Specialty Pistols
Got to spend a day working on SP's.

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/2060014186

January 18, 2016, 07:36 AM
Shaggy357
Got to spend a day working on SP's.
Once in a while I have opportunity to spend the whole day working on SP's. Yesterday was one of them. Got a couple of milestones done on two of my favorite shooters. (Couldn't work on them during hunting season.)

Being left handed has it's challenges. Being right eye dominant and learning to shoot rifles right handed really screwed me up. When I am hunting with an SP, I can grab the gun with either hand and steady for a shot. This means my stock should really be ambidextrous. That is what I have been working on.

First is the XP 6.5X284. Had a Fajen left hand laminated stock on it. Changed to another stock which was set up for right hand shooting. Removed the thumb rest on the left side of the stock and made grip comfortable for either hand. Wasn't much of a barrel channel either. Here is a photo of similar stock that hasn't been done yet, and the left hand Fajen I removed. Lots of wood work and fitting by hand to get the barrel channel done and action fit to the stock.

Got the fitting done, the rear t-bolt in for the rear action screw, and a forward t-bolt inletted for the swivel stud. Ready for final bedding and then finishing.

I also got to work on the 260 rear grip. The McMillan stock was for right hand shooting. I could shoot it left handed, but was uncomfortable after a few shots. Took the thumb rest off the left side of the stock and made it too ambidextrous. This took the stock right down to the soft filler. Used some Devcon to seal up the area. Will sand and smooth it down. Will use more Devcon or spotting filler to fill any voids before I refinish. It likes to hunt, so may go with matte camo type finish, not sure yet.

Anyway, lots of progress on the projects. Both are shootable, but I will spend some time to make them pretty now..... Wink

Steve Smile
---------------------------------
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"
January 18, 2016, 08:32 AM
40xmike
Looking good Steve!

Well done thumbup

-Mike
January 18, 2016, 08:39 AM
Smokin7mm
Steve,
So you finally got the stocks in and a little time to work on them. thumbup thumbup
Looking good

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director
January 18, 2016, 10:42 AM
Leupold Man
That's some great looking work!!!! Congrats!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member
January 18, 2016, 04:08 PM
semperfi
You are a lucky man

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member
January 19, 2016, 12:24 AM
Grendel99
Sweet! I like your new stock for the 6.5-284 much better than the previous one. We'll have to go up to the club and shoot this weekend or next.