Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage striker newbie Login/Join 

posted
Looking at savage strikers. What is there to know? What should I look for or avoid? Differences between generations? Any input is appreciated

Posts: 202 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
I have several Strikers. While I prefer Xp-100 built pistols. My best shooting SP to date is a heavy barreled Savage Striker Gen 1 in 6BR. This gun will shoot 5 shots into the low .2's when I do my part. I currently own Strikers. 17HMR,
22-250, .243, 6BR and .284. All shoot extremely well. The 6BR being the most accurate. We took the .243 to WY this last year and it was deadly on prairie dogs out to 500 yards.
I will say they are much harder to find quality aftermarket stocks ans the triggers leave a lot to be desired. I converted both the 6BR and .243 to rear grips and aftermarket rifle triggers.
Hope I have been of some help. Derek >>>------->

Posts: 915 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Gen 1 triggers are easier to tune, to me.

And when I can, I make some nice mid grip stocks in your wood, my wood, whatever. WIP is a red laminate I call rosewood.

Also Working on a chassis system in AL at this time.

I have 2 custom stocks left, one in 308 with maple burl and walnut, one in 22-250 with curly maple and ebony. 2 modded stocks available, one a 2.5" wide in realtree camo, one is 3.5" wide in faux carbon fiber. Couple of extra barrels too.

But, as Arrowflinger says, no does Strikers anymore, stick with XP's. More money for gunsmiths since no one has the ability to do it themselves anymore. koolaid

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Larry Id like to hear more about the barrels and stocks you have available. Send me an email- jasonford36@yahoo.com

Posts: 202 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerer:

But, as Arrowflinger says, no does Strikers anymore, stick with XP's. More money for gunsmiths since no one has the ability to do it themselves anymore. koolaid

Larry
Tinkerer

Why do you insist on saying that? I know you've been told about remage barrels....

Aaron

Posts: 2758 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify. I did not nor do I have anything bad to say about Strikers.
Fact. They are harder to find after market parts for than Remingtons. I own and love both.
Jason. If you choose to go with a Striker I'm sure you will love it. Like I said in my other post. Mine shoot great. I just prefer the XP-100 platform.

Aaron. You used a Savage at WyShot didn't you? As I remember you shot very well with it.
Derek >>>--------->

Posts: 915 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Arrowflinger,

Relax dude, I know you didn't say anything bad. Just an observation.

Much more activity around here on XP's than Strikers. In fact, I had 2 in the classifieds area that got exactly 0 response of any kind. But what do I know?

2cents

Larry

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I did not shoot a striker. There was a time when I thought I wanted the magazine. Not anymore.

There's a good reason xp-100's are more popular. You may not agree and that fine.

Aaron

Posts: 2758 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
@ Aaron,
So many guns. I remembered wrong. I thought I remembered a savage in 300 WSM. But I was like a kid in a toy store looking at all those SP's, what calibers people chose and how they performed in that wonderful wind you all have!
Can't wait for this years shoot. I might shoot the same gun. 6.5 x 284 or my
7 Saum. I'll more than likely bring both. Chuck was kind enough to lone Lisa one of his pistols last year. But this year she will be shooting her new 6 Creed built by Mike Able at Rogue Precision Gunworks in Grants Pass.
Derek >>>------->

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Triggers on the strikers can’t be as clean and light without some serious work. Aftermarket stuff isn’t available unless you do a rear grip.

Bore axis (overall height) of the gun is super high.

If it’s the barrel nut that excites you...they do those for Remington’s now as well.

You don’t see many Barrel nut systems at the higher levels of rifle or specialty pistol competitions.

Those are The main reasons the xp sells over the striker.

They can both be set up to shoot good.

Posts: 4029 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonFord:
Looking at savage strikers. What is there to know? What should I look for or avoid? Differences between generations? Any input is appreciated

Biggest differences I see is the trigger systems. They can all adjust down about the same and no aftermarket Center grip triggers are available.

Posts: 4029 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Strikers were designed with a two stage trigger pull like the old Model 98 Mauser. If you attempt to adjust this feature out of the gun you are compromising the safety of the pistol, and inviting slamfires, etc..

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3515 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
quote:

Search some of the old threads on Strikers. You will find detailed explanations of the Striker trigger variations. Look for the explanation by Blue Avenger.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3515 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ole95
posted Hide Post
Fully agree with Sawfish.one the thing I like about the Striker is the two stage affect
I've bought two the that had been adjusted out and both would bump fire after putting the two stage back in and alittle stone work I have triggers I'm very happy with
Both have the roller system trigger which to me is way better the "hinge" type
I have both xp's and Strikers each has their place
I prefer converted rear grip xp's for Silhouette
And the Striker's for bipod branch shooting. The Striker come with a easy to use bolt release for longer than port cartridges
The factory stock is durable and easy to add weight to.
The xp is sexy the Striker is Butt ugly
But each has a place in my needs

Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
shoot like your life depends on it

Posts: 532 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Anyone have a striker after market stock for sale ? please send pictures.
Thanks Randy

Bayou Boy

Posts: 30 | Location: LOUISIANA | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Randy,

Contact me at

Safetypro10atmsndotcom

Larry

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggin:
quote:

Biggest differences I see is the trigger systems. They can all adjust down about the same and no aftermarket Center grip triggers are available.

Gen 2 and 3 can use a modified Rifle Basix trigger. Just remove the finger spur.

Posts: 2089 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Differences between generations?

Gen 1 works off the rear of the trigger with a roller that dose not like to roll
gen 2 trips the front of the trigger
gen 3 has the linkage trapped in-between 2 upright to take out some of the flex on the mag box pivot. Tighter (oversize) pins and shims can also help.
no changes to the gun other then triggers and Most but not all WSMs were made large shank.

Posts: 2089 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
When buying a striker off the internet , how can one tell what generation of trigger is in there ? By serial number range ?
Want to get the best trigger possible on a 7mm-08 striker and do not want a rear grip handgun.
Thank You

Posts: 128 | Location: Milford , PA. | Registered: January 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Cappi, Have you tried emailing the seller and asking for a photo of the trigger bar assembly?

posted Hide Post
Seller will not disassemble the firearm. Can what you mentioned be seen by simply opening the bolt ?

Posts: 128 | Location: Milford , PA. | Registered: January 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If the seller isn't willing to loosen two screws and take off the grip I would avoid purchasing it.

Posts: 79 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 31, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Cappi, you cant see the trigger mechanism without the stock off. Also, sent you an email.

posted Hide Post
What are you looking for?

I have a 2nd gen (lever bar) available with a custom curly maple and ebony stock in 17" HV 22-250 with extra Striker barrels in 243 and 308, as well as a modded Striker stock in faux carbon fiber, if you're interested.

Larry
Tinkerer