Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The importance of weight. Login/Join 

posted
What's the weight of your hunting rig? What do you all think is manageable, ultralight, or boat anchor style. Do you use a muzzle brake?

I plan to build something chambered in 6.5x47L, 260, or 6.5creed. I was thinking of a weight about 5lbs or under without optics. But,I was looking on the internet and found some really cool lightweight stuff. Pierce Engineering Titanium action(Rem 700 clone)17oz. AB Arms Mod*X chassis 19oz without all the rifle furniture. 13" Bartlein #1 featherweight barrel 17oz. Plus trigger, plus hand grip, we are looking at 59oz, 3.625 lbs. Is this to light? I see a lot of you running 8-10 lbs rigs.

Thanks

Posts: 24 | Location: north | Registered: September 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm not a target shooter -- most all of my SPs are designed for hunting. I lean toward heavier guns -- heavier barrels, as I like the extra weight. Many of my hunting handguns weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 - 7+ pounds. Dedicated target shooters will opt for much more weight but for hunting -- this works for me. I can shoot the heavier guns better -- as the lighter models are much more difficult to hold steady, especially after you've just climbed a mountain, walked for miles, or simply get nervous when that monster buck appears. While lighter pistols are easier to carry - I'll pack the extra weight and feel more confident when the shot materializes. Just my 2 cents -- your mileage may vary.

Posts: 1008 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't worry too much about weight, mostly hunt from blinds now, I don't like them too heavy, 7 to 10 pounds max for my rifles, but I don't use any muzzle breaks , so something to soak up the recoil is always nice. On my bird guns I like double barrel S X S 16 gauge 7 lbs or so . on my SPs again no breaks and not too worried about the weight, do not have any bench guns specifically, all are put together with the thought of hunting, +2 on what Mark said, the extra weight is good for a steady shot.

Ed

Posts: 473 | Location: Key Colony Beach, FL Keys | Registered: January 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
Weight by what type of hunting shooting you are doing. If everything on foot every ounce counts. Even a 5# unit gets to be a boat anchor after a couple hours on the trail. Sitting in a blind no big deal go for comfort that's where the extra weight comes in softens that should slam. There is also a bit of optimum length per cartridge- slightly affected by factory or hand loads as well. Your avg. sporting rifle is going to have around a 20-22" barrel, shorter than that and muzzle flash starts to get ridiculous particularly in the magnums with slow powders. A high velocity wiz bang cartridge tends to suffer quite a bit when the barrel is too short. I won't even get into sight radius / barrel length as most are running optics now days not Irons of one type or another. You can lose up to ( give or take) 100fps per inch below 20" of barrel length from a factory cartridge velocity spec.

Just one more little tidbit- barrels less than 16" better be on an action designated from the mfg. as a pistol or big brother gets his shorts all wadded up in the wrong places.

Posts: 529 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My 6.5x55 AI XP weighs in at 9# even as pictured. I run hearing protection whether shooting or hunting as well. It isn't exactly a light weight rig, but in a centergrip, it's manageable in the field.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark hampton:
I'm not a target shooter -- most all of my SPs are designed for hunting. I lean toward heavier guns -- heavier barrels, as I like the extra weight. Many of my hunting handguns weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 - 7+ pounds. Dedicated target shooters will opt for much more weight but for hunting -- this works for me. I can shoot the heavier guns better -- as the lighter models are much more difficult to hold steady, especially after you've just climbed a mountain, walked for miles, or simply get nervous when that monster buck appears. While lighter pistols are easier to carry - I'll pack the extra weight and feel more confident when the shot materializes. Just my 2 cents -- your mileage may vary.

X2

Well said Mark!
I don't mind the extra weight. The stability trade off is well worth it 2cents

-Mike

Posts: 2292 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
I myself like to set up the pistol as I want it and don't really worry about weight. I have a 308 that is almost 13 lbs and I still use a muzzle brake. I can see impact through the 6-18 Leupold rifle scope. I am a fan of center grip more for hunting. I always use hearing protection so the brake is never a problem. I feel some weight can be your friend as for accuracy also. You couldn't go wrong with a pistol such as Da-law-Dawg has pictured! Good luck and let us know what you come up with. Oh and welcome to SP!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Being a wheelgun hunter at heart an SP for me still needs to be maneuverable. If I can't shoot it in a modified free hand position I don't want it.

I like it light and maneuverable with a good brake.

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Ditto on mark and law dawg. My sp' are all on the heavy side.
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Mine also, they run from 8-9 to 11-12 lbs.

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 805 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post