Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lone Eagle pistol repair Login/Join 

posted
I bought a Lone Eagle pistol today. I put a piece of sized brass in the chamber and pulled the trigger. The case did not have a primer. Now I cannot rotate the action to remove the case. Does anyone have a solution?
Thanks. Tom

Posts: 285 | Location: upstate PA | Registered: September 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I got the case out by inserting a cleaning rod into the barrel. The action rotated and the case came out. Thank you for your help. Tom

Posts: 285 | Location: upstate PA | Registered: September 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of straight8
posted Hide Post
I might be wrong, I know it's a NO-NO to dry fire a Competitor, and since these the same type pistol, I think that would apply to Lone Eagle also, something in the firing mechanism breaks when dry fired.
Rog

------------------------------
XP's: 223, 250AI, 308 Imp, 375/350, 416 Whammy, 458X2"
Contender: 22LR, 375 JDJ, 500 HWP
Encore: 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 375 H&H, 340 WBY, 416 Taylor, 450 Alaskan, 500 Linebaugh
Semi: 45acp, 460 Rowland

Posts: 1141 | Location: "Y" City, Arkansas | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have since read that you should not dry fire the Lone Eagle. The dealer told me to try the trigger which I did twice. I believe that the problem was with the case as it was a .308 necked down to .260 and probably had a neck that was too thick. I normally use .243 brass for my .260.
Tom

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
MRI does not recommend the use of reloaded ammunition with the LE because it is very sensitive to case length, and the cannon breech has very little camming power to chamber or extract cases that are too long. I use reloads in mine by either using unfired brass for the first round, or fitting the cases to the chamber as you would a break open with excess headspace. If you need a copy of the LE factory manual, PM me your address, or email to the address in my profile. Thanks.

Marvin

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3510 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a Competitor pistol in 6.5 rem mag and it is picky with reloads.The cannon breech does not give you much caming force .Unless the breech is tight and straight up and down I also get offcenter primer strikes and failure to fires. I carry a small open end wrench that fits the bar on the cannon breech to make sure I can turn it to the 12:00 oclock position thus eliminateing missfires. Mine does not like warm loads so stay in the mid range with reloads.The extractor will slip over the rim with warm loads and you will need a cleaning rod to tap the case out with. With all that said it is an accurate pistol and handles recoil well.

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sawfish: I got a copy of the owners manual from Magnum Research. Tom

posted Hide Post
I have been very impressed with Magnum Research's customer service. I got a owners manual and today ordered a spare firing pin for the Lone Eagle. They have been very responsive often answering my emails within a few hours.
Tom

posted Hide Post
In my experience with the L E in 7mmBR, it too is very demanding about case to shoulder length. You must try enough cases and be sure it rotates fully closed to set your dies. Segregate cases for the L E from others you have. rp

Posts: 432 | Location: Stone Mtn Ga | Registered: February 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I noticed that there is only one bolt to secure it to the stock. It goes thru the side thru the lug. There is no way to secure it vertically. My barreled
action will move slightly up and down. I have not gotten good accuracy yet. Is this barrel movement normal?
Tom

posted Hide Post
Most issues I've had were due to headspace rather than case body expansion or case length. I tried a (partial) necksizing/shoulderbump die (Forster) and haven't had problems since - and it also improved accuracy.
Good to know MRI still has firing pins. My gunsmith made one when mine broke.

Posts: 22 | Location: MN | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
DEP44 I am still having a few misfires. I noticed that the firing pin hit is off center. They always fire on the second firing. I am full length sizing. Did you have this problem?
Tom

posted Hide Post
I've had that when fireforming new (Lapua) brass. In my case there is a story to this. The previous owner had issues and wrecked the chamber in a attempt to "fix" it. Result is, that my headspace is at the very max of saami spec of headspace. In short you have to bump the shoulder just enough to be able to close the breech. New Lapuas are obviously short for my gun and may cause light primer strikes as they are "sloppy".
I would try a bit less shoulder bump.
I hope this helps. The LE is a great gun.

Posts: 22 | Location: MN | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post