Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 6 Dasher BR XP Login/Join 

posted

Got my switch barrel 6 Dasher XP-100 all finished up this week Big Grin
McMillan BR stock w/3" wide forend, pinned .250" tapered PTG lug, epoxy pillar bedded, and Jewell 1.5-3.0 oz. BR trigger.
Went with McGowan (2) 1-8 twist four groove 1.200" O.D. barrels. Both are headspaced identically.

Screwed the first barrel on and broke it in yesterday. The local range was closed for another clubs annual championship match, so I drove up into the hills and set up a 100 yard target. The folding table I was shooting off of was a little spongy, so I didn't know what to expect?

Even shooting groups with cleaning between shots, at the end of the day

they averaged .261". It liked both the 107 SMK's, and Berger 105 VLD Hybrids.
I ran two different charges of Varget, and CCI 450's

107 SMK's

105 Berger Hybrids.

Now it's time to build a solid top portable bench laugh

-Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Mike!

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have another winner!! thumbup thumbup

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3517 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Good looking pistol and great groups congrats!!!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looking GOOD!! thumbup

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1676 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of captain John
posted Hide Post
I built a 6 dasher last summer, it's buy far the most accurate gun I own, hands down

IHMSA Industry Director
IHMSA Region 5 Director
Minnesota State IHMSA Director
IHMSA 39199Life
NRA life Member

Posts: 418 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed!
Aaron keeps telling me I NEED a Dasher

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain John:
I built a 6 dasher last summer, it's buy far the most accurate gun I own, hands down

I started shooting my first dasher for silhouettes a couple years back.
Pure poison. Shot a couple of 500m matches with it too. Shot a 39 with it. Had no issues with taking 500m Rams.
Shot the 105 grain Berger hybrids.
Aaron (rickiesrevenge) turned me onto the Dasher Big Grin
Amazing how well they shoot with very little fuss thumbup

-mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
Very nice indeed!
Aaron keeps telling me I NEED a Dasher

LOL!
Everybody needs a dasher IMO Big Grin
Aaron wouldn't steer you wrong thumbup

-mike

posted Hide Post
Looking good Mike....... I know your ready to stretch it's legs now. munch

Scott

Posts: 558 | Location: Goodyear,Arizona | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of captain John
posted Hide Post
I have also shot mine on 500 meter silhouettes last summer in California before IHMSA world championships then again last fall for Region 4 Championships. I shoot. SMK 107 C,P and switch to Berger VLD 105 for T,R. What a hoot ! Really fun to shoot, amazing accurate . Dell Taylor just built me a custom trigger, looking forward to shooting it in two weeks at our next match.

IHMSA Industry Director
IHMSA Region 5 Director
Minnesota State IHMSA Director
IHMSA 39199Life
NRA life Member

Posts: 418 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Excellent as always Mike. Sharp looking firearm!!
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Gosh I need to quit seeing these things! My caliber wish list keeps getting bigger! Lol. Dang good looking groups there! Good work!

Posts: 126 | Location: missouri | Registered: June 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 40xmike:

Everybody needs a dasher IMO Big Grin

-mike

I completely agree. I've got 5 dasher barrels. Probably get another once I get moved to Michigan.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Very nice Mike!
Have you tried the 105 Amax yet?If your gun likes the 107,it should like the Amax as well.The Berger 105 hybrid usually is awesome too off the lands a little.Can't go wrong with a DasherSmile
Matt

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 635 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 17VLD:
Very nice Mike!
Have you tried the 105 Amax yet?If your gun likes the 107,it should like the Amax as well.The Berger 105 hybrid usually is awesome too off the lands a little.Can't go wrong with a DasherSmile
Matt

Thanks Matt!
I haven't tried the 105 A-Maxes in this gun yet. My 6BR XP-100 shot them well. I'll need to grab another box of em' and give them a go.

I did get started on a new portable bench today!

I epoxied some aluminum inserts into the deck that the front rest feet set into. Thought this might be nice to capture the rest and keep it in place a little better. Big Grin

I'm planning on heading east next weekend if the weather cooperates to stretch the legs out on the new rig on some chucks and steel happy

Thanks all bowdown

-Mike

Picture of ole95
posted Hide Post
As always great looking/shooting rig
Look foreard to your chuck report

Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
shoot like your life depends on it

Posts: 532 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Cool Build
Great Report

DAN

Posts: 748 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I know I said it before but I will say it again, sweet looking set up. bowdown "Everybody needs a dasher" Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Big Grin Hopefully the weather will cooperate for the chuck for you. Will be waiting for the report.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
Videos!! We want videos!! Flying chuck ala Dasher.
Nice looking rig. Is that the one you are going to shoot from the joystick rest? Or is that another build on the horizon?

Looking good. Hope you find lots of opportunity to try that out. Wish I could come back for a while, but I have to work. furious

Videos.....

Steve Smile
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1933 | Location: Washington  | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaggy357:
Videos!! We want videos!! Flying chuck ala Dasher.
Nice looking rig. Is that the one you are going to shoot from the joystick rest? Or is that another build on the horizon?

Looking good. Hope you find lots of opportunity to try that out. Wish I could come back for a while, but I have to work. furious

Videos.....

Steve,
We wish you could come back too!

I found some prospective new spots to hunt on Google Earth in the same area that I'm going to look over, so next year while you are here there should be lots of shooting devil

Yes, this gun was meant to go on the SEB joystick front rest. Unfortunately when the rest became available, the funds weren't ohboy It will have to ride on the Bald Eagle rest for awhile longer...

I'm hoping to get some good video and stills again this weekend.

I'm gonna get another 28 Nosler barrel threaded up and chambered for this rig soon. I'll need to open up the bolt face on the spare bolt that I have and install a new extractor. It will most likely get the 5-port brake nuts

I also have a another 8 twist 20 cal. barrel on the way for this gun. The 20 BR on this platform will be a fun set-up eh??? Big Grin

I'll zing a couple of chucks just for you this weekend thumbup

-Mike

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
quote:

I found some prospective new spots to hunt on Google Earth in the same area that I'm going to look over, so next year while you are here there should be lots of shooting devil

happy happy happy

I'm hoping to get some good video and stills again this weekend. happy

I'm gonna get another 28 Nosler barrel threaded up and chambered for this rig soon. I'll need to open up the bolt face on the spare bolt that I have and install a new extractor. It will most likely get the 5-port brake nuts

Cool What's another port or two, you have Raybans! Cool

I also have a another 8 twist 20 cal. barrel on the way for this gun. The 20 BR on this platform will be a fun set-up eh??? Big Grin

I have been thinking on one of those BR's or Vartags...I have two 7BR's gathering dust in the safe.

I'll zing a couple of chucks just for you this weekend thumbup happy bonk happy I'll get the popcorn ready..... popcorn

-Mike

Woohoo! Excited for you. I will think of you while I am packing for my trip to GP in 29 days.... Big Grin

Steve Smile
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1933 | Location: Washington  | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
You KNOW how to build em and shoot em Mike! Job well done!

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, this gun was meant to go on the SEB joystick front rest. Unfortunately when the rest became available, the funds weren't ohboy It will have to ride on the Bald Eagle rest for awhile longer...
-Mike

I should have some extra MAX's on hand within the month... Troll paperbag

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mike.......what is your bbl length?

An analog guy in a digital world

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justgettinold:
Mike.......what is your bbl length?

justgettinold,
Welcome to SP Hi
The barrel is right at 18".

-mike

Picture of 44MAG
posted Hide Post
Mike, What a sweet setup and a Tack driver for sure. So after the up coming chuck trip can we see you play a bit of Golf at the 300yd rails in GP for 2017 WCC and entertain us ?? Smile thumbup

May your Lead fly to its mark.
Steve

Posts: 144 | Location: WA | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Another nice job Mike. I'll bet you have more fun with the Dasher than the 28 Nosler. laugh

Posts: 1626 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iowa Fox:
Another nice job Mike. I'll bet you have more fun with the Dasher than the 28 Nosler. laugh

Jon,
You would win that bet Big Grin
I've had a chance to shoot the Dasher out past a 1000 yards now, and its really fun. The local rifle club has allowed me to shoot their F-Class matches with it too. happy
Though not as much fun to shoot, the 28 Nosler does its intended job very well thumbup

-Mike

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jon,You would win that bet I've had a chance to shoot the Dasher out past a 1000 yards now, and its really fun. The local rifle club has allowed me to shoot their F-Class matches with it too. Though not as much fun to shoot, the 28 Nosler does its intended job very well -Mike

Be careful Mike, you'll have those boys telling you no when you start winning! Big Grin

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3517 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgp:
quote:
Jon,You would win that bet I've had a chance to shoot the Dasher out past a 1000 yards now, and its really fun. The local rifle club has allowed me to shoot their F-Class matches with it too. Though not as much fun to shoot, the 28 Nosler does its intended job very well -Mike

Be careful Mike, you'll have those boys telling you no when you start winning! Big Grin

Glenn

Glenn,
I actually won the last two matches with it thumbup
They said it was okay for me to come back Big Grin

-Mike

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice Mike!
Matt

You might want to stay away from Amax's. Hornaday redid the Amax bullets because the tip would sometimes melt. That is why they are now called eld's. Explained why I was getting misses at distance with 208 Amax's. My load shot 1/4 to 3/8 groups at 100 yards but at 1000 yards on a 2 minute target(no wind)..........
Have now switched to Berger hybrids with no issues.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old leghumper:
quote:
Very nice Mike!
Matt

You might want to stay away from Amax's. Hornaday redid the Amax bullets because the tip would sometimes melt. That is why they are now called eld's. Explained why I was getting misses at distance with 208 Amax's. My load shot 1/4 to 3/8 groups at 100 yards but at 1000 yards on a 2 minute target(no wind)..........
Have now switched to Berger hybrids with no issues.

Thanks for sharing that thumbup
All I've shot through it have been the 107 SMK's and the 105 Hybrids.

Although I did just see this yesterday.

http://www.hornady.com/store/6...43-108-gr-ELD-Match/

I guess time will tell how popular they will be munch

-Mike

posted Hide Post
Great job as always Mike!!!!!

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post