Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

xp100 remage headspace problem Login/Join 

posted
Got a new 7-08 remage barrel.The bolt fully closes on the go and no go gauges,also bolt closes on a new full length sized case.I took the barrel nut and recoil lug off,tightened the barrel all way in-I looked in the receiver,and barrel was ALL the way in.I put the bolt in and bolt fully closed with no gauges or case in chamber.I used the original 223 bolt and one from a model 7.Same thing,bolt closed without gauges or case in chamber.I also have a 6x223 remage barrel from same place,headspaces great.When I put the barrels side by side,exact same length threads.Sending back to maker,but does anyone have any ideas?Thank you

Posts: 98 | Location: upper east tennessee | Registered: January 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ole95
posted Hide Post
I had one that should have been chamber for 6BrX they cut with a 243 reamer
Take your barrel off and push the go gauge or brass in the chamber and see how much sticks Out. Pretty sure all of the extractor groove should be sticking out

Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
------------------------------
shoot like your life depends on it

Posts: 532 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sounds like it time to give the manufacture a call and tell them what you posted here. I bet they fix it for you right away.

Posts: 164 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Do some measuring before you do any finger pointing.
No more XP’s than there are, highly possible that some where in the past “other” work could have been done to it.
Just saw the same thing you describe a couple of weeks ago. The gents bolt and action had been squared and trued at some point, pre fit wouldn’t work with out a small bit of help.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3024 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not "pointing a finger" just trying to maybe learn something from someone who maybe had same problem.Receiver was never trued,factory original.Also as stated-remage barrel from same place spaced perfectly.

Posts: 98 | Location: upper east tennessee | Registered: January 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Let us know what you find.

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If when the barrel is screwed all the way down the no go fits it would indicate the chamber is cut long.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharkyf9:
Got a new 7-08 remage barrel.The bolt fully closes on the go and no go gauges,also bolt closes on a new full length sized case.I took the barrel nut and recoil lug off,tightened the barrel all way in-I looked in the receiver,and barrel was ALL the way in.I put the bolt in and bolt fully closed with no gauges or case in chamber.I used the original 223 bolt and one from a model 7.Same thing,bolt closed without gauges or case in chamber.I also have a 6x223 remage barrel from same place,headspaces great.When I put the barrels side by side,exact same length threads.Sending back to maker,but does anyone have any ideas?Thank you

I'm curious, did you ever find out what the problem is and the fix for it?

Posts: 164 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
yes called barrel maker and sent barrel and receiver back.He said he found a rolled thread in back of receiver.Fixed-works good.Strange-but another barrel from same maker worked fine.But Im just tickled it works fine now.Maker fixed and shipped back free-cant beat that service

posted Hide Post
quote:
Maker fixed and shipped back free-cant beat that service

It's just like Forrest Gump once said, "Stuff happens!" No matter the industry, mistakes are made. I once ordered a 221 Fireball rifle barrel for a Savage DIY build. When the barrel arrived after waiting many months, the contour was wrong. I contacted McGowen and they made it right, sending me barrel w/ the correct contour in a few weeks. That gun is one of the most accurate guns I own. A few years later I found myself w/ a DIY using a Howa Mini Action. I ordered another barrel from McGowen and have been VERY pleased. thumbup We all want perfection, but when a mistake is made, how the party involved responds is the measure of their integrity and quality. In my industry, folks don't frequently get a chance to correct a mistake. So glad to hear the manufacturer took care of you, as he should. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gary T,

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post