Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strikers Login/Join 

posted
So, the question is, are Strikers over with?

Seems to be a lot of interest in XP's, but Strikers, nothing.

So I worked hard to make my Striker Pistol Pak with 2 custom stocks, 3 barrels, scope, etc, etc, in a hard case, and not one inquiry. Moved ad to LRH, maybe some hunters will recognize the value, don't know.

Is there something I don't know?

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
I still love them, but can't buy anymore right now. Sure would like to have at least one more, though.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1840 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I really like mine, I have a 260 Rem barrel and a 7/08 its a fun pistol, and quite accurate, and easy to customize.

Ed

Posts: 473 | Location: Key Colony Beach, FL Keys | Registered: January 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't think the Striker is over. All you have to do is watch Mike (ssphunter) shoot his and you will want one. Also I've watched Adam (sawcarver) shoot his out to 1200. I don't own one but if I find a deal on one I'll snatch it. I would switch it to a rear trigger. I think one of the downsides for them is stocks and triggers. Even posts of builds off the PTA seem to have dried up around here these days.

Posts: 1627 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
I currently own 6 strikers and 8 XP's
The most accurate SP I own at the moment is a 6BR Striker. To achieve this. I changed it to a rear stock and a much better trigger. My girlfriend and I both have shot several 100yd groups under .200 C/C with it.
Having said all that. I do favor XP's. And my 22BR will soon out shoot the 6mm. (Currently transforming it back to a center grip)
I have a buddy in Oregon that is Striker all the way and he is currently trying to sell me his three XP's.
Hang in there Larry. You do great work !
Derek >>>-------->

Posts: 910 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Whoa! 14 and a possible 3 more XP's!

Derek, What did you use for a rear grip stock? Are your 6 Strikers 516's or a mix of 510"s & 516's?

Jon

Posts: 1627 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have 2 Strikers and 3 XPs (waiting on a 4th XP to arrive at my FFL).

I only have and desire (at this point) center grips.

I find myself preferring the ergonomics of the XP over the Striker. The XP trigger is also significantly better. I also find the XP to balance better, it seems to me with the Striker action further forward the guns are a bit unwieldy. I do prefer the left hand bolt of the Striker in hunting situations, although personally I would also prefer a left port so I could easily single feed without moving my shooting hand.

If anything my Strikers have proven slightly more accurate than my current XPs. None of mine have been modified (although the XP I'm waiting on has been).

I did see your pistol pack, but didn't want to inquire since I am not incredibly interested. I already have a 22-250 and a 308 on the Striker platform. I also prefer to keep the barrel to 15"+ brake.

There is no doubt your stock work is great, and I plan to have you modify another for me once my fun money funds recover.

If center grips stock options existed and a better center grips trigger was available I think that would go a long way toward closing the gap, for me personally, between the Striker and XP.

If I ever go rear grip I would do so with a Striker action since I could eliminate the trigger problem and at that point balance has gone out the window. I do like the fact that I can do a lot of the work on a Striker with my own hands without a gunsmith and significant machining equipment.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Have 3 Strikers, 2 modified to my liking, the third is currently stock but looking for a barrel to make it more to my style of use. Leaning toward a possible 4th, time will tell. Have 3 XP's as well, my Strikers see more use currently.

Posts: 126 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
My custom done Striker in 300 wsm is my favorite SP. Would love to see them made again!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Fox,
I have both models of Striker. The rear stock is an Accurate Rifle systems billet stock. Although if you want to put a little effort into a wood stock. You could convert a Richards Microfit benchrest rifle stock. They come in a lot of laminated colors.
Derek >>>---------->

Posts: 910 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Derek. Now to find a Striker.

posted Hide Post
I have Strikers, 7 at last count, and I could probably dream up 3 or 4 more configurations that would appeal to weakness. I had an XP, HAD being the main word there. I could not bring myself to like the left handed XP. So im one where Strikers are not dead, but part of there appeal is buying them and modding them to suit.
It wouldn't be so bad but my left eye is dominate and I shoot rifles left handed but pistols I have never been able to be comfortable shooting lefty.
And that brings me to another thought, I know some people prefer shorter barrels, an there may be regulations in some states that prohibit the longer barrels on pistols. But if you do rear grips, wouldn't it be just as easy, price and availability wise, to use left hand rifles, for barrels over 16. And if XPs are also in your liking but you really like Savages barrel and bolt, why not use a Savage Target action, undesignated if you want the shorter barrel.
Sorry I'm not trying to stir the pot, or get it boiling, just thinking out loud.
Andy

Posts: 787 | Location: South Central VA | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Had two, sold one here. The one I kept is as good a trigger as any savage rifle I've owned or shot. I think is gen 1 assembly, but it is good+.

Currently selling the .243 and .221fb barrels on this site and switched back to .223 to use factory ammo.

There is an old thread about wood stocks here. Looked really hard for a duplication shop. Checked four makers with no luck. Was hoping for a slim trim hunter style.

And to add to Andy's post, I ordered a left hand savage target action from the custom shop a few years ago. That was before the buy out.

Posts: 273 | Location: the brushies | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So, if I make a couple ofstriker stock bucks, you might want to rent one for duplication purposes , or would you rather have me make you a stock of your preferences?

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtf:
Had two, sold one here. The one I kept is as good a trigger as any savage rifle I've owned or shot. I think is gen 1 assembly, but it is good+.

Currently selling the .243 and .221fb barrels on this site and switched back to .223 to use factory ammo.

There is an old thread about wood stocks here. Looked really hard for a duplication shop. Checked four makers with no luck. Was hoping for a slim trim hunter style.

And to add to Andy's post, I ordered a left hand savage target action from the custom shop a few years ago. That was before the buy out.

If I am not mistaken, and that is very possible, at one time Savage offered a single shot, solid bottem varmint rifle/action, in both right and left hand. Be a great beginning for a rear grip SP bolt gun.

Posts: 787 | Location: South Central VA | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have tried in vain to find a duplicator that will take this on. I ubderstand many folks shoot off the bench, I'm interested in a streamlined hunting stock.
Maybe I should trade this savage for an xp with a McMillan.

Savage custom shop used to be very easy to work with, ask for Effie.

Posts: 273 | Location: the brushies | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
jtf you're not alone looking for a stock duplicator. Nor Cal Mikie has been shoveling me leads but I have had no luck. His latest lead is Doyle Anglin at Dixie Guns in Winder, GA. I've just been so busy I haven't had a chance to run it down. Anyone here have any experience with Doyle Anglin?

posted Hide Post
The problem with trying to make a streamlined striker stock is the mag box. Thats the big difference between the striker and an xp. If the trigger wasn't attached to it you could lower the whole barreled action and get a lot less stock that way. And I doubt you'll be able to trade it for an xp, let alone one with a mcmillan on it, might get lucky though.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The forearm, grip and maybe the moose-nosed rear could be shaved/rounded a bit.
The grip is too fat for my hand.

Could the mag box be replaced with a solid single shot follower and braze a tab on the front underside for the trigger linkage rod? That would get rid of the mag box and the depth of the forearm in front of the trigger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jtf,