Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

xp-100 trigger issues. Login/Join 

posted
I inadvertently put this in the hunting forum. Sorry, but let me try here.I have three xp's which I put in Fajen stocks about 20 years ago. No modifications except to remove the trigger balance. Recently the .223 has developed a serious issue. The trigger pulls consistently between 18 and 20 ounces; however, when lifting the bolt when cocked it fires. I also can not put the safety on except with the bolt open. Occasionally when putting the safety off , it will fire. If you close the bolt with normal speed it's no longer cocked--close it very gently and it's OK. If you put the safety on with the bolt open you can close the bolt normally without issues. I pulled it from the stock and everything works fine, except the safety will still go on only with the bolt open. I dropped it back in the stock without the action screws and all the problems are there again I can see no evidence of interference of critical parts either on the xp or in the insetting., I sure want to get it back in action again it's been a consistent 3/4" or less shooter with 4895 and a variety of bullets. I live only about 15 miles from Chris Rhodes shop when he lived in Virginia. Unfortunately, I didn't meet him until shortly before he moved out west. I'd sure appreciate any help on this. Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 21 | Location: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: December 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with a .375/.284 XP. Caused me to miss a nice buck. I sent it to SSK (JD Jones). They fixed it quickly, but don't remember what they said was wrong 15 years ago.

Posts: 1866 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
The trigger just needs adjustment. It sounds like it’s way to light. There is only two screws to work with on the xp

More than likely the front one needs backed out a 1/4 turn

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning

Posts: 21 | Location: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: December 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Fiddled with the front screw to no avail. Problems still persist. Still works perfectly when out of the stock except the safety will only go on when the bolt is open and to the rear. Put it back in the stock and it fires when you lift the bolt-only a tiny movement is required, and its uncocks when you close the bolt with gusto. I decided to put it back in the original plastic stock to see what happened. It worked just fine, except for the safety only going on with the bolt open. I have not messed with the rear adjustment screw yet. Since it works fine in the plastic stock and out of the stock , but not in the Fajen laminated stock. I'm thinking of coating critical parts with inletting black and dropping it in the Fajen stock to see if there's any interference. I'll have to order some inletting black from Brownells. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fiddled with the front screw to no avail. Problems still persist. Still works perfectly when out of the stock except the safety will only go on when the bolt is open and to the rear. Put it back in the stock and it fires when you lift the bolt-only a tiny movement is required, and its uncocks when you close the bolt with gusto. I decided to put it back in the original plastic stock to see what happened. It worked just fine, except for the safety only going on with the bolt open. I have not messed with the rear adjustment screw yet. Since it works fine in the plastic stock and out of the stock , but not in the Fajen laminated stock. I'm thinking of coating critical parts with inletting black and dropping it in the Fajen stock to see if there's any interference. I'll have to order some inletting black from Brownells. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

try seeing if you can push the trigger forward and then try to close the bolt. I've had the linkage start dragging before and doing like you're describing. Then check the stock for the rear screw nut breaking loose from the stock or in my case, the stock was splitting.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3518 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip-- but pushing the trigger forward didn't change things. and the T-nut for the back screw and the surrounding wood is still in good shape. the linkage also seems to be free of interference with the wood.
Any other suggestions before I go nuts or throw away a nice
Fajen stock that has worked fine for years. I hate to do this , but I'm thinking I may pull one of my other XP's out of the stock and try it in this stock to see what happens. Any other suggestions?

posted Hide Post
I know on benchrest triggers they squirt liter fluid into the workings to clean it.
Bruce

Posts: 717 | Location: Pa | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
has the stock been properly bedded for the action. It might be binding once tightened in the stock vs in a free state.. just another thought.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've had similar trigger issues. And for me it is always some part of the trigger touching the stock. Even if it worked with the stock before. I especially feel the trigger must be touching somewhere in that stock since you can put it in a different stock and it functions. I've put nail polish on mine and put it back in stock and work the bolt and trigger and then take it back out of stock and look for the nail polish to have rubbed off inside the stock. If there is then Dremel the spot out a little and give it another go

Posts: 28 | Location: Bandera, Tx | Registered: November 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the hints and tips. I was sure the trigger mechanism must be rubbing somewhere even though it had worked perfectly in the Fajen stock for about twenty years. It worked fine in the plastic stock and out of the stock altogether--just drop it in the wooden stock without tightening it up and here are all the problems again. My inletting black had dried up so I got a tube of Permatex Prussian Blue at the auto parts store-coated everything up and dropped it in. Nothing touched except where it should around the recoil lug, and bedding points etc. I started playing around with shims and to my surprise when I slipped a shim under the rear tang everything started working. I made a .060 thick shim out of a piece of clear plastic tubing, put it under the tang, tightened it up and everything worked great. I'll shoot it over a several day period and see if the temporary fix holds up and if accuracy was effected. If it's still good I'll build the stock up with glass there. or I may just leave it. Still can't figure what caused it or why the shim helped.

posted Hide Post
Went to the range yesterday to try out the XP after the "fix" with the shim under the tang, and reinstalling the 10X Burris pistol scope. Shot some factory loads to get back on the paper, then shot a couple of five shot groups at 100 yards. They measured .465 and .580. Load was 24.5g of Benchmark and a Sierra 52g HPBT. I think I'll leave it alone. Still can't figure out what the problem was.

posted Hide Post
If shimming the tang stopped the problem I would guess that the bottom of the linkage was touching even if just slightly. I would probably open up that area of the stock and maybe behind the trigger/linkage a little and try without the shim again.

Bruce

Posts: 1094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post