Specialty Pistols
What kinds of shooting do you plan to do this summer?

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/1610093496

June 01, 2019, 12:55 PM
Ernie
What kinds of shooting do you plan to do this summer?
I do more shooting in the summer typically.
What kinds of shooting outings do you want to do?
Comps?
Fun shoots?
load development?
Varminting?
Plinking?
Other?

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
June 01, 2019, 02:41 PM
Nitemann
Ernie since i'm in Arizona I would say air conditioned Big Grin
June 01, 2019, 04:51 PM
Predator_huntin
Planning on fun range plinking time and some varminting thrown in here and there. Can't get work to cooperate with my plans this far though and give me any time off to play!

Chris
June 01, 2019, 07:31 PM
grandpasj
This summer will be looking to do load development and plinking. That is when the new barrels arrive.
June 01, 2019, 07:35 PM
Pa. Mike
Scoping a few new specialty pistols and getting them dialed in for the fall. The one I really want to get started on is the Nosler 48 in 6 Creed. that I bought a while back. I also want to get a load worked up for my HSP 7 saum using the new ADG brass I obtained and the new Nosler 150 grain Accubonds that just arrived. I mainly plan on punching a lot of paper.
June 01, 2019, 08:16 PM
WV Hitman
Groundhogs (4 today with Quiet Gun), rockchucks (already done), skunks (one tonight with Quiet Gun), and permit deer.
All guns are sighted in and ready to go.
June 02, 2019, 12:27 AM
Kylongrifle
Hope to be doing it all this summer as I picked up several new to me barrels over the winter.
Would like to try my hand at silhouette shooting at a local range with the 32-20 or 7mm TCU barrels.
Lots of back yard plinking with the 17 Mach 2 and 22 rf and threaded barrel 222 rem shooting 55 great cast bullets subsonic.
June 1st is my opening day to start ground hog hunting. I usually wait till then to make sure the little ones get whined unless some one calls complaining about seeing them and wanting them gone now . So today I hit the fields today with two new barrels. A 17 Hornet and 6mm TCU. The 17 Hornet scored two and the 6mm downed three.
Looks like the beginning of a fun filled summer. Then deer season begins.
Happy shooting Mike
June 02, 2019, 01:26 AM
Iowa Fox
Its another heavy varmint year here. I average about 500 rimfire rounds a month just on our own place and I can't make a dent in the population.

Jon
June 02, 2019, 08:38 AM
Nitemann
quote:
I average about 500 rimfire rounds a month just on our own place and I can't make a dent in the population.

Jon what kind of varmints are you shooting in Iowa?

Rick
June 02, 2019, 10:42 AM
Iowa Fox
Rick,

I do all of the shooting on our own property for the most part. Lots of ground hogs, thirteen line ground squirrels, chipmunks, the Bros in law still feed livestock so the feed draws a lot of opportunity in the form of sparrows and starlings. I had breakfast with one of the guys from work last week, he shot 72 groundhogs out of one machine shed at his grandpa's place last year with his Ruger Mark. He says he has a new crop of them back in again this year that he is working on. Some are seasonal so won't mention them by name but you gotta keep them out of the livestock feed and keep them from tearing up your buildings. I guess you could call it maintenance varminting.

The Brother in law was over last week. He told me one of their cows had twins both were doing fine at birth and standing fine. He went to check on them a few hours later and coyotes had killed and eaten one. I don't shoot coyotes at my place because we are so overloaded with deer I need to have them eat as many as they can.

Jon
June 02, 2019, 12:06 PM
McClura
Going to start out with a new 257 JDJ Contender. Got it, looks unfired with Burris 3x12 BP scope and approx. 150 rounds of ammo, 85 gun Ballistic Tips. The loading info on the boxes show 2002. I think the guy I got it from, had the barrel made, with TSOB base and rings, got the dies and loaded some ammo and never shot it. He couldn't remember shooting it. He is up in years and moving some of his stuff.

Next will be my new Ruger Old Army Blackpowder revolver. I had some 245grn Conicals made and will be trying them for pigs and deer season when it roles around.

Also, doing more load development with the HS Precision 300 SAUM pistol. I put a new Burris 3x12 BP on it last year before deer season and loaded some 150 grn, Accubonds and took a nice buck with it. Now I need to check my ballistic lines in the scope and see exactly where they are hitting if I need to go out past 150 yds. where it is zero'd.

Probably others at the same time. Will be putting more time in with my new Walther Concealed carry weapon. 400 rounds through it so far. Love it.

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.
June 02, 2019, 04:44 PM
PRR1957
Coyote's. There's a pack of them were I'm at. Use a Ruger 77/22 with a can and subsonic ammo at night and a Sako L461 Vixen single shot bolt action pistol in 6 PPC that I recently acquired during day light hours. Also, killing alot of paper targets. There's a state park not far from me that has a gin range with 50, 100, and 200 yards benchs.

Peter Resetz
June 02, 2019, 07:38 PM
Pa. Mike
Iowa Fox it sure sounds like you live in varmint hunting heaven! happy
June 03, 2019, 12:56 AM
Iowa Fox
Mike, no shortage of deer in this area either. Iowa City is saying they have 10,000 in their urban city limits. If the city gets a handle on them which they won't we have another 10,000 up river to send them.

Jon
June 03, 2019, 11:01 AM
Arrowflinger
Lisa and I have been practicing with our 6.5 and 7 Saum's quite a bit. Prone, kneeling and standing. We have been informed that most of our shots on our upcoming Africa trip will be off sticks. We are feeling confident after our Memorial weekend practice session. Both of us were holding our groups under 4" standing using a tripod and Claw bag at 300 yards. Our PH has informed us that we should be able to keep shots to 200 or less. We will see!
And here is the plug!! We both have gained so much confidence since attending WyShot for a couple years. If you haven't attended. It is a must do. Great people. A really fun shoot and you will test your equipment and limits.
I must say. I am jealous of all the Rock Chuck stories. We really don't have many of the those critters here in California and have always been something I have wanted to go after. Love the stories and pic's.
Happy shooting all!!
Derek >>>-------->
June 04, 2019, 08:11 PM
DAN L
Summer is plenty of Benchrest matches
Six NBRSA matches plus the Nationals in Az to end season in Oct
Three IR 50/50, started new club at home
Six ARA BR matches

DAN
June 05, 2019, 06:55 AM
bowstryder
I took my first long range class 3 weeks ago....albeit I used my custom lr rifle but the principles are the same and I shot out to 1530yds in moderate winds. One of my friends from hawk hill barrels has a place we can shoot to 2400. That being said, I plan on ringing a lot of steel and converting him to liking specialty pistols this summer!