Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing protection Login/Join 

posted
I think I have asked this same question before but bear with me. What is the best hearing protection to wear while hunting. I have bad hearing loss and want to protect my hearing as best I can but with ear plugs You either cant hear(while they are in) or you have to rush to put them in before you shoot. I wear hearing aids(not while hunting) so I could use a little help in the hearing dept also. THANKS ahead of time Jess

Posts: 237 | Location: Nashville,TN. USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
I use some ear muffs by Walker Game Ear, they amplify the sounds but cut off and do a good job of muffing the muzzle blast from any of my braked guns.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3517 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgp:
I use some ear muffs by Walker Game Ear, they amplify the sounds but cut off and do a good job of muffing the muzzle blast from any of my braked guns.
Glenn

I use these too, at the range I wear plugs under them.

Bob

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2167 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I wear the Peltor low profile electronic ear muffs while hunting. Caldwell also makes some but are just slightly larger but less expensive if you are wanting to see if you like them. I have the Acculife Shooters ear plugs and have been using them for years while hunting with my muzzleloaders and rifles. They don't work as well on pistols with breaks but non-break pistols they do work.
Mike

Here is a link- Hunting ear plugs

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3081 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
I wear one of the 30db reduction sets of passive earmuffs. I put one side on one ear and the other above my other (my right) ear. When I hear or see something I just push the right one down on my ear and I am ready to blast it.

Dave

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I use the electronics, even at the range, because they still allow you to hear enough to detect a squib load or when something isn't right. Kind of a hassle to wear in the field, but they'll do a good job for what you want to do.

Posts: 881 | Location: rhinelander, wi | Registered: January 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hands down the best hearing pro is a suppressor, aka silencer.

--------------------------------------------------
Southern Arizona FFL/SOT
quiettimesports@gmail.com

Posts: 546 | Location: SoAZ and SoIN | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
I would love to use a suppressor! I use the Caldwell electronic low profile muffs. They aren't very expensive, so I don't have to worry about messing them up while hunting. They also fold up in a compact package and I can store them in my hunting backpack without taking up too much space. When it's hot outside, I keep them on top of my head and just slide them down to shoot. If it's nice and cold, I keep them on my ears to keep them warm. Smile

Posts: 960 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: June 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A quick google search tells me that Suppressors are legal in both TN and SC for hunting. From the TN 13-14 regs:

"The use of suppressors/silencers is legal for persons possessing the required federal license from the United States Department of Treasury. Hunters using these devices must have proof of such license on their person."

Use ear plugs and covers and whatever means available for the year or so wait while your noise suppressor paperwork goes thru the process. Do it!

--------------------------------------------------
Southern Arizona FFL/SOT
quiettimesports@gmail.com

Posts: 546 | Location: SoAZ and SoIN | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of mrmurl
posted Hide Post
I have used the Howard Leight electronic ear muffs with great success. They give great hearing and when you pull the trigger they simply muffle the sound of the blast down. They do not muffle like a pair of good non-electronic muffs but make it acceptable for hearing impaired people like myself and you. I too wear hearing aids and must have them to be even close to social and to hear in the hunting fields, but the electronic muffs make a great substitute for the aids. The pair that I have are not expensive at all, but work very well. Hope this gives you some hope. I am not sure about a suppressor in Missouri, but I don't want to mess with the hassle anyway.

Mr. Murl
NRA Life Member

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary."

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 423 | Location: Mid-Missouri "Lake Pomme De Teere" | Registered: November 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I love my Bilstroms, but I wouldn't complane with a Walker Quad 9X, those will amplify the sound by 9 times , but still pick up alot of wind noise which is my only complaint

Posts: 1162 | Location: California | Registered: November 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I always bring some kind of hearing protection with in the field and love amplified hearing. The Howard Leight's are great. Used them for several years and then last year I found a good deal on the Walker behind-the-ear digitals so I could use them during bow and gun season. Got a set of molded inserts for them from a local hearing guy and they work great.

I also always keep one of the cheap plastic bands with rubber ear plugs in my bag. That way they're always there when you need to fire up a chainsaw, pop a cottonmouth, or batteries run out.

Posts: 916 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
I have a Walkers game ear and had a ear mold made for it which makes it much more comfortable. It works well but being on only one side you can miss allot of stuff plus it always sounds like your walking through cornflakes and wind can be a problem. It's an older model and doesn't pick up sounds in the lower frequencies and you miss those thumps and snorts of deer. Lately I've just used some of those Howard Leight ear plugs that are on the rigid loop that hang around your neck. I bought them at a welding supply store. They pop in quickly and do a good job of protection. Anythings better than nothing at all.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4627 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I use the Silencio electronic muffs but have pretty much beaten them up and can't find them anymore. Anyone know where they may be sold?
Thanks
Mike

Enjoy your family and friends today as they may not be here tomorow.

Posts: 482 | Location: Manitoba | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
pro ears for me work very well so far

Posts: 192 | Location: fingerlakes ny | Registered: April 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wear the Peltor low profile electronic ear muffs while hunting.

X2 thumbup

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3512 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgp:

Glenn

^^^THIS^^^ thumbup

Posts: 260 | Location: Alabama | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This is an old thread but I just want to join the conversation. As someone with minor hearing issues, I always double down with my Big Ear custom earplugs and my earmuffs. They also offer DIY ear compression fitting if ever you don't have a service provider near you. I truly vouch for them!

Posts: 1 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA 83401 | Registered: September 30, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post