Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger 7mm 180gr Hybrid Target Login/Join 

posted
Hi SPF,
Any recommendations on a cartridge that could make the Berger 180gr hybrid target get to a muzzle velocity of 2300 fps with a 13.5" barrel? 7mm08, 7mm creedmoor, 7mmx47 Lapua, 284 win, or 280AI, I'd like to stick with a short action and be able to feed from a magazine. If the only way to get that velocity is to go with a long action or single feed I guess I will do it. I'd like to stay away from magnums.

Thanks

Posts: 24 | Location: north | Registered: September 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Quickload says that the 284 will get you there with a couple powders. 280AI has more powders that get 2300+.

I doubt either one will be short enough to be in a short action. Thats a really long bullet.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
my 284Win XP-100 with an 18 inch barrel shoots well with Retumbo and the 180 hybrid,I get 2500fps,if you choose a 15 or 16 inch barrel you would be a little on the plus side of your goal.
Matt

------------------------------
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 632 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting to use a short action magazine, the 284 Win, 280 AI will require the bullets to be seated really deep/losing powder capacity.
Thinking 7mm-08AI or 7 SAUM

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post