Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady's new line of bullets Login/Join 

posted
Anyone planning on using the new Hornady ELD-X bullets?

Www.hornady.com

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Well that was interesting. Looks like it will be a good performer but only time will tell as to how good.

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Yep. Never thought my Accubond tips melted. Every deer I've shot with them from 400-538 yards were hit exactly where I aimed. No apparent meltdown.
Lot of hype. Let's see the performance.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
I'll probably try them. I like hornady stuff but that video they had announcing these bullets made it seem like the second coming of christ. Way over the top even if the bullet works as advertised. Seems very similar to the ABLR minus the bonding. Should be good for hunting in pistol length barrels I would think. Good expansion at lower velocities.

Posts: 960 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: June 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Lot of hype. Let's see the performance.

I agree.
It's hard to believe a bullet tip will reach <700 deg (I don't remember the exact numbers) in flight. Of course, they didn't necessarily say ALL plastic tips melted, but the ones on the new bullet did. Wonder if Hornady plans on changing the formulation of the plastic tips of their SST, V-Max and A-Max lines of bullets?

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Actually, Hornady does claim that ALL plastic tipped bullets had melting. Apparently their Doppler radar data shows that.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently their Doppler radar data shows that.

laugh laugh

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, Hornady does claim that ALL plastic tipped bullets had melting. Apparently their Doppler radar data shows that.

My origial comment (albeit not worded well) was meant to make the distinction of whether Hornady was saying all of THEIR plastic tipped bullets were melting or whether EVERYONE'S (their's included) plastic tipped bullets were melting. After having watched the 20 min video again I don't think they make the distinction in the video. They said things like "...current polymer tips......currently used polymer materials." Is that only their current or everyone's current? Does Hornady clarify somewhere in a press release?

Edited to add: The answer to my question may be here in Hornady's "White Paper". The paper's 23 pgs long and I don't have the time to read it right now, but will read it later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gary T,

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Everyone's. Read their "white paper" for details.

Hornady claims all bullet manufacturers were/are using the same polymer for tips until they developed their new heat resistant tip.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)