Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Bolt Action, Falling Block & Rotary Breech Pistols    1:12 twist 243, 15 inch barrel, what will stabilize?

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1:12 twist 243, 15 inch barrel, what will stabilize? Login/Join 

posted
I know the 1:12 is generally for lighter bullets at typical 243 velocities, but in a 15 inch barrel does anybody have any experience with bullets in the 80-90 grain or even heavier range? What sort of velocities are y'all getting?

Posts: 91 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
2800 fps with 70 grain. 12tw may not stabilize 90g

Posts: 50 | Location: Green River, wy | Registered: October 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Considering a Wiseman built Sako pistol but it's a 1:12 twist and my specific need is for a pistol that'll reach farther than my 7-30 Contender

Should be a great gun, not convinced it fills that role.

Posts: 91 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Potato,
I have a savage striker 1-12. It won't stabilize anything over 82grains. Prefers 75.
Derek >>>------->

Posts: 901 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
You need to download a ballistics program like JBM or Berger stability.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1507 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arrowflinger:
Potato,
I have a savage striker 1-12. It won't stabilize anything over 82grains. Prefers 75.
Derek >>>------->

Derek,
Is that an aftermarket barrel, I was under the impression that the factory Savage .243 barrels were 1:9.25 twist.

Posts: 572 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Yes sir,
Non taper bull.
Derek

Posts: 901 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arrowflinger:
Yes sir,
Non taper bull.
Derek

thumbup

Posts: 572 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
PJ, What are you going to do w/ the 243?

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Gary, hunt deer at longer range than I'm comfortable reaching with my 7-30 Contender. A faster twist, a longer barrel, and heavier bullets could make that a reality, but a 1:12 like this and a 15 inch barrel sounds like not the ticket.