Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Member, Looking For Ideas Login/Join 

posted
I have been an XP fan for a couple three decades. I got into shooting benchrest in the mid 90s and my focus turned to those rifles, and build my own guns. For the past couple years, I have been shooting cast bullet benchrest, the challenge of making those shoot is fun. Cast bullet has a class "Unlimited Pistol", now this is a winter project! I have an XP for it, and I know what cartridge I want to use. I want to make this thing at least 15 pounds, I also want to keep a 3" forearm so I can use my Farley rest, but from there, I'm looking for ideas. I thought of getting a straight 1.250 barrel and make a barrel block in the stock and free float the action. It would be a rear grip of course, Jewel trigger.

I've been searching for ideas, have found a few links for benchrest pistols, but would like to see what may be here, this site looks to be ALL pistols! So does anyone know of a post or picture of some heavy benchrest pistols here?

Tnanks

Posts: 17 | Location: East Coast | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Joe Updike used to make an aluminum stock with removeable side panels for adding lead. That along with a full bull barrel and scope should get you close if not there. I don't remember the name of his company right now, but if i do, i will repost.

Semper.Fi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 804 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
It is Accurate Rifle Systems, Mount Vernon Ohio.

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 804 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Accurate Rifle Systems, Mount Vernon Ohio.

Thank you, I'll check it out!

Posts: 17 | Location: East Coast | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Welcome!!!!

They track real good.
6 inch wide forend, and 3" wide at the bottom of the grip. Both BR specialty pistol s have tracks/rails.
The 7.5 pound set-up stock is carbon fiber.
The 16" BR set-up has aluminum rails/tracks.
You could do a 3" inch for your Farley.
I can cheat since my MAX can handle up to a 8 inch wide forend.
https://youtu.be/nWCAMwPaDTI
The last one is a 7mm Dakota
https://youtu.be/Baxj7ESGUcI

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Get a chassis system for your action, then attach a bag bar or design a rear grip that will have a wide bag bar that is either has tracks or rails or just flat. You can do the same thing with your friend is attach probably a 3 inch wide tracks or rails or flat onto the forend. Depending where your weight is, you can do it with aluminum or stainless

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ah Ha! Ernie, I have a link to your guns on accurate shooter.

So a couple things, maybe a few. I agree that tracking and stability are key to a pistol in benchrest. Weight certainly helps, and in my case, there is no weight restriction, other than my back carrying it.

I don't have the Seb rest you have so I need to work with the Farley, at 3". I'm hoping that can be offset stability wise with a wide skid plate on the butt. I'm kicking around wood, but also aluminum for the stock. Benchrest rail guns nowadays all are on an aluminum I-beam shape. I like and believe in the deadening properties of wood, but I also think riding this thing on bags instead of hard rests helps too.

Using an XP, which I have to use (and have) a production pistol action in cast bullets, has limitations in my opinion on hanging a heavy barrel off of it, hence my thought of a barrel block. Blocks are used extensively in 1K guns, with success. One idea I have of using an aluminum frame, is I could vary the location of the block by simply having a series of holes. I know a few good rail gun shooters, and the whole game with them is controlling the vibrations. Having the block in different places along the barrel can make a difference.

So you see I'm, tossing around of different things. I've shot benchrest for over 25 years, and some 600 and 1K too. I do my own work, lathe and mill. So making stuff isn't too hard. I look forward to some conversations if you have the time.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
You could always add some rubber to your chassis.
Or you could have Jim Rockwell spin up a rear grip laminate stock, and then supplement it with aluminum or SS. for rails/tracks, etc...
You could weigh it down with lead as well, if wanted/needed.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Barrel block sounds good.
I would consider a tuner as well, especially since we are going full retard happy

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
I would guess given your background, you already know all of the things mentioned.
I am curious what you come up with.
ernieemily@yahoo.com
307-257-7431 Call on weekdays during the day please.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Stiller TAC 30(Wylie, TX.) in 243 AI. Kreiger 8TW barrel 17" long + muzzle brake, 1.25" diameter. McMillan bench stock with picatinny rail(on bottom), 20 MOA rail on top, fluted bolt, Shilen standard trigger, single shot, Fired 450 rounds 115gr DTAC HBN coated bullets. Barrel is nitrided. Smithed by Clay Spencer.

Here is the rub - I did not save the invoice, and 90+% of the barrel markings were lost when the barrel was sand blasted before nitriding. SO.....

$1875 plus shipping and insurance. prefer local sale. Dayton, SW Ohio.

scope and rings not included
https://imgur.com/TNV1DzF
https://imgur.com/yyM1hH7
https://imgur.com/C4LwIQ4
https://imgur.com/YCKxJ5J

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Welcome to the bunch Popcorn.

You certainly have an interesting project going on, one that I hope you will keep us informed on as it progresses this winter. I remember in the older days of benchrest before a lot of the custom actions came on the guys used a lot of XP actions with sleeves of different sorts. I'd really like to hear more about your cast bullet benchrest matches and what cartridge you are planing on using for your project. Would be a good opening post in the cast bullet section.

I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions for your project here. As far as stocks go you might want to consider Jim Rockwell for one of his creations. Jim is a super gentleman that will understand what you need. I've had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with him, Ernie coaching us.

I doubt Mcmillan with ever knock out anymore rear grip XP benchrest stocks. Somewhere on here is a picture of Ernie's blue and purple one that is plated on the forarm and grip. I've watched several folks shoot that one and it tracked very well. If my old memory is correct Ernie said it weighs 32
Lb. I carried it out to a dead prairie dog for a photo op once and if its not 32 Lb it felt like it. I'm sure it has probably been re-barreled since then.

Jon

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iowa Fox:

You certainly have an interesting project going on, one that I hope you will keep us informed on as it progresses this winter. I remember in the older days of benchrest before a lot of the custom actions came on the guys used a lot of XP actions with sleeves of different sorts. I'd really like to hear more about your cast bullet benchrest matches and what cartridge you are planing on using for your project. Would be a good opening post in the cast bullet section.

I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions for your project here. As far as stocks go you might want to consider Jim Rockwell for one of his creations. Jim is a super gentleman that will understand what you need. I've had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with him, Ernie coaching us.

I doubt Mcmillan with ever knock out anymore rear grip XP benchrest stocks. Somewhere on here is a picture of Ernie's blue and purple one that is plated on the forarm and grip. I've watched several folks shoot that one and it tracked very well. If my old memory is correct Ernie said it weighs 32
Lb. I carried it out to a dead prairie dog for a photo op once and if its not 32 Lb it felt like it. I'm sure it has probably been re-barreled since then.

Jon

It was just under 16 pounds

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old leghumper:
Stiller TAC 30(Wylie, TX.) in 243 AI. Kreiger 8TW barrel 17" long + muzzle brake, 1.25" diameter. McMillan bench stock with picatinny rail(on bottom), 20 MOA rail on top, fluted bolt, Shilen standard trigger, single shot, Fired 450 rounds 115gr DTAC HBN coated bullets. Barrel is nitrided. Smithed by Clay Spencer.

Here is the rub - I did not save the invoice, and 90+% of the barrel markings were lost when the barrel was sand blasted before nitriding. SO.....

$1875 plus shipping and insurance. prefer local sale. Dayton, SW Ohio.

scope and rings not included
https://imgur.com/TNV1DzF
https://imgur.com/yyM1hH7
https://imgur.com/C4LwIQ4
https://imgur.com/YCKxJ5J

Sounds like a good gun. I know Clay quite well. As a matter of fact, I bought an XP from Clay many years ago, HS stock in 6PPC. Shot great.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iowa Fox:

Jon

I'm going to make this a 30PPC, I think. I have put one together in a rifle for testing, and will work with it. If not that it will be 30BR.