Specialty Pistols
2 Scope Rings or 3?

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/2570082696

January 01, 2020, 10:24 PM
Gary T
2 Scope Rings or 3?
Hey guys,
Well, my deer season is over for this year so its time to start planning for next year. laugh One of my favorite deer hunting guns is an XP-100 in 284 Win. It has a 3-12 Burris LER scope sitting in Burris Signature Z rings on tope of a Weaver one piece base. The 16" barrel has a muzzle brake. I usually put 3 rings on 30 caliber and above, but the 284 load uses more powder than does my 308 that has 3 rings. I currently have 2 rings on the gun, but I'm debating whether I should add a third ring. Adding a third ring may not be possible w/ the Weaver base as it only has 4 slot. Slots #1 & #3 have rings. #2 may not have room for a ring. #4 is under the objective bell so it's clearly not usable. What's the wisdom of SP say: 2 rings or 3? If 3 rings, will the Weaver work or do I need to change bases?

Slots #1 and #2.

Slots #3 and #4.

Good luck and good hunting.
January 01, 2020, 11:19 PM
LoneStar
Most all of my SS pistols use three rings, I just feel more confident with 3. My first .30 Herrett used two rings and the scope always slipped until I installed a spacer which bore against the turret and the front ring a la Milek’s Contenders. Since then, unless they are heavy like my XP, they all wear three rings.

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith
January 01, 2020, 11:32 PM
Bobby Tomek
I'd vote for 3, even if it means changing to a base with more mounting latitude/slots. I even use 3 on some of my mild-mannered Contender rifles just because I don't like how it looks with 2 rings when they are unevenly spaced on the tube. Smile
January 02, 2020, 07:25 AM
Historicfirearms
It looks like you could get a third one on there if you move the scope a bit. I would feel better with a third ring if it was mine. That 284 is a pretty powerful round. Someday I am going to have one built too.

Mike
January 02, 2020, 08:28 AM
jsh
I have put notches in where I wanted them in years past. Use a fine too the jewelers saw and a good file your in business.

All of the glass I have put on SP’s since about 87-88 I have had one slip on me. It was a ring issue and not recoil. Thin strip of paper between the ring and tube on all of them. Matter of fact when I acquired a rig with 3-4 rings I swapped it out.

Maybe I have just never had anything with much “hoss power”?

I know there was a lot of discussion on this subject years ago. Some were shearing screws off the bases, which then of coarse rings will have zero effect. Thoughts of how much mass was involved with the recoil.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!
January 02, 2020, 09:19 AM
Gator T/C
I have an opinion on this! LOL. I prefer three vertical split rings and they fit on that particular mount just fine. Look at the picture below and see if you recognize the gun wearing a Burris 3x12!

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper
January 02, 2020, 09:46 AM
HandCanonShootr
My Savage PTA/SP in 284Win has a 4-slot brake on a 15" bbl I use an EGW base with (2) Vortex Machined rings (the pricy Vortexs), Never a slip, (S111 6-32x56)).
In the past Warne Maximas (3) have been used (other big boomers) with success.

Fairly hot loads #85-100rds per range trip, .3MOA, rinse, repeat.

Mike B

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis
January 02, 2020, 10:18 AM
Magnum Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Gator T/C:
I have an opinion on this! LOL. I prefer three vertical split rings and they fit on that particular mount just fine. Look at the picture below and see if you recognize the gun wearing a Burris 3x12!

Brad

^ this! Besides, I'd never run steel rings on an aluminum base with and cartridge that has real recoil. The steel will eat that weaver base, quickly or over time, and then that scope will be rocking back and forth. As to the above, I've run that set up on some might nasty recoiling rigs and have never had a problem!

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

January 02, 2020, 11:13 AM
McClura
I only use three rings on the Contenders due to less barrel weight and large calibers like the 309JDJ, 375JDJ and 45-70. All of my XP's and my Encore barrels use two Burris Signature Zee rings w/inserts and EGW bases.
Never had one move yet. The XP in the photo is my .284, 15" barrel and I'm shooting 140grn Bergers and a near max load of H4831SC. Never had any problems with it just went a little over 600 rounds this weekend checking zero for a Any weapon hunt in Kansas over some wheat fields this coming weekend for left over tags I got in 2019. 5 day season.
Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.
January 02, 2020, 11:22 AM
junebug
Use three, it helps keep the scope tube from flexing during recoil. There is a high speed video somewhere showing how much a scope flexes during recoil .Look at the extra ring as insurance. thumbup
January 02, 2020, 12:34 PM
WV Hitman
I've had only 2 rings on my 6.5/.284 since I've owned it (over 3000 rounds, but 2 barrels) because of spacing problems with the 3-12 BPlex. Taken close to 2 doz. deer from 500-550 with the same scope. No problems.
January 02, 2020, 12:48 PM
Arrowflinger
I own XP's from 17 HMR thru 7 Dakota. All have two rings on them. They are all blue Loctited down. Never had one move. I use Burris signature rings.
My two cents....
Derek
January 02, 2020, 03:39 PM
paperpuncher
I use two rings cause I can't find a three pack laugh laugh

Scott
January 02, 2020, 08:32 PM
Pa. Mike
I would leave the Weaver base as is and go with three Leupold Vertical Split rings. The Leupold Vertical Split rings hold up well and are not expensive. If you want to use the rings you have now I would obtain an EGW base which would give you numerous mounting points for a third ring.
January 03, 2020, 02:07 AM
Iowa Fox
quote:
Originally posted by Arrowflinger:
I own XP's from 17 HMR thru 7 Dakota. All have two rings on them. They are all blue Loctited down. Never had one move. I use Burris signature rings.
My two cents....
Derek

I switched over to Burris signature rings years ago, I'd really be surprised to see them slip.

Jon
January 03, 2020, 09:54 PM
gman628
I like the looks of three rings, but I haven't ever needed them, so don't have any rigs with more than two anymore.

RE: what Magnum Mike mentioned about steel rings and an aluminum base, I agree, but I'll take it a bit further. I have a .444 Marlin pistol barrel that started giving me fits after about three years, it starting spraying a pattern like a shotgun one day. I pulled the scope and found that the cheap rings I bought that only have the round allen head bolts making contact with the weaver base didn't like the recoil anymore and the base and rings were all chewed up.

The things I look for in rings and bases for anything with more than mild recoil is:

Rings need to have a square lug on them to mate with the slots in the base and must be steel.

Bases that have a full length slot from side to side like MGM and others sell, and must be steel.

This gives me the largest and tightest contact between the two, and for me at least, no more aluminum bases and rings for the heavy recoil stuff.

Can't go wrong with more contact, so if you like three rings, that scope ain't going to move. Like paperpuncher, nobody around me carries those three ring sets either. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gman628,
January 04, 2020, 10:14 AM
Sawcarver
EGW bases and two burris signature rings works for me on everything from a 17 fireball to a 7-300 win mag and everything in between
January 08, 2020, 12:46 AM
Gary T
quote:
Look at the picture below and see if you recognize the gun wearing a Burris 3x12!

LOL! Yeah Brad, I do recognize that gun. Smile I figured you'd recognize my pic, as well. If anyone's wondering, I bought the XP from Brad. It's been a VERY good gun that's never let me down.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Y'all are giving me some good options to consider. thumbup

Good luck and good hunting.