Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the market for a striker or xp Login/Join 

posted
Been lurking around the site for some time now and I'm in the market to get either a xp or a striker for alternative methods deer season in Missouri. Is one of these better then the other in your guys opinion? Also where is a good place to find one as I know there not the easiest to come by?

Posts: 5 | Location: Gerald MO | Registered: December 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a loaded question. Having had both, I can say that a midgrip XP has better balance and is bit handier. One thing I prefer about the Striker is the ability to change barrels at will, and the quick follow up shot capability can come in handy. The factory stock of the Striker was designed for HUGE hands. I slimmed mine down a lot to fit my hands. The factory XP stock fit me perfectly. Of course there are custom options available for both. I'd suggest saving a search on GunBroker and eventually if you're patient you will land a good deal.
The XP's seem to demand a higher price than the Striker, and some sellers are crackhead

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Awesome thanks. I've noticed the xps do seem a tad higher. I've been checking on gunbroker and have seen the occasional one on here as well. I'm thinking on going with the striker since there a little more reasonable. Plus Im a bigger guy with big hands so maybe it will fit me well

Posts: 5 | Location: Gerald MO | Registered: December 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SP. What caliber are you looking for?
Keep watching the classifieds
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm looking for possibly a 7mm-08. What were some bigger calibers they made
In the striker. Also I see a lot of guys hand load for them. Do they shoot a lot better with hand loads?

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
The largest factory chamberings were the 270 WSM and 300 WSM. Other offerings were 223 rem, 22-250, 243 win, 260 rem, 7-08 and 308 win.

With custom barrels you can do just about anything you want.

Hand loading allows you to get the most from any firearm by finding what the gun likes. Some factory ammo has gotten pretty darn good though.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Hey Buffalo!
Welcome to the forum, we're not too far apart. I live in Viburnum so I'll keep an eye out for a pistol for you. You have gotten good advice so far, I have flirted with the bolt guns (Strikers and XPs both) on more than one occasion but have always gone back to the break open pistols. I shot my first Missouri handgun deer in 1978 with a 10" .30-30 Contender. I currently shoot Contenders and Encores both .

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2161 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
I've had rear grip XP's and center grip XP's and Strikers and I think that the center grip bolt guns balance better....but then I also like my rear grip Encores and Contenders. Smile

My Strikers in .308 and 7mm-08 were accurate out of the box but to me they were also more bulky / heavy than the XP's......the Strikers went down the road but I still have a XP.

Vietnam veteran.
NRA Range Safety Officer.
IHMSA # 48226.

Posts: 557 | Location: Central Okla. | Registered: December 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys and thanks bobcat for keeping an eye out

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SP. I have a Striker in 300wsm and love it! It does everything and has become one of my favorite pistols. I have good size hands and have loved the factory stock.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Buffalo,

WELL, if you're still in the market, you can refer to this ad for a few I have.

Strikers For SAle

Circumstances force sale.

calibers available are: 22-250, 243, 7-08, 308 in mid grip, and 284 WIN in a rear grip.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SP, Buffalo.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1837 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board. I've never owned a striker but I've shot them. I own several xp's. I like rear grips for shooting from the bench and centergrips for field work. Its not a balance thing for me. I normally shoot prone and centergrips allow more comfort when shooting prone because I'm not as bunched up. But for target work from a bench I really like Jewell triggers and the longer wheel base of a rear grip.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just got a striker, and have had XP's. The XP's are the top,but are much more money. The big plus for the Striker is barrel replacement. I got a 243 Striker, and changed the barrel to 6BR 8 twist. You can buy chambered barrel from places like Northland shooters supply, changes barrels at will. I got a in stock rifle barrel and had it cut locally. They will make you a pistol barrel, but it would take 8 to 12 weeks. You can also change Boltheads on all Savages, you can go from a 223 to 300 WSM with the same action. So if you can't find the Caliber you want, it can be changed.

Mark

Posts: 3 | Location: SW VA | Registered: December 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So if I'm using one for deer hunting and shooting off a bipod you guys would recommend center grips?

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Center grip thumbup
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Centergrip for that kind of shooting.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkS:
I just got a striker, and have had XP's. The XP's are the top,but are much more money. The big plus for the Striker is barrel replacement. I got a 243 Striker, and changed the barrel to 6BR 8 twist. You can buy chambered barrel from places like Northland shooters supply, changes barrels at will. I got a in stock rifle barrel and had it cut locally. They will make you a pistol barrel, but it would take 8 to 12 weeks. You can also change Boltheads on all Savages, you can go from a 223 to 300 WSM with the same action. So if you can't find the Caliber you want, it can be changed.

Mark

Can't you do that with rem's too? I think they call it remage??

Aaron

posted Hide Post
I have three xps to build off of. To me its xp's before strikers. The strikers around here seem to be bringing easily twice what you can get into a good xp for. Last xp i bought was $500. The striker i saw the other day they where asking $950 for!

Posts: 126 | Location: missouri | Registered: June 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buffalo12888:
So if I'm using one for deer hunting and shooting off a bipod you guys would recommend center grips?

Absolutely!

thumbup Rod

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I see Strikers in the $500 dollar range quite often, but it is hard to find an XP for less than $750 around here.(St Louis area)

Posts: 27 | Location: missouri | Registered: August 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just purchase my first Savage Striker in 243 Win with a Burris 1.5-4 scope, Harris bi-pod for $475. It looks like new & has been shot very little. I haven't shot it yet. Did I get a good deal? I also purchased a Remington XP 100 in 7mm BR, 15" barrel with a Burris 2.5-7 AO scope back in the spring. I won't say what I paid, probably too much, but I have wanted one since I first saw one. This one was made in 1985 & had never been fired. At 100 yds. it shoots dime size groups. Hope the Striker does the same.

Lord have mercy upon mine enemies for I will have none.

Posts: 26 | Location: Mecklenburg Co. VA | Registered: August 25, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I get a good deal?

You done good.

thumbup Rod

posted Hide Post
You made a good buy on the Striker topped off with the Burris and Harris.

Posts: 1612 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Cool

What load shoots good in that 7br?

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9432 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Kyode, I'm shooting 33gr. of Win 748, CCI 450 primers & Hornady 120gr. V-Max bullets in Remington cases, which by the way were hell to find, with a COL of 2.290. This is the first load I tried & I figured it was going to get any better so I stopped with that.

Posts: 26 | Location: Mecklenburg Co. VA | Registered: August 25, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Even my wife thought that Striker was a great deal so I got permission instead of having to for asking forgiveness. Now about those $425.00 worth of primers & powder I just ordered, I'm really going to have to ask for forgiveness!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstem54:
Thanks guys! Even my wife thought that Striker was a great deal so I got permission instead of having to for asking forgiveness. Now about those $425.00 worth of primers & powder I just ordered, I'm really going to have to ask for forgiveness!!!

laugh

-Mike

Posts: 2292 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post