Specialty Pistols
Weatherby Mark V CFP pistol

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/1710000686

February 13, 2017, 03:47 PM
BobM
Weatherby Mark V CFP pistol
Went down to my favorite shooting gear shop today to get a FFL transfer started.
One of the counter guys says "Hey Doc!(Their nickname for me) Did you see what's in the lower case?" I looked in and I saw what I thought was a XP-100R. Not even close. What they have there is a McMillan stocked Weatherby Mark V CFP bolt action pistol in 7mm-'08 with a SS fluted 15" barrel . 54 degree bolt opening with a 3x-12x Burris on top.

Now had I not just blown my "gun budget" I might have had to drop the $1350.00 they're asking for it. Never saw one before. They tell me there were very few made.
Looks just like this one.

February 13, 2017, 03:59 PM
nmhunter
There have been a few on SP. others will most likely respond as well. I had a couple of them and sold them soon after I bought them. They were not very accurate. Just not the gun they should have been. Also I believe the stocks are bell&carlson , both of mine had the finish to crack severely Weat. Replaced them at no cost at the time. My 2cents you are better off with a xp 100r.
Nmhunter
February 13, 2017, 04:10 PM
Sawfish
You got a real deal on that rig. Congrats! Weatherby made a couple of different runs of the CFP, but gave up to concentrate on more profitable ventures. One thing that I have never understood about the big gun companies' ventures into bolt action pistols is why they limited their offerings to similar calibers. Mainly those that are derived from the .308 Winchester parent case. There is certainly nothing wrong with those cartridges, but one could obtain a Savage Striker in .308 Winchester for approximately one third the price of a Weatherby CFP. That difference might be hard for some folks to justify. I always thought Weatherby should have offered the CFP in .257 Weatherby. It would have needed a little longer barrel, and would have likely been limited to one shot, but it would have been a unique little gun. I also thought the Striker should have been offered in .300 Savage and .250 Savage, but that never came to pass.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling
February 13, 2017, 04:26 PM
semperfi
Many more options, and ways to spend your money with xp's. laugh

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member
February 13, 2017, 04:36 PM
jsh
I had a Weatherby CFP for about two days. Don't walk away, run.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!
February 13, 2017, 05:30 PM
big10
quote:
Now had I not just blown my "gun budget"

A blessing ;-)

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)
February 13, 2017, 08:37 PM
BobM
Sound like a good thing for me I went for the Dan Wesson 357 Super Mag 8" barrel. Never thought that Weatherby would come up with a "turd" based on their rep. OH WELL? Now the next question is? Do I tell the boys at the gun shop they might just have a "POS" in their display case? Roll Eyes
February 13, 2017, 08:46 PM
spanky
Keep in mind Weatherby built a "Silhouette Pistol. That's the rare bird and is worth about 3-5 times what a CFP is.Maybe more. The Silhouette Pistol was discontinued in 1981, and was only in 22-250 and 308. According to the book, only 50, 22-250's and 150, 308's were made.

When you see a wood stocked Weatherby pistol examine carefully as you might just have found a gem.
February 13, 2017, 09:20 PM
nmhunter
Wood, not laminated,
February 13, 2017, 10:25 PM
jsh
Names can be applied to a lot of things. The silhouette model I never saw on the line, nor did I ever read anything on them to make me interested. Rare or not I don't know. I do know of a gent local to me that has the silhouette, he always shot an XP or a Wichita.

As to telling them they have a turd. I have done that at shops that I frequent just because I considered them friends, that didn't like the info I gave them. So anymore I just bite my tongue as long as I can.

G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!
February 14, 2017, 12:23 AM
spanky
The Weatherby SP are real enough. They were very pricey and did not sell very well when you could buy XP's for 100-150.00 in the 1970's. Weatherbys were not intended to set match records but were promoted as the gun for the discriminating hunter. When only 150-200 guns are produced it's hard for everyone to have seen one. I have only seen one and it was as gorgeous as a "Varmint Master". without the butt stock.

I would not pay the going rate as I don't collect factory firearms, but for that crowd you cant get much rarer than a Silhouette Pistol. If you are looking for accuracy a CFP is the wrong place to look. A SP Weatherby is a rare collector item. It does not have to prove itself. I think some don't realize the CFP and the SP are two different animals.

February 14, 2017, 06:34 AM
IKE
I had one in 7mm-08 for about six months and sent it down the road, even after having the stock bedded and the trigger worked it never shot as good as my XP-100 or 15" Encore barrel in 7mm-08.....I ended up loosing around $100.00 on it but I was happy to see it go.

Vietnam veteran.
NRA Range Safety Officer.
IHMSA # 48226.
February 14, 2017, 11:04 AM
Lone Hunter
Did't they make a model a few years ago that looked like a pistol but because of the overall length was sold as a rifle?
February 14, 2017, 01:24 PM
Nitemann
They started with wood stocked version shown above on the book cover. They only made a few before somebody figured out they were being made in Japan and making a pistol over there was a big no no. They then made the CFP (Center Fire Pistol) with the laminated stock. They followed this model up with the Accumark CFP which was the same version only with a HS Precision stock that later was produced by Bell & Carlson. The last version produced was the Tan colored B&C stocked CFP which stood for Compact Firing Platform. Accuracy is nowhere as good as the XP's but it still is acceptable for big game hunting with groups around 1.5" for 3 shots at 100yds. When I get a chance i'll post a pic of mine in 243, 7-08 and 308.

Rick
February 14, 2017, 03:02 PM
McClura
HAH, now we know where most of the Weatherby pistols went. Big Grin
Please post photos of these ghost pistols.

Mike

: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.
February 14, 2017, 08:28 PM
Nitemann
Top to bottom, 308, 708, 243.

February 14, 2017, 11:12 PM
Gary T
Hey guys,
I knew very little about Weatherby bolt action pistols before reading this thread. The underlying theme seems to be accuracy that was not up to XP standards. Sounds like some of y'all did a number of typical things to improve accuracy, but were not satisfied. Why do y'all think the Weatherby was not as accurate as the XP? Confused

Good luck and good hunting.
February 15, 2017, 10:29 PM
Nitemann
Gary not really sure. The action is the mark V ultralight, I believe the barrels are from one of the better custom makers, the stocks are HS or B&C depending on when they were made, the triggers adjust nicely. They look like they should shoot well. Mine seem to shoot best with heavy bullets and midrange loads.
February 28, 2021, 04:04 PM
Charles Bauer
Hey Guys! I am new here and reading your posts. I just happen to own a Weatherby CFP and have for over 20 years. Believe it or not I have always referred to it as my most reliably accurate firearm, as just an unmodified factory gun. It is in 243 Win. Identical to the one above. I have not hand loaded for it and quickly settled on plain old Winchester power points in both 80 and 100 grain. Usually shoot only 3 shot groups and they seldom ever open up over an inch. Premium ammunition on the other hand did not shoot very well. I wish cartridges would be a little easier to load but other than that its really been great. Love the Forum
February 28, 2021, 04:21 PM
McClura
Welcome Charles to the site. You got one when they built it all of the stars lined up in the sky that day and it must have been built on a Wed. when all of the builders were having a good day. HAH
Glad you have one that shoots. Nothing wrong with shooting factory ammo except right now it's pretty hard to locate.
Mike

: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.
February 28, 2021, 05:00 PM
Nitemann
Of the 3 I had the 243 was the most accurate with 1" possible. It is the only one I still have. Just fyi, I have an extra HS stock for one if anyone is wanting to replace their laminate.

Rick