Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swap to 223wylde from 243 striker Login/Join 

posted
I bought a bone stock 243win a while back and the barrel was shot out.
So I stuck a heavy axis bbl on it after enlarging the bbl channel.
After getting a pretty good set of loads for various bullet weights I have decided to set that bbl aside for hunting and ordered a 16" McGowan no taper .223wylde and bolt head.
This will involve hogging out the stocks channel a bit more so the sides will be very thin.
But I am reinforcing the fore end with epoxy and possibly a metal rod or something.
I already have a viper vortex 6.5x20x44 and signature see rings.
The choice of caliber is threefold
1 superb accuracy in my contender MGM bbl with McGowan supplied.
2 Low recoil.
3 i already have ammo components and dies etc

Posts: 334 | Location: colorado | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I want very little recoil so my 8 year old grandson can ring steel with me

Posts: 334 | Location: colorado | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You are going to spoil the kid!
What is the difference in the wylde chamber compared to any other. IS the kid going to help you load the ammo or just shoot it up? I hope he enjoys your company.

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A .223 Wylde chamber generally involves borrowed clearances and tolerances or certain dimensions from both a 5.56 and .223 chamber. If you wanted to oversimplify it, the Wylde chambering retains the tight freebore of a .223 (for purposes of accuracy), while keeping certain dimensions similar to a 5.56 chamber. As a result, you have a hybrid chamber which feeds both .223 and 5.56 reliably and safely, while having greater inherent accuracy than a 5.56 chamber.

That's at least how I interpreted the literature and reamer drawings.

shoe

Posts: 9 | Location: Chicago | Registered: November 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post