Specialty Pistols
XP 7MM-08AI Build "First Post"

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/2250000186

December 19, 2015, 01:24 PM
DirtyDaveMO
XP 7MM-08AI Build "First Post"
I got this XP-100R from a friend as a 22Br in the McMillan stock, a Jewell BR trigger and muzzle brake. It was fun to shoot a couple of times but I thought a smaller case would make it nicer to shoot on prairie dogs. I then swapped the bolt with a guy for the 223 case head and found a 20-222ai reamer to use. I got it somewhat finished and then used it for Missouri's alternate weapons deer season. I had already taken a buck with my rifle so I could only shoot a doe. It worked fine with the 39gr SBK and a 60 yard broadside shot. After that hunt I decided it was fun to extend my deer season and planed a change for the XP. I thought about shooting a 300BlackOut or some variation of the 223 but waited awhile and decided to build a true deer hunting pistol.
I found a 7mm-08AI barrel, dies and brass setup in the classifieds here. I then started thinking about a stock and decided to use the one from the 20-222ai. I ordered a bolt from PTG and a Timney trigger to hunt with. I also ordered a Surgeon style bolt stop but haven't put it in yet. I am planing on shooting it today for the first time and then hunt with it tomorrow if it shoots good enough.
Thanks, Dave

December 19, 2015, 02:23 PM
40xmike
Very nice Dave thumbup
Welcome to SP! Big Grin

-Mike
December 19, 2015, 02:47 PM
nmhunter
Good looking rig thumbup & welcome to SP
December 19, 2015, 06:43 PM
Dekker
Welcome to SP.
Interesting stock...aluminum homemade?
December 19, 2015, 07:32 PM
rickiesrevenge
Thats a nice looking pistol.

Aaron
December 19, 2015, 08:56 PM
Leupold Man
Great looking rig and really cool caliber. Welcome to SP!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member
December 19, 2015, 09:35 PM
DirtyDaveMO
Thanks for the support guys. The stock is a homemade one I came up with to do the barrel block on. I think I am going to build another one that I can put a detachable mag on. It will be a standard one with a recoil lug and probably a V-block for the receiver.
I went to a friends where I hunt and sighted the pistol in. I only had 30 rounds of loaded ammo so I didn't shoot any groups. I got it in the bulls eye at 100 yards on two consecutive shots after spinning the knobs the wrong way and called it good because I wanted to get to my deer stand. I also brought my coyote call to try to make it more exciting. I waited about 5 minutes before starting some rabbit calls and then after 10 minutes of calling I saw a coyote out about 120 yards. I had one ear plug already in and then put the second one in and dropped the coyote right there. I got a double on coyotes during rifle deer season but no deer then either. I saw a bunch of does but no big bucks so no luck on the deer. The season is open until the 29th so I have more time. I will head back out in the morning to try again.
I am new to this pistol stuff so have many questions but am trying to read as many posts as I can to help me out. What do you guys do about hearing protection while hunting?
Thanks, Dave

December 20, 2015, 09:35 AM
semperfi
I use the electronic muffs.
Nice shooting on the yotes!

SemperFi

This message has been edited. Last edited by: semperfi,

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member
December 20, 2015, 09:48 AM
Leupold Man
Congrats on the hunt! I also use muffs when shooting pistol. I am not a fan of muffs for rifle shooting because I don't think I get down on the stock properly. Of course this doesn't matter with a pistol.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member
December 20, 2015, 12:16 PM
bowstryder
Dave it seems you have already learned quite a bit about sp's and the many variations you could do! Nice rig for sure and good shooting.
Hearing protection is a must with pistols!
December 20, 2015, 12:48 PM
Sheriff
quote:
Originally posted by semperfi:

SemperFi

Me, too. Peltor's. Congratulations on the coyote. thumbup

------------------------------
It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, (ret)
December 20, 2015, 03:02 PM
Gary T
Congrats, DDM! Big Grin A dead coyote is always a welcome sight. Looks like you put a lot of time and thought into your XP. What was used to paint the action, stock and barrel?

Good luck and good hunting.
December 20, 2015, 10:07 PM
big10
Well that sure is an interesting looking rig. Welcome to SP.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)
December 21, 2015, 05:33 PM
DirtyDaveMO
I had bought a cheap set of electronic muffs but they broke on the third trip to the range. I guess I need to research those.

The paint is Cerakote FDE. I built an oven to cook it in by buying a $20 toaster oven from Walmart for the heating coils and then putting a $30 temperature controller on it. The scope is a Leupold VX6 2-12 I think. It worked pretty good on the coyote and I have been thinking on building a bipod/tripod for when I hunt from the ground. The thing weights a lot and I need to build another stock to hunt with. Maybe a sporter barrel and factory stock. I guess a new XP build would be better and leave this one for hunting out of deer towers and shooting off of a bench.
Dave
December 21, 2015, 05:38 PM
semperfi
quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
quote:
Originally posted by semperfi:

SemperFi

Me, too. Peltor's. Congratulations on the coyote. thumbup

Yep, thats what i use. thumbup

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member
December 22, 2015, 08:45 AM
Smokin7mm
quote:
Originally posted by DirtyDaveMO:
I have been thinking on building a bipod/tripod for when I hunt from the ground.
Dave

I picked up a Bog Pod tripod and put the PSR top on it for field use. Have not had a chance to use it yet but it seems pretty stable for when I cannot use the harris bipod due to terrain.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director
December 22, 2015, 04:01 PM
DirtyDaveMO
Good idea Smokin7. I will check that out. I like that it is always up in the ready position.
December 24, 2015, 07:28 PM
40xmike
Dave,
What kind of velocities are you getting out of the .20-.222 AI?
Sounds like a fun round Big Grin

-mike
December 25, 2015, 12:25 PM
DAN L
Nice Build
Very interesting stock
Hope you enjoy it

DAN
January 10, 2016, 03:09 PM
280 AI
I just got a MOA and was considering 7-08 improved for it with 168 bergers. Could you post what kind of speed you are getting .
I have a barrel blank in 7mm 1.8.5 twist and a bunch of 243 nosler custom brass I could use all I need in a reamer and dies.
January 10, 2016, 03:44 PM
Iowa Fox
quote:
Originally posted by 280 AI:
I just got a MOA and was considering 7-08 improved for it with 168 bergers. Could you post what kind of speed you are getting .
I have a barrel blank in 7mm 1.8.5 twist and a bunch of 243 nosler custom brass I could use all I need in a reamer and dies.

Are you planning on using it at the MOA match in June?
January 10, 2016, 04:07 PM
280 AI
Yes if I can make it I would like to use for hunterclass, I really wanted a 6mm super but I have a 7mm blank .
January 11, 2016, 10:05 PM
MClark
I like the stock.

Normally aluminum stocks do nothing for me but the barrel clamp and rest floating is good. When I saw it I had a vision of a midgrip, minimalist stock flash before my eyes.

I like the concept of a floating action, everything I have read is positive towards accuracy.
I have in the works a rifle with essentially the barrel machined to form a bedding and place for the screws. Action and barrel ahead of bedded area is floated. Stock is wood with carbon bedding.

Mark
January 13, 2016, 03:34 PM
Ernie
quote:
Originally posted by DirtyDaveMO:
Thanks for the support guys. The stock is a homemade one I came up with to do the barrel block on. I think I am going to build another one that I can put a detachable mag on. It will be a standard one with a recoil lug and probably a V-block for the receiver.
I went to a friends where I hunt and sighted the pistol in. I only had 30 rounds of loaded ammo so I didn't shoot any groups. I got it in the bulls eye at 100 yards on two consecutive shots after spinning the knobs the wrong way and called it good because I wanted to get to my deer stand. I also brought my coyote call to try to make it more exciting. I waited about 5 minutes before starting some rabbit calls and then after 10 minutes of calling I saw a coyote out about 120 yards. I had one ear plug already in and then put the second one in and dropped the coyote right there. I got a double on coyotes during rifle deer season but no deer then either. I saw a bunch of does but no big bucks so no luck on the deer. The season is open until the 29th so I have more time. I will head back out in the morning to try again.
I am new to this pistol stuff so have many questions but am trying to read as many posts as I can to help me out. What do you guys do about hearing protection while hunting?
Thanks, Dave

Congrats!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22