Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what twist rate for a 6mm PPC Login/Join 

posted
What is the preferred twist rate for the 6mm PPC. Im wanting to build a rookie benchrest xp100 in this caliber. Im looking for a barrel but not sure what to look for on twist rate. Thanks Roger

Navy Chief. Retired.

Posts: 330 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Benchrest rifles used 1:14” im pretty sure. In any small 6mm pistol id take 1:10” personally

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9430 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Not sure what’s best but my encore pistol has a 1-10 mgm barrel. It shoots 70gr Sierra MK great. Mgm says 1-10 for 70-90gr. 1-8 for 90+gr. 1-12 for 60-70 gr. And 1-14 for under 60gr.

Rusty
—————————
“Dyin ain’t much of a livin”
Josey Wales

Posts: 606 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. Roger.

Navy Chief. Retired.

Posts: 330 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 7fingers
posted Hide Post
I use a 1-7 twist for all of my 223s and 6mm running heavy bullets

Posts: 297 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
My 6mm AI Encore is 1:10 and it shoots 70 gr. BTs and 85 gr. NPTs extremely well. Don't know if that will translate to the PPC, info is there.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Short range or long? Short range I'd get a 13 or maybe a 12. Long range I'd get a 7.5 or maybe 7.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I think the first question should be which bullet weight you want to shoot.

Posts: 4008 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bullet weight, im looking to shoot 65-75. Range will be 100 yard. Barrel length im not sure of. Thanks, Roger.

Navy Chief. Retired.

posted Hide Post
Roger, you will want the 14 twist for light bullets at short range BR

Proud NRA Life Member

Posts: 264 | Location: texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
http://www.jbmballistics.com/b...rs/calculators.shtml

good place to start when you decide what bullet you want to,use

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Roger
1/14 is correct for short range 65 to 68 gr bullet
Check with a BR shooter, get his old barrel , cut out middle and re thread
This is a way to save from money
I have done all mine this way

DAN

Posts: 743 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post