Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Right Bolt vs Left Bolt Login/Join 

posted
I've been researching most of the afternoon on the site here getting ideas for the SP I want to build. The majority of the SP's I'm seeing are right bolt pistols. The folks using the XP-100 I can understand, but when building one from scratch and you have a choice, it seems like the majority of shooters prefer the right bolt.

I have never shot and SP or held one, but isn't it a little cumbersome pulling the trigger with the right finger and then working the bolt?

Do most right bolt shooters pull the trigger with the left finger and work the bolt right handed?

I'm leaning towards a left bolt since I feel like it would be a little smoother.

Posts: 177 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Left hand bolt is easier to use. With a right hand bolt most reach over with left hand. happy If you are going to build one go left hand bolt left feed. My Savage is left bolt right feed/eject. left feed would be simpler. happy

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Next week I will show you my Remington 700 long action left hand with mag bolt face! Undesignated from Pacific Tool and Gauge. It will be a centergrip.
Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1246 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Please do. I would like to see it.

Posts: 177 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
I'm right handed and much prefer the right bolt. It tells natural because right handed rifles use right bolts. I can shoot fast and accurate with a right bolt. Ive had left bolt pistols and sold them.

Posts: 961 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Preference...Build it the way you want.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Since it’s not going in your shoulder....I see no difference.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
idea behind left bolt on pistol for right hand shooter is simple not changing/breaking your grip/position during a match ( silly wet). also affords better muzzle control when reloading depending on position used. reloading an xp when on your back can be a bit trying.

Posts: 531 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
IMHO, For right handed shooters, the left bolt is a natural. Your right hand stays in control of the grip while your free left hand works the bolt and feeds ammo.
Wanted to try shooting a left hand rig right handed. Just happened to have bought a Savage Model 12 lefty repeater action. Big Grin Picked up an Ambi stock , mounted the action and went shooting. LOVED IT!! That same action went into making a right handed SP.
Got tired of that and ordered up a right hand thumb hole BR style rifle stock.
Right hand keeps in control of the stock and your FREE left hand feed ammo and works the bolt.
Couldn't be more natural NOT having to reach across or taking your hand off a right hand stock to work the bolt.
Now if only Remington would have made an XP 100 in left hand?? Cool

Posts: 384 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
would have been nice if they had. likely a bean counter thing at corporate.

Posts: 531 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As a right handed shooter I much prefer the bolt on the right. When hunting, it's normally going to be one shot and it doesn't make any difference where the bolt resides. Even when shooting from the bench during competition, I prefer the bolt on the right. Heck, I can't pick my nose with my left hand much less load and unload a gun.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
With my ol XP I'd keep a hold to the grip with my right hand and roll the pistol CCW and manipulate the bolt with the left hand. I thought about going the LH bolt with my XP project but opted going RH bolt.

Posts: 37 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Centergrip in the making! Actually bought two actions, one with a standard bolt and one with a mag bolt face. Both stainless long actions and had two bolts fluted.

Brad

Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1246 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
after running a couple Savage Striker pistols, I'm totally sold on the left bolt right grip. While most hunting scenarios end after the first shot, not all of them do. It's always good to plan on the best but prepare for the worst. It takes some practice and getting used to, but working the bolt with your left hand while the grip and trigger hand stays put, is definitely more user friendly. I'm putting parts together for a rear grip left bolt right grip SP to replace my savage striker. going to run AI SA mags and maybe try and run it in some PRS style club matches.

Posts: 110 | Location: Marthasville, Missouri | Registered: February 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RICHP
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mark, but I think 86Alaskan has a point about practicing with the left bolt. I have a Striker, a Wichita and a Rampro with bolts on the left side and I just cant use them as well as the xp-100. But then again I havnt shot them as much.

---------------
love those .41 mags.

Posts: 191 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: November 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
I could never make up my mind which I liked better, there were advantages to both. I sold all my bolt pistols and went strictly to break open guns.

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2167 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have both savage and xp100. I'm right handed and prefer the right side bolt. Years of shooting bolt action rifles have my right hand trained to work the bolt. The savage feels a little awkward but not terrible.

Mike

Posts: 128 | Location: Petoskey, MI | Registered: April 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ole95
posted Hide Post
Which side it ports on is more important To me than which side the bolts on
I’m left handed and shoot both strikers and Xps which both port on the right which
Works great for me. I work the bolt on both with my right hand along with loading unloading with my right hand as well this Allow me to keep my left hand (trigger hand) on the grip just my $0.02

Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
shoot like your life depends on it

Posts: 532 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ole95:
Which side it ports on is more important To me than which side the bolts on

I have had the same thoughts. I have both XP’s and a striker, I’m right handed and with the XP’s I release the grip to work the bolt And load. On the striker I can work the bolt while keeping my grip but have to release the grip or reach over to load. I’m thinking I need a custom with a left bolt, left port.

Bruce

Posts: 1094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post