Specialty Pistols
Final Update: Nosler Custom Handgun Parts

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/1720094007

June 26, 2021, 03:07 PM
Gary T
Final Update: Nosler Custom Handgun Parts
Hey guys, I’m looking for help w/ my Nosler Custom Handgun. I bought it last summer from Nosler as a used gun. It did not come w/ any info, including no parts diagram I’ve been very pleased w/ it. On my most recent prairie dog hunt I had an over pressure load. After removing the case, I decided to inspect and clean the extractor and ejector. I knew better than to do this in the field, but wisdom did not win the day. peed I ended up losing the extractor roll pin and the extractor spring. The gun and the other parts look fine. My problem now is finding replacement parts. The extractor is described as an “AR 15/M16 style extractor.” I sent an email to Nosler Customer Service asking if I could us M16 mil spec parts to repair the extractor. Their response: “This customer is assuming that our M-16 type of extractor uses the same parts as an AR15 does. That is not the case. We do not use an extractor buffer or an O-ring. We only use a spring, roll pin, and extractor. And all of our parts are different than a M16’s.” A friend had a spare AR 15 extractor roll pin so I tried it. Guess what….it didn’t fit, just like Nosler said it wouldn’t. I’ve since sent two more emails to Customer Service asking how and where to buy the parts, but they’ve not responded in 10 days. While awaiting Nosler’s response, I carried out an unsuccessful internet search for parts and diagram. My unsuccessful search included Nurich Arms, Midwest Gun Works, Brownell’s and Midway. I’m throwing out a lifeline for help. cry I’m going on another pd hunt in one month so I’d really like to get the gun up and running again. Does anyone know where I can find the parts? Is anyone aware of a parts diagram on the ‘net for the Nosler Custom Handgun or Model 48 rifle? Maybe someone has a better idea I’ve not thought of. Thanks for your help. thumbup

Update: This week I called Nosler Customer Service multiple times, leaving 3 voice mail messages. None were returned. I also sent another email to CS (total of 3 now). None were returned. Today I called the general number for Nosler and visited all 4 available department. Three went straight to voicemail w/o ringing. HR rang a few times before going to voicemail. Totally frustrated, I sent an email to the general email address, begging for help. Yesterday I even tried making a spring, but it was a dud. Fortunately, I found a tension pin yesterday at a hardware store, but I'll need to trim the length w/ my Dremel. Tomorrow I'm visiting my brother in law who says he has a large collection of springs. As you can tell, I'm getting really frustrated (and who wouldn't Mad) . At this point, if Nosler doesn't ever help me, my only other idea is to try some AR 15 extractor springs, hoping one might work since it's an "AR type extractor." Any other ideas??? Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gary T,

Good luck and good hunting.
June 26, 2021, 06:26 PM
Iowa Fox
Gary, Are you saying Nosler won't help you with a couple of infinitesimal parts even if you are willing to pay for them? I would think a credit card and a padded envelope should have them to you in a couple of days.

Jon
June 26, 2021, 06:38 PM
444Thumper
You're way more patient than I would be. Nosler's customer service number is 800-285-3701. Call them, don't wait for an email, especially when it's been 10 days. Probably should have just asked to buy the parts in the first email. At least they answered that one. Wink
June 26, 2021, 07:54 PM
Pa. Mike
Sorry to hear of your problem. My phone and email contacts with Nosler have been very extensive but their response rate for both phone and email messages runs about 10% ! ohboy
June 26, 2021, 08:29 PM
magman
In my conversations with Nosler, they never answered an email. Phone calls much better.

Tim
------------------------------

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

June 26, 2021, 09:06 PM
XSHOOTER
Roll pins & springs are nothing special to guns. Go to your local hardware store or home builders( Home Depot, Menards). If you can't find any thing there look up McMaster -Carr. You probably will have to trim to length but no big deal.
June 27, 2021, 04:18 AM
PRR1957
I thought all Nosler bolt action handguns and rifle are made by Howa. If that’s the case, try getting parts from Howa.

Peter Resetz
June 28, 2021, 09:32 PM
Gary T
Thx for the suggestions, guys. Cool When possible, I prefer dealing w/ CS by email during the evening instead of making phone calls during the day. Unfortunately, Nosler's not leaving me a choice. I'd hoped to make run to Tractor Supply tonight to look for parts, but we've got 2 out of town grandsons tonight so I won't be able to do that. I'm ready to be done w/ this. Tomorrow I'll call Nosler. Since my calls to CS frequently run 20-30 min, I'll carve out about 30 min from my schedule where I can do some paperwork at my desk, leaving my cell on speaker phone.

I don't know why dealing w/ CS has become such chore, but it seems like its that way w/ every industry nowadays. Sad

June 28, 2021, 09:35 PM
Gary T
quote:
Roll pins & springs are nothing special to guns. Go to your local hardware store or home builders( Home Depot, Menards). If you can't find any thing there look up McMaster -Carr.

My local hardware store was no help. I checked the nearest Home Depot (one hour drive) two weekends ago but they didn't have the part and said I'd have to order them online from HD. After looking at their website, McMaster-Carr would probably have the parts, but in a lot bigger quantity than I need. Thx.

June 28, 2021, 09:39 PM
Gary T
quote:
I thought all Nosler bolt action handguns and rifle are made by Howa. If that’s the case, try getting parts from Howa.

Peter, I've read that numerous times on the 'net, but have never heard it confirmed so I emailed them yesterday. Howa responded saying they do not manufacture handguns and they do not make the Nosler Model 48 rifle.

July 02, 2021, 11:13 PM
Gary T
Original post updated.

July 02, 2021, 11:30 PM
PRR1957
Howa doesn’t build the complete firearms. Nosler purchase non designated receivers then they are finished built as a complete rifle or handgun here in the U.S. Japan has a law prohibiting the manufacture of handguns including the export of them. Weatherby had a bolt action handgun built for them by Howa back in the late 1970’s. When the Japanese government learned of that, the production was halted.

Peter Resetz
July 03, 2021, 12:36 AM
Gary T
quote:
Originally posted by PRR1957:
Howa doesn’t build the complete firearms. Nosler purchase non designated receivers then they are finished built as a complete rifle or handgun here in the U.S. Japan has a law prohibiting the manufacture of handguns including the export of them. Weatherby had a bolt action handgun built for them by Howa back in the late 1970’s. When the Japanese government learned of that, the production was halted.

I don't know, Peter. All I do know is in response to my email, Howa denied making any handguns or the Nosler Model 48 rife. Maybe they're playing word games. Confused The bolt on my Howa Mini Action is similar to the NCH, but of course downsized. I've thought of taking apart the extractor on the Mini Action and comparing it to the NCH. If the parts are similar, I could try buying the needed parts from Howa for the full size Model 1500. Sure would be easy if Nosler would just provide some basic support for their product. devil

July 03, 2021, 01:02 AM
Gary T
Peter, You may be on to something. The schematics for the Smith&Wesson Model 1500 rifle and the Howa Model 1500 rifle look identical. Although I can't find schematics for the Nosler Custom Handgun, the actual extractor/ejector in hand looks just like the schematics for the S&W/Howa Model 1500. In addition, Gun Parts Corp has the S&W Model 1500 parts in stock. I've not found the same Howa parts yet on the 'net. Funny, but I had a S&W Model 1500 rifle in 30-06 >25 years ago. I traded it off w/o ever hunting w/ it, but it was a very accurate gun.

July 16, 2021, 04:56 PM
mlake01
Gary - just looking for an update here. Did Nosler ever take care of you?
July 17, 2021, 11:02 PM
Gary T
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the suggestioins and help SP’s provided me. Thanks Mike, for reaching out for me. Thanks mlake01, as well. Hopefully, this is my final update of this bad experience. Mad June 16, 2021, I sent my first email asking how to buy parts. Over next 2 weeks, I sent 3 more emails and left 3 messages on voice mail to the Customer Service representative I’d been corresponding with. None were answered. On Friday, July 2 at about 1 PM PST, I called every department listed on Nosler’s main phone number. All went directly to voice mail w/o ringing (including Customer Service), except for Human Resources. HR's went to voice mail after ringing 4 or 5 times. I came away wondering, “Does anyone at Nosler work on Friday afternoon? Does anyone at Nosler answer the phone?” Out of frustration, I immediately sent an email to Nosler’s general email address, begging for help. Over the next few days I did more research on the Howa Model 1500 as someone on SP (see prior post by Peter) commented that the NCH action was actually made by Howa. The schematics for the bolt, extractor spring and extractor roll pin on the Howa Model 1500/Weatherby Vanguard/Smith&Wesson Model 1500 (all made by Howa) looked just like those parts on my NCH. Since Nosler CS had been unresponsive, and I had a prairie dog hunt in less than 3 weeks, I decided to take a $12.50 “chance” on the Weatherby Vanguard parts and ordered them from Midway. The next day, the CR rep sent me an email saying he’d been off due to a family funeral and asked for my address to mail me the parts. I’m truly sorry for the death in his family, but that shouldn’t shut down the CS department for nearly 3 weeks. The next day he told me the parts would cost $15, including shipping. Since I was still upset and already had replacement parts that worked, I didn’t respond until July 13. I said I wanted the parts, but was surprised I was being charged in light of the long delay. The next day I received an email saying the parts had already been mailed. I received the parts July 15.

I can neither confirm nor deny that Howa makes the NCH. When I asked that question of Legacy International (US distributor of Howa guns), they said Howa did not make handguns and did not make the Nosler Model 48 rifle. What I can say is the NCH extractor roll pin and extractor spring look identical to the same parts on the Howa Model 1500/Weatherby Vanguard, fit the NCH just fine and work well. Maybe I was just lucky and the Howa parts fit…… or maybe it was more than luck. Confused At any rate, I’ve got the actual Nosler parts to serve as back up should I have any further problems in the future.

I still like the NCH and feel confident recommending the gun. On the other hand, based on my experience, I can’t recommend Nosler Customer Service. If you buy a Nosler gun and have probems, get ready for a rough and slow ride. peed