many rounds have been fired?
My HS is a 300 SAUM and is probably just getting broke in with less than probably 300 rounds through it.
What caliber is the HS you have? Did you get here on the SP site?
Not too many of these being sold since they are not making them anymore from what I have heard.

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3081 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. It's the same on a fired round, nowhere near max, or an empty chamber. I bought it off GB. I doubt it's been fired much. It was advertised as a 7-08 but when it arrived it was a .284.

Mark

Posts: 17 | Location: NorthLeftCoast | Registered: March 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Maybe some grease on the lugs is needed.

And the Cam surface on the back of the bolt

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
I have one in 7 Saum. No such issues.
Derek

Posts: 910 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggin:
Maybe some grease on the lugs is needed.

And the Cam surface on the back of the bolt

Lugs and camming surface are well lubed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arrowflinger:
I have one in 7 Saum. No such issues.
Derek

Thank you for the feedback.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Give H-S a call if you can't figure it out.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Bolt lift on opening only or issues when closing as well? If only when lifting the bolt to open the action then call HS as Ernie stated.

Rick

Posts: 3551 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy your .284. That is a great round. I have one in a custom XP100 and one in an Custom Shop Encore, I will soon have a bolt action rifle in .284 when my smith finishes. I told no hurry.
Post some photos when you get a chance and hope you get your issues resolved.
HS doesn't make the pistols anymore but it is the same action they use on their rifles from what I've been told.

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3081 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitemann:
Bolt lift on opening only or issues when closing as well? If only when lifting the bolt to open the action then call HS as Ernie stated.

Rick

Opening only. Closes fine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McClura:
I hope you enjoy your .284. That is a great round. I have one in a custom XP100 and one in an Custom Shop Encore, I will soon have a bolt action rifle in .284 when my smith finishes. I told no hurry.
Post some photos when you get a chance and hope you get your issues resolved.
HS doesn't make the pistols anymore but it is the same action they use on their rifles from what I've been told.

Mike

.284 is more that I needed, or wanted. Was supposed to be a 7-08. If I get the bolt issue settled I'll probably re-barrel it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
.284 is more that I needed, or wanted. Was supposed to be a 7-08. If I get the bolt issue settled I'll probably re-barrel it.

Congrats on the new gun. I'm sure you were disappointed to find out it was not the caliber you were expecting. I've got XP's in 7-08 and 284 and they're both fine guns. If I could only have one of my two guns it'd be the 7-08 because it's lighter, easier to handle and adequate for what I do. My 284 has a heavy barrel w/ a break, but it does things performance wise the 7-08 can't do. For now, I intend to keep (and enjoy) both guns. Norma and Peterson both now make 284 brass (in addition to Win but it's been a long time since I've seen Win brass available). I'd think about trying some loads and see how it shoots before rebarreling it. My 284 likes Reloder 17 powder and a number of different bullets, including 120 gr Barnes TTSX, 140 gr NAB and 150 gr NBT.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1676 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary T:
quote:

Congrats on the new gun. I'm sure you were disappointed to find out it was not the caliber you were expecting. I've got XP's in 7-08 and 284 and they're both fine guns. If I could only have one of my two guns it'd be the 7-08 because it's lighter, easier to handle and adequate for what I do. My 284 has a heavy barrel w/ a break, but it does things performance wise the 7-08 can't do. For now, I intend to keep (and enjoy) both guns. Norma and Peterson both now make 284 brass (in addition to Win but it's been a long time since I've seen Win brass available). I'd think about trying some loads and see how it shoots before rebarreling it. My 284 likes Reloder 17 powder and a number of different bullets, including 120 gr Barnes TTSX, 140 gr NAB and 150 gr NBT.

I bought it shoot silly-wets and for that application it has a couple of issues. So I'll either re-barrel or sell it.

posted Hide Post
Check the firing pin spring pressure and pin fall. Could be excessive causing your issues.

Proud NRA Life Member

Posts: 264 | Location: texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I sent an email to HS wherein I clearly stated the camming surfaces and lugs were well greased. Their response was that I should lube the camming surface. Even included a pic. Failing that I could send in it. My prevoius experiences with HS made the latter option a LAST resort. So, I did what I should have done sooner and took the bolt apart. The mainspring appears to be too long and is all wadded up and binding inside the bolt body. I took a pic and sent it to HS. Waiting on a response from them.

posted Hide Post
HS is sending me a new spring. They wanted me to send it back but I convinced them to try the spring, first.

posted Hide Post
Well Mark, looks like your 2000P is headed my way via Gunbroker. How'd that new spring work out?

Posts: 92 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The new spring is about 5/8" shorter than the one that was in it and doesn't bind like the original spring did. It's much better than it was but it still seems a little stiff but that might be partially due to not having been shot much. I'll be intetested to hear what you think.

posted Hide Post
I can't imagine how bad it was before, because it's borderline unusable with the replacement spring.

I put a Remington Model 7 spring in there and it feels normal now. I just put together some loads with Hybrid 100V and Barnes 145 LRX bullets in Norma brass. I hope it doesn't have ignition problems with what is a significantly shorter spring.

Does anybody know if I can drop a Model 7 trigger in this gun?

Otherwise I put a 3-12 Burris pistol scope on it and it's sweet. Lightweight, perfect scope position, comfortable grip.

Posts: 92 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming it's a center grip so I would say no. I put a new trigger in a rifle the other day and when finished the bolt lift was terrible. Was driving me nuts, pulled the safety lever off to see if anything was binding and bolt lift was normal without the safety lever in place. Replaced the safety lever with another I had and that fixed the issue. Not saying that's your problem but wouldn't hurt to try. I would also look into the trigger as you never know, may not be clean, put together correctly or adjusted properly so as to bind up things.

Rick

Posts: 3551 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hybrid 100V and a 145 grain Barnes LRX, only had a chance to get it on paper with the first two rounds then shot these three at 50 yards. A little bit of vertical, but I was shooting out of the bed of my truck in 100 degree weather.

The heavy bolt lift issue was the firing pin spring. I think it was a Rem 700 length spring- MUCH longer than a Model 7 spring. A Remington 7 spring gives me normal bolt lift and time will tell if it's proper ignition, but so far so good.

It's now wearing a Burris 3-12x pistol scope which has excellent eye relief for a mid-grip and my short arms, but I'm still getting used to the optics since I use Leupold on all my other pistols.