Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New build, Model 7 Login/Join 

posted
So, i've got a line on a brand new undesignated model & action, no trigger or anything but the body and bolt. I've been thinking about a 6.5x47 build for a center grip hunting gun. Will the & fit in a stock designed for an xp, or can i get the trigger setup and stock for a model 7 action? Or, am i better off building a rear grip repeater on a 7fingers? Are the center grips really all that much better for hunting or just preference? thanks

Posts: 110 | Location: Marthasville, Missouri | Registered: February 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It won't fit into a centergrip stock without some work to the stock. The action screws are in different spots on the two actions. If I were you I'd build a rear grip with that action.

I prefer centergrips for hunting because while shooting prone I'm not as bunched up while using a rifle scope. But for varmints or bench shooting I prefer the rear grips because I can get an awesome trigger and there is more distance between the rear bag and front rest.

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the center grips really all that much better for hunting or just preference?

It really depends on how you are going to use the gun. A rear grip is pretty much limited to a bench/bag application. A midgrip gun handles more like a handgun. It can be fired off-hand or from field rests like shooting sticks and such. This makes it more applicable to my hunting style than a rear grip gun.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I do know that Mr. Hugel uses a rear grip .17FB with the long legged harris very well in the field. He uses a soft sided stadium chair and rests the grip on his knee while the bipod legs are out in front of his feet. IIRC he told me he shot a yote at 900+ with that setup.

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
IIRC he told me he shot a yote at 900+ with that setup.

Impressive.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Will an XP mid grip trigger fit a modern Model 7 action?
I agree the mid grip is better for field rest shooting.

Mark

Posts: 299 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Mid grip is easier in my eyes, but it is not heard of to use a rear grip.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ok then, for a rear grip, does the standard AI short action mag setup work on a 7, or are they shorter than a standard 700 short action. If i'm going into a rear grip with an open bottom action, I'd really like to have a repeater with AI mags.

Posts: 110 | Location: Marthasville, Missouri | Registered: February 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Its shorter than a 700SA. I believe PTG make a detachable mag and bottom metal for a M7 but I don't know of anyone else doing it. Haven't looked for a little while though.

Aaron