Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler 48 Independence? Login/Join 

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted
Anyone have any experience with the Nosler 48 Independence? A semi local to me shop had one and it looked pretty nice. I almost put it in their layaway program but that price tag was pretty nice too.

I have decided I want a dedicated bolt pistol. While I like both rear grip and center grip, I think I like the balance and feel of the center grip better. So I'm trying to decide to either find a used XP100 or Striker, sink some money into it making it mine OR just go big from the gate... I had a good amount of cash squirreled away towards a bolt pistol then a good friend gave me a great price on a multi barrel TC Encore package this week that I couldn't pass up and that took a chunk out of it.

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What was the retail price at the store you this Nosler at ? MSRP is $1,500.00(U.S.).

Peter Resetz

Posts: 147 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I've handled and shot the Nosler. It's accurate, but looks a little strange to me. I'll keep my XPs. They're not for sale.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PRR1957:
What was the retail price at the store you this Nosler at ? MSRP is $1,500.00(U.S.).

$1449 was their price on it. The guy behind the counter said they'd been waiting for it for quite sometime and had only recently put it out in the case. I searched online and gunbroker and couldn't find any for sale, found one on gunbroker that recently sold for $1249.

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
I've handled and shot the Nosler. It's accurate, but looks a little strange to me. I'll keep my XPs. They're not for sale.

I do value your opinion highly! I kind of like the looks of it myself and it felt great in the hand. But I like the XP's feel also.

Chris

posted Hide Post
Chris, Like several here, I've got some custom XPs that I really like -- but when the smoke cleared, had way more than $1449 in them. The Nosler is very accurate and I've had the good fortune to take several species of game with it. For me, it is a great bolt-action hunting gun and I finished MO deer season with a nice 8 pt and two coyotes -- thanks to the Nosler. As my friend JD once said, "Quality oats cost a little more than those recycled through the horse." Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posts: 1008 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mark thanks for the reply...went back to check out the 48 again and it was gone already. I guess they aren't out in the wild alot just yet. I'll probably end up going a custom build route anyways to get exactly what I want...

Chris

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I believe it’s better to go the long route or pay a little more or whatever, and get exactly what you want. I’ve found most of the time you’ll like it much better.

Rusty
—————————
“Dyin ain’t much of a livin”
Josey Wales

Posts: 602 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
My desire for a Nosler pistol, is simply because they are making one.
I like to support a company who is making a center-grip specialty pistol.
I think if they would get the price of that Independence down to the $900-$1100 they would be wise, as I am convinced more would buy them instead of going the custom route.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JDJTy
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Ernie. IF it was around 1K I would be all over it, but $1500 then scope, rings, etc. Or if you go on their website they start at $2,500 for custom. Just too much money. Might as well find an XP and then make it completely mine. Or maybe I'm too cheap!

---------------------------------
NRA Life Member
G2 Contender 6.5 JDJ Pistol
G2 Contender 375 JDJ Pistol

Posts: 469 | Location: Montana | Registered: February 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree 100%, if it were around $1000 there would be no thought process involved...

Chris

posted Hide Post
Hey guys, So aside $1000 difference in the price tag, what're the other differences between the Independence and the NCH? While the Independence is available in 22 Nosler, 24 Nosler, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Rem and 308 Win, available calibers aren't listed for the NCH. I'm intrigued by the Independence, but none of the available calibers really interest me. I've already got an XP's in 22 BR, 6 BR and 25 BR, 260 Rem and 7-08, as well as a Striker in 308. And like the rest of y'all, I'd also find the Independence even more appealing w/ a price around $1000.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary T:
Hey guys, So aside $1000 difference in the price tag, what're the other differences between the Independence and the NCH? While the Independence is available in 22 Nosler, 24 Nosler, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Rem and 308 Win, available calibers aren't listed for the NCH. I'm intrigued by the Independence, but none of the available calibers really interest me. I've already got an XP's in 22 BR, 6 BR and 25 BR, 260 Rem and 7-08, as well as a Striker in 308. And like the rest of y'all, I'd also find the Independence even more appealing w/ a price around $1000.

From the Nosler website:

When ordering the NCH™, customers have a choice of barrel length, Cerakote® colors, optional muzzle brake, fluted or non-fluted barrel, as well as caliber.

It doesn't say which available calibers, but for $2500 you'd better darn have your choice from anything! I really liked the way the Independence felt when I handled it at the LGS, but I'm leaning towards a custom Striker/XP build myself.

Chris

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
Last I knew there were only 5 or 6 chamberings available.

Tim
------------------------------

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6994 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What I am not thrilled with is the trigger is factory set at 3.5 lbs. and is non adjustable. Also. The trigger linkage is attached to the stock along with the safety. Not sure if say Timney would make a replacement trigger for it seeing that Timney never made a replacement trigger for the mid-grip XP’s, Wichita’s, and Savage’s. 3.5 pounds is a little to heavy a trigger pull for me to do any accurate shooting. 1.5 pounds is my personal limit.

Peter Resetz

Posts: 147 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The thing I noticed was that the Independence weighs over a pound more than the 48, probably because of the heavier barrel. 6.5 lbs is more than a few of my rifles.

Posts: 1284 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: June 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
6.5lbs is still pretty light for an XP. I know a couple of guys who got custom 48's and they were heavier than what nosler said, right in that 6.5lbs range. Mark Hampton had nosler put his on a diet to get it under 7.5lbs with glass for light gun at MOA

Posts: 961 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would have an Independence by now if they were around the 1K$ mark. Picked up my first bolt handgun last week, an XP100 for right around that price. 6ppc with a great trigger. Shot a 3-shot .25MOA at 200 yards with it the first time out.

Posts: 2 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post