Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

400 yard caliber Login/Join 

Picture of welderdaehon
posted
I have a Savage Striker 516 presently, and want to set up a 500 yard hunting rig for deer that could go as big as 300 lbs. possibly. What caliber would I need out to 400 yards? Thank you for your time.

Posts: 69 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Depends on your state as some calibers are restricted.

.270, 6.5x55, .308 come to mind as getting it done and still find affordable ammo.

I went .308 because I load for it and have rifles in the same caliber

Posts: 21 | Location: NW CT | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sheehan93
posted Hide Post
An old classic like the 284 Win would be a good option.

Marc Sheehan

Life NRA Member

Posts: 1109 | Location: Syracuse, NE, USA | Registered: November 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 7-08 in Ballistic Tips or Berger VLD Hunter bullets.
I have used the 7-08 for years in the XP's, Encores and had one in the Dominator barrel mounted on a 1911 frame. I love the 284 and that is what I use most now to hunt with but that is not a round that you find just anywhere.
The 7-8 is flatter shooting than the 308 and with the new long, good BC bullets they will shoot great to the distance you mention.
All did well with a Burris 3x12 Ballistic Plex scope. Antelope, deer, pigs and coyotes.
I took one antelope at 405 yards in Wyoming. I found this antelope doe that had been shot in the rump and she was not staying put long enough for me to get in close. I finally found a small hill and set up until she stopped long enough to range her and get set up and fire a round. She dropped at the shot. I was using the 140 grn Ballistic Tip in a 7-08 XP.

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3081 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
Since a full-length cartridge like the .270 WCF won’t fit easily in the little Savage, and the .308 WCF is a bit light for reliable bullet performance at 500 yards (more like a weak .300 Savage In a rifle) I’d suggest a 7mm WSM or .300 WSM. The .284 might work, but the OP has the option of any cartridge which will fit so why compromise? Besides, brass availability for the .284 is spotty and will not get better in the future. And a wounded doe antelope is not a 300 pound buck deer.....

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 992 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As much to do with ability as cartridge and bullet.

308 is kinda soft? Now I find out after using one for 20+ years paperbag

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3032 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
7-08

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In the Striker I would do the 7mm08 because its easy and works. We get some of those big white tails down here also but are stuck with straight wall cases.

Posts: 1626 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
quote:
...308 is kinda soft? Now I find out after using one for 20+ years...

Wow, you're successfully harvested 300# game at 500 yards with your .308 handgun? I’m impressed, what bullets did you use on what animals?

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 992 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
not so much the cartridge itself as it is the pill in the end + placement of course. Need to use a pill designed for the velocities attainable. Just for grins 15" barrel striker vs 22" rifle same cartridge same loading expect to see apx 500 fps less velocity in the 15" vs the 22" (that might be a bit over the top- but still worth noting). Now I will modify that a bit because there are so many newish powders vs the traditional that I am used to.
the pill needs to transfer it's remaining energy into the quarry- not go zipping through like a hot knife in butter nor blowing up on the hide ( discounting bone strikes of course) so some care must be taken in the selection of same.

Posts: 531 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I've routinely done groundhogs, deer, 30+ African animals in addition to 2 800# kudus at 201, and 368 in my XP-100 6.5/.284 out to 581 yds and a 3-12 Burris BPlex scope. It's my go to, do everything gun/caliber. A SSK Arrestor brake makes it a pussy cat to shoot. Brass is findable at several sites. I have a lot of other accurate single shots, but when I go on a trip that I want to be successful, the 6.5/.284 has never let me down.

Posts: 1864 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by welderdaehon:
I have a Savage Striker 516 presently, and want to set up a 500 yard hunting rig for deer that could go as big as 300 lbs. possibly. What caliber would I need out to 400 yards? Thank you for your time.

Do you plan on using the magazine or run it as a single-shot?

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
The wsm cases will feed in a striker from the mag.

If you want more power than the 7-08 one of the wsm rounds would be the way to go.

No shortage of WSM cases.

6.5-284 brass will be around as long as we have guns that use brass cases and it’s easy to neck up to 7mm....

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of welderdaehon
posted Hide Post
If I can do so Ernie, use the magazine, but can go single shot if the cartridge is long action.

Posts: 69 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of welderdaehon
posted Hide Post
And to correct an earlier typo, the pistol is a Savage Striker 510. It has the original .308 barrel on it presently.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
You can change out the bolt head on the Striker and go with the short action magnum cartridges as mentioned (WSM/SAUM/PRC).
If, you want to stay with the bolt head you have, then you will decide if you want to still use the magazine with the shorter cartridges or use it as a single-shot with the longer ones.
You have options.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
6.5x284 or 284 would be my two choices. With practice you can shoot almost as fast without the mag. Plus you get to maximize the case capacity by seating bullets way out when you don't have to worry about fitting them in a mag.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The 308 will get you to 400. The only problem would be the factory barrel is thin enough at the muzzle with the 30 cal hole it would be almost impossible to thread it for a brake. The guys that have used the Witt clamp on say they have good luck with them. Just for the heck of it you could try a few rounds just they way it sits to get a feel for it.

Posts: 1626 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iowa Fox:
The 308 will get you to 400. The only problem would be the factory barrel is thin enough at the muzzle with the 30 cal hole it would be almost impossible to thread it for a brake. The guys that have used the Witt clamp on say they have good luck with them. Just for the heck of it you could try a few rounds just they way it sits to get a feel for it.

Whats the muzzle diameter?

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
quote:
Originally posted by Iowa Fox:

Whats the muzzle diameter?

Aaron

Aaron, My 510 Striker is a 22-250. I just grabbed a quick measurement at the muzzle and it is .573 OD. I don't know if Savage used the same profile on all their Striker barrels or if they are different. The only reason I even considered this one is because it appears unfired and it was cheap, 340 bucks. With 4 XPs and knowing better I just had to try one. I can't get the trigger under 3# for anything, makes the whole thing a pos.

Jon

Picture of welderdaehon
posted Hide Post
I can pick up a bull barrel .308 from McGowen, or have Hoggin make one for me, but a muzzle brake would be a must. My last xp-100R had a JP Howlitzer brake, and it wouldn't lift off the table when using a bipod. I am a bit recoil sensitive, and could possibly drop the distance to 300 for deer, and as far as I can range for paper.

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Holland will be the top brake on your xp

It can make a 26 nosler something that can be shot with a rifle scope....and even larger rounds

Picture of welderdaehon
posted Hide Post
Hoggin, what barrel length would I need for the 7mm-08, and would I need to stay under 26" overall length. I plan to use a suppressor with it within time.

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
If you are using a non designated or pistol action you can use any length barrel.

If it was a rifle before it must be over 26” over all with a 16” barrel or more.

7-08 I’d want a minimum of 14”