Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP 7MM-08AI Build "First Post" Login/Join 

posted
I got this XP-100R from a friend as a 22Br in the McMillan stock, a Jewell BR trigger and muzzle brake. It was fun to shoot a couple of times but I thought a smaller case would make it nicer to shoot on prairie dogs. I then swapped the bolt with a guy for the 223 case head and found a 20-222ai reamer to use. I got it somewhat finished and then used it for Missouri's alternate weapons deer season. I had already taken a buck with my rifle so I could only shoot a doe. It worked fine with the 39gr SBK and a 60 yard broadside shot. After that hunt I decided it was fun to extend my deer season and planed a change for the XP. I thought about shooting a 300BlackOut or some variation of the 223 but waited awhile and decided to build a true deer hunting pistol.
I found a 7mm-08AI barrel, dies and brass setup in the classifieds here. I then started thinking about a stock and decided to use the one from the 20-222ai. I ordered a bolt from PTG and a Timney trigger to hunt with. I also ordered a Surgeon style bolt stop but haven't put it in yet. I am planing on shooting it today for the first time and then hunt with it tomorrow if it shoots good enough.
Thanks, Dave

Posts: 21 | Location: KC, MO | Registered: November 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Very nice Dave thumbup
Welcome to SP! Big Grin

-Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Good looking rig thumbup & welcome to SP

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SP.
Interesting stock...aluminum homemade?

Posts: 2350 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thats a nice looking pistol.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Great looking rig and really cool caliber. Welcome to SP!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the support guys. The stock is a homemade one I came up with to do the barrel block on. I think I am going to build another one that I can put a detachable mag on. It will be a standard one with a recoil lug and probably a V-block for the receiver.
I went to a friends where I hunt and sighted the pistol in. I only had 30 rounds of loaded ammo so I didn't shoot any groups. I got it in the bulls eye at 100 yards on two consecutive shots after spinning the knobs the wrong way and called it good because I wanted to get to my deer stand. I also brought my coyote call to try to make it more exciting. I waited about 5 minutes before starting some rabbit calls and then after 10 minutes of calling I saw a coyote out about 120 yards. I had one ear plug already in and then put the second one in and dropped the coyote right there. I got a double on coyotes during rifle deer season but no deer then either. I saw a bunch of does but no big bucks so no luck on the deer. The season is open until the 29th so I have more time. I will head back out in the morning to try again.
I am new to this pistol stuff so have many questions but am trying to read as many posts as I can to help me out. What do you guys do about hearing protection while hunting?
Thanks, Dave

Posts: 21 | Location: KC, MO | Registered: November 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
I use the electronic muffs.
Nice shooting on the yotes!

SemperFi

This message has been edited. Last edited by: semperfi,

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 816 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hunt! I also use muffs when shooting pistol. I am not a fan of muffs for rifle shooting because I don't think I get down on the stock properly. Of course this doesn't matter with a pistol.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Dave it seems you have already learned quite a bit about sp's and the many variations you could do! Nice rig for sure and good shooting.
Hearing protection is a must with pistols!

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sheriff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by semperfi:

SemperFi

Me, too. Peltor's. Congratulations on the coyote. thumbup

------------------------------
It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, (ret)

Posts: 894 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congrats, DDM! Big Grin A dead coyote is always a welcome sight. Looks like you put a lot of time and thought into your XP. What was used to paint the action, stock and barrel?

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1677 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Well that sure is an interesting looking rig. Welcome to SP.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6522 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I had bought a cheap set of electronic muffs but they broke on the third trip to the range. I guess I need to research those.

The paint is Cerakote FDE. I built an oven to cook it in by buying a $20 toaster oven from Walmart for the heating coils and then putting a $30 temperature controller on it. The scope is a Leupold VX6 2-12 I think. It worked pretty good on the coyote and I have been thinking on building a bipod/tripod for when I hunt from the ground. The thing weights a lot and I need to build another stock to hunt with. Maybe a sporter barrel and factory stock. I guess a new XP build would be better and leave this one for hunting out of deer towers and shooting off of a bench.
Dave

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
quote:
Originally posted by semperfi:

SemperFi

Me, too. Peltor's. Congratulations on the coyote. thumbup

Yep, thats what i use. thumbup

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 816 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirtyDaveMO:
I have been thinking on building a bipod/tripod for when I hunt from the ground.
Dave

I picked up a Bog Pod tripod and put the PSR top on it for field use. Have not had a chance to use it yet but it seems pretty stable for when I cannot use the harris bipod due to terrain.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good idea Smokin7. I will check that out. I like that it is always up in the ready position.

posted Hide Post
Dave,
What kind of velocities are you getting out of the .20-.222 AI?
Sounds like a fun round Big Grin

-mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice Build
Very interesting stock
Hope you enjoy it

DAN

Posts: 748 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just got a MOA and was considering 7-08 improved for it with 168 bergers. Could you post what kind of speed you are getting .
I have a barrel blank in 7mm 1.8.5 twist and a bunch of 243 nosler custom brass I could use all I need in a reamer and dies.

Posts: 107 | Location: Western Il | Registered: June 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280 AI:
I just got a MOA and was considering 7-08 improved for it with 168 bergers. Could you post what kind of speed you are getting .
I have a barrel blank in 7mm 1.8.5 twist and a bunch of 243 nosler custom brass I could use all I need in a reamer and dies.

Are you planning on using it at the MOA match in June?

Posts: 1627 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes if I can make it I would like to use for hunterclass, I really wanted a 6mm super but I have a 7mm blank .

Posts: 107 | Location: Western Il | Registered: June 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I like the stock.

Normally aluminum stocks do nothing for me but the barrel clamp and rest floating is good. When I saw it I had a vision of a midgrip, minimalist stock flash before my eyes.

I like the concept of a floating action, everything I have read is positive towards accuracy.
I have in the works a rifle with essentially the barrel machined to form a bedding and place for the screws. Action and barrel ahead of bedded area is floated. Stock is wood with carbon bedding.

Mark

Posts: 301 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirtyDaveMO:
Thanks for the support guys. The stock is a homemade one I came up with to do the barrel block on. I think I am going to build another one that I can put a detachable mag on. It will be a standard one with a recoil lug and probably a V-block for the receiver.
I went to a friends where I hunt and sighted the pistol in. I only had 30 rounds of loaded ammo so I didn't shoot any groups. I got it in the bulls eye at 100 yards on two consecutive shots after spinning the knobs the wrong way and called it good because I wanted to get to my deer stand. I also brought my coyote call to try to make it more exciting. I waited about 5 minutes before starting some rabbit calls and then after 10 minutes of calling I saw a coyote out about 120 yards. I had one ear plug already in and then put the second one in and dropped the coyote right there. I got a double on coyotes during rifle deer season but no deer then either. I saw a bunch of does but no big bucks so no luck on the deer. The season is open until the 29th so I have more time. I will head back out in the morning to try again.
I am new to this pistol stuff so have many questions but am trying to read as many posts as I can to help me out. What do you guys do about hearing protection while hunting?
Thanks, Dave

Congrats!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post