Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Creedmoor Login/Join 

Picture of Leupold Man
posted
Taking suggestions on barrel length for a XP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of XP Fuzz
posted Hide Post
15 inch on a center grip for hunting,18 inch on a rear grip for punching paper or just shooting off a bench..

------------------------------
The Wind is your Friend,,,RIGHT...
Cayle

Posts: 4099 | Location: USA-CommyCountry,, IL | Registered: January 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leupold Man:
Taking suggestions on barrel length for a XP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

What will the intended use be?
That will help with giving you a better answer Big Grin

-Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys a hunting pistol center grip.

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
I personally like 17"-18" before the brake. Just what works for me. 2cents

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 816 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
My xp is a 15"+ the brake. Works great for me

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
15"-18" is the I'd personally want the barrel length to be.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1593 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Hunting what types of big game (max distances), and how far do you want to shoot for practice and giggles?

quote:
Originally posted by Leupold Man:
Sorry guys a hunting pistol center grip.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Deer, pronghorn, and caribou. Out to about 400 yards.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
A 15" or longer should work for all of that.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not intended to be off topic...but I have an Encore 15" 6.5 Creedmoor with Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x32..what distance might that be good for as long and keep keep it steady...lol

Posts: 191 | Location: NH | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhmikel:
Not intended to be off topic...but I have an Encore 15" 6.5 Creedmoor with Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x32..what distance might that be good for as long and keep keep it steady...lol

What is the twist rate of the barrel, what bullet are you using,and what is your muzzle velocity?

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
I would like to use bullet weights around 140 grains. So I would also like a to know a twist rate you would recommend. Ernie I would love to know what twist rate you have on some of yours.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
I would go with 7.5 to 8 twist.
I have 8T on most of mine.
7.5T sure wouldn't hurt, especially if you decide to play further some day

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
I agree with Ernie, dont go slower than 8T

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys!

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
I'm really happy with the velocity that I'm getting out of a 15" barrel, the creed seems to be a very efficient cartridge.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3518 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Good to know thanks. You know guys 400 yards is pushing it for me. I can't see farther than that. Lol I have some good info to go off of now. Thanks to all!!!

posted Hide Post
I'm in love with my 15 incher, no brake. Based on my own experience with the Accubond in other calibers and some info on this site I settled on the 130 grain Accubond.

Posts: 30 | Location: clancy, mt | Registered: May 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with the AB

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22