Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel material Login/Join 

posted
Which steel is better for barrels, calibers will be grendel and blackout. Stainless or chrome moly.

Thanks j.

Posts: 525 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of SS, but I think it has to do with what you are going to use it for. I think SS holds up to hunting conditions better, but there is cerakote that will protect any metal for that purpose. Over all you will pay a little more for SS so if cost is an issue then CM might be a better option. Neither one of those calibers are really hot so throat erosion should not be an issue. Let us know what you choose.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
its a long debated topic which is more accurate....their both about the same...its all in what kind of finish you want

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Use a good barrel, don't worry about it.
Most bench/comp (short-range, mid-range, long-range) shooters use SS.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post