Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First one ever? Login/Join 

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted
25 Saum......
I've never heard of one built in an XP before and never seen any write ups for one. Mike Able (Rouge Precision Gun Works) and I came up with this mostly because I wanted something different in a caliber I didn't have. Horse power was desired for long range hunting on medium sized game. As well as steel. Mike, as always, did an outstanding job!
While I have only had it out to fire form brass and the fact that there isn't available load data. I'm impressed so far. First two loads using H-1000 and H4831sc are throwing 5/8 - 3/4 inch groups at 100. Bullet is the new 131 gr. Blackjacks. These loads are showing zero pressure and will be bumped up slowly until I find where pressure develop's. This is a beautiful gun and will be my go to on a bear and deer hunt this fall.
When I get some time I will cerakote the muzzle break and maybe do something different with the stock. Oh and this is the first Sightron scope I have ever owned. Jury is still out. Very different from my Burris XTR's. Life's a little crazy right now. When I get a chance to work the loads and really dial it in. I will update you all.
Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for reading.
Derek >>>-------->

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
thumbup thumbup Smile Big Grin

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 803 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
That is nice! I'm starting to warm up to the .25 Cal. I just took in trade last year the .257 JDJ and it is really starting to shine. Right now with the twist that SSK makes them, I'm working with 80 & 97 grn. bullets and A2520. That should be a long range laser when you get it dialed in with that scope. I have been thinking about a good rifle scope for my Apache .284 and my XP in 222 Rem Mag.
I always thought a 6 SAUM would be fun. Should reach out there in a XP.
Keep us informed.

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Longer a Member of SP

posted Hide Post
That's a sweet rig! And those initial groups are indicative of exceptional potential. thumbup thumbup

Posts: 4730 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Sweet looking rig!
I have spoken with others about the 25 SAUM, but have never pulled the trigger.
Just got back in the 1/4 bore with my 25 Creed...Just a wee little guy compared to yours.
It should work great for you!
NICE!!!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Awesome build Derek ! Keep us posted. thumbup thumbup

Posts: 944 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Very nice rig indeed

Posts: 83 | Location: Newark | Registered: October 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I really think you’ll like that scope. I love mine!

Rusty
—————————
“Dyin ain’t much of a livin”
Josey Wales

Posts: 601 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
COOL

Glad to see your new build
Still waiting for your rear grip

DAN

Posts: 743 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Send me some dimensions of those 131's and I'll run some data for ya. I need the following to add them to the database

OAL
Length of the BT
Diameter of the small end of the BT

I'll also need the OAL of the cartridge, barrel length, H2O capacity of your brass and what powders you want to run.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would love to try the Blackjack 131 grain in my 25 Creedmoor but from what I've been able to come up with I don't think they will stabilize in my 1:9 twist barrel.

Bruce

Posts: 1091 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,
Mike. I'm really having fun with the 25 so far. Hopefully I will be able to get out again this weekend to really work with it. I also have a 6.5 Saum and it is a great shooting hard hitting gun.

Brad. It is a Holland radial Baffle. I have one on all of my bigger guns. Barrel is a carbon six 17" plus break with a 1-7.5 twist.

Rusty. I like it for the most part. I am very used to my Burris XTR II's. The sightron cross hairs a bit on the heavy side for me when zoomed in. But for the most part I like it. It just might get switched to another gun.

Dan. Yes. Not sure when the PPC will be done. We were discussing it this morning an I told them I need it so I can come shoot with you in Sac.

Thanks Aaron!. I will get you some data. I appreciate it. I bought the program you as using but I haven't had time to learn it. I'll take the data I get from you and see if what I enter duplicates it.

Bruce. I think you might be right. You might be better off sticking in the 110gr. range. But you never know.

The new 25 Saum just might make an appearance at WyShot this year. I am worried a bit about your famous wind you dial up for us outsiders : )

Derek >>>--------->

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Would love to see the 25 SAUM running on the steel targets happy

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Very nice! I'm a sucker for the 25 caliber!

Posts: 130 | Location: KANSAS | Registered: August 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sharp look pop gun you got there. Nice job!

Posts: 37 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Congrats that's a good looking rig!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looking super.

Posts: 467 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Appears that you have a good one...looks great as well!

Posts: 761 | Location: Idaho | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Hi guy's,
It's been awhile since I started this topic. Iv'e been working with the 131 Blackjack bullets and H-1000, H4831 and Retumbo powders. The gun likes H-1000 slightly better than the rest with groups in the low .4's to low .5's at 100. ( Driver error is the problem!) But the Retumbo is right there with it. H4831 has pressure signs with lower powder charges than I expected.
I am really happy with the velocity I'm getting especially with that 131 gr bullet. H-1000 is right at 2898 fps ( 5 shot average) and the Retumbo is slightly higher at 2905 fps 5 shots. This gun is really fun to shoot and should really be a critter getter.
Now if anyone can let me know where I can get some H-1000 I would appreciate it!
Derek >>>----------->

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile since I started this post so I thought I would send an update. During the break in period the 25 Saum Xp liked H-1000. The velocities were up there and I was getting some nice groups. After breaking the barrel in the groups started opening slightly with the H-1000 and tightening with the H4831sc. Also the pressure signs I originally saw with the 4831 were no longer present. I have always been one to side for accuracy over speed. So I am now going to work more with the 4831 even though velocities are not were the H-1000 are. Groups like these are all too common. The gun preforms beautifully. But the nut behind the wheel always manages to throw one! UHG. hammer
Can't wait to stretch her legs at WyShot and hopefully on a bear this fall.
Derek >>>--------->

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Almost looks like a borderline Bullet stability issue. Bottom hole looks like bullet had slightly more yaw?

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1244 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Gator,
I don't believe its a stability issue I think it's me! I am shooting the new 131gr BlackJack bullets. They have fantastic BC ( 330 G7 ) and I believe they are the heaviest bullet in the 25 caliber. I haven't shot any other bullets as I want these to be the go to. I do have some 115 Bergers that I believe would shoot well. But in the end. Those Blackjacks ( made by Sierra ) will be what leaves the barrel most of the time. The furthest I have shot it so far is 500 yards. It rang the smallest plate ( Eight inches at our range ) with ease. We will put out our own steel on our next trip. We have four and six inch hangers and that's where it needs to be at that distance.
-Derek