Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting rifle stock for rear grip pistol Login/Join 

posted
So, for those of you that have done it, what seems to be the best stock for it? I'm looking to do a left hand rem700 SA for a 260 or 308 probably. Choate has the varmint, sniper and tactical that all could be cut down, but each offers a different grip and forend configuration. Has anyone found one to be better than the others? I know that the tactical stock has a big fat grip, and the varmint looks way thinner.

Any other stocks I should be looking at to cut down?

Posts: 110 | Location: Marthasville, Missouri | Registered: February 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Been thinking about one of these.
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/Pistol_Grip_Style.htm

Posts: 384 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Hi there Alaskan,
I did a rear grip striker and it turned out really nice. I used a Richards Microfit stock. http://www.rifle-stocks.com
They have stocks for all manufacturers
The one I chose was the target/bench rest model rifle stock. I cut it off at the pistol grip and removed approx. 4" of the forearm. It really wasn't that tough a job. They have several to choose from and the cost is reasonable at $169 for any color laminate. This photo was taken before I thinned the grip a bit more and added a trigger guard. I finished the wood off with linseed oil. I like the way it turned out.
Derek >>>--------->

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
I just finished cutting down a Choate Ultimate Varmit and I love it. I’ve got a thread on here with pics detailing the project (“Bolt build has begun...”). Boyd’s May have some good options for you if you prefer wood though, and about any of the chassis’s for the 700 would work also if you prefer that route...

Here’s a pic of my final setup...

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
A word of advice if you decide to cut down a Choate, call them and ask if they have any blemished stocks of the model you choose. I got mine for $125 plus the shipping and other than a couple spots of slight color discoloration I couldn’t tell why it was a blemished model...these are setup for the blind magazine and I used a 3D printer single **** block but you ca easily out in the factory blind mag or inlet the stock for the bottom metal of your choosing

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Arrowflinger, Which Richards Stock did you start out with? I see they have a regular, a thumbhole and one with a AR type grip. I like the $129 price.

Bill

Posts: 357 | Location: Western NY  | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill. I used the thumb hole version. I liked the pistol grip style but chose the other.
Derek

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
I just cut down a Boyd’s thumb hole for Rifle stock for my Charger. It worked out pretty good just takes a little patience and a lot of sanding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Olrustyencore,

Rusty
—————————
“Dyin ain’t much of a livin”
Josey Wales

Posts: 600 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Very cool looking Rusty. That awesome weapon is not legal in the great state of California!
Derek

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arrowflinger:
Very cool looking Rusty. That awesome weapon is not legal in the great state of California!
Derek

Educate me please.... Because it’s a semi auto? Or what makes it illegal?
Inquiring minds.....

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Posts: 600 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies. I looked over a bunch of teh richard's stocks, and that may be the route I go with if it's wood. I already called Choate and they do have a lefty for what I'm looking for, so it's really just down to me making up my mind. I've been running a mid grip striker for years, and I really dig the left bolt. I've shot a couple XP's, but can't get past the right bolt right hand grip, just seems back wards for a bolt pistol. I've gotten very good at maintaining my right grip and cycling the left hand bolt, so I'll stick with the lefty theme.

I like that richards has so many to choose from, along with great prices for high grades of wood. I may have to go with something with some figure in a walnut stock.

Posts: 110 | Location: Marthasville, Missouri | Registered: February 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Rusty:
Not legal in California and probably most other states. Why?? It's a Ruger 10/22 and NOT a Charger. Charger comes from the factory with a shorter barrel, NOT the 10/22. Sorry to burst your bubble and take away all your fun but that's the way it is.
BATF says the barrel must be at least 16" long and the OAL of the rig must be 26" long. That way it's still classed as a rifle. Anything shorter and it's a unregistered short barreled rifle with the note attached from the BATF saying, get caught with it,"Go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00"!
I did the same thing with one of my Ruger 10/22s. Added the Charger aftermarket stock, shot it a few times, didn't like the final results so I sold the stock, built a couple of bench rest guns out on my pair of 10/22s. 3" forearm bench rest style thumb hole stocks, straight pipe barrels, quick release mag levers and long range scopes. Still havn't shot them yet BUT, I did have fun building them. Cool
You could probably push your luck and get by with the "short barreled 10/22" for a time, BUT, it would only take one BATF agent having a bad day and looking to make a score and guess what? TAG YOU'RE IT!! Still looks cool. Wink

Posts: 384 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I think the confusion might be the wording used by rusty and maybe an assumption that everyone had read his post in the rimfire forum. In the rimfire section he posted about his new charger and shows the work he did on cutting down a 10/22 stock. My understanding is the gun IS a charger and the stock WAS a for a 10/22. If I’m wrong then maybe Rusty will correct me.

Bruce

Posts: 1091 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bruce, you’re exactly correct. It is a Charger. What I should’ve said is I cut down a stock made for a 10/22 and put it on my charger. I just thought the post was for pistols with cutdown rifle stocks so I guess I assumed that was a given. I’m well aware of the “16 inch barrel rule”. Sorry for the confusion. I edited the earlier post to clear it up.

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Slap_Forehead

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9426 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Sorry Rusty. Just had a chance to come back on. Nor Cal explained it perfectly. I get asked all the time if my XP,s are legal. The easiest way to explain it to them is to say. “The ATF doesn’t care if you make pistols bigger. You just can’t make rifles shorter”.
Beautiful charger by the way.
Derek

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
No problem. I was confused as to why you couldn’t have a charger in California. Now I understand why you thought it would’ve been illegal. My bad..... scratch head

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

posted Hide Post
It's the WORDING that started it all off.Big Grin Being that the action is stamped CHARGER, you're good to go. You "could" build a Charger out of a 10/22 but like I said, it would only take once for the BATF to score points. And again, looks pretty good from here. Cool Cool Glad that got cleared up. Smile

posted Hide Post
Rusty I like the job you did on that Charger stock. Looks like the rear grip would really set on the bag nice.

Jon

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It sets very solid on the bag both rear and front. I’m very happy about how it turned out.

Btw.... this was an unintentional hijack of this thread Big Grin

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
Another choice, Bell & Carlson. I cut off the Buttstock on a Savage stock "Medalist" Used a Cutoff saw, encountered a 1/2" aluminum tube (expected) cut thru that also. Left a aluminum colored oval on back of grip. The cut areas were rounded, preserving as much of the spider-web finish as possible. Then cut areas covered by a thin layer of epoxy, tinted black/charcoal. This covers the rear grip area. Mounted a Barreled, PTA (Precision Target Action), has aluminum blocks so no bedding needed...

Since I had the epoxy out, took a cutoff pc of the buttstock, and glued it to bottom of grip, making a rail for the rear bag.

Came out well, send me a email addy for some pics of process & finished. Think I posted here might find it on a search.

Mike B.
lapopular@aol.com

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HandCanonShootr:
Another choice, Bell & Carlson. I cut off the Buttstock on a Savage stock "Medalist" Used a Cutoff saw, encountered a 1/2" aluminum tube (expected) cut thru that also. Left a aluminum colored oval on back of grip. The cut areas were rounded, preserving as much of the spider-web finish as possible. Then cut areas covered by a thin layer of epoxy, tinted black/charcoal. This covers the rear grip area. Mounted a Barreled, PTA (Precision Target Action), has aluminum blocks so no bedding needed...

Since I had the epoxy out, took a cutoff pc of the buttstock, and glued it to bottom of grip, making a rail for the rear bag.

Came out well, send me a email addy for some pics of process & finished. Think I posted here might find it on a search.

Mike B.

The pics are toward the bottom of this thread. Nice job on that one Mike.

Jon
lapopular@aol.com

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iowa Fox:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HandCanonShootr:

Mike B.

The pics are toward the bottom of this thread. Nice job on that one Mike.

Jon

https://specialtypistols.infop...830094986#3830094986