Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Copperhead XP, UPDATE! ! Login/Join 

posted
Finally got the 6.5x55 AI build wrapped up, well......save for mount and glass. Wink

Specs.....

XP 100 action, gone thru
Nosler/Lawton bolt stop
PTG spiral flute bolt
In house built knob
Lilja 8 twist fluted bbl
Muscle brake
McMillan center grip stock
Bedded and custom finish

Anxious to get her rigged and start to fireform the Lapua 6.5x55 brass.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Da-Law-Dawg,

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice looking XP! Well done

Posts: 1014 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Hey dawg, appropriate name for your new weapon. Copperheads!!!!! Nasty critters!!!! It packs a potent "bite" the new 6.5 should keep the biten cotinueing. Little copperhead nailed me several years ago while out for a deer scouting trip, can still see the fang marks on my calf. I hab chills up my spine when I saw your post.
Excellent looking build
How has your KY deer season going?
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jeremy you really knock out some nice stuff.

Posts: 1627 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looks nice.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work Jeremy!

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words fellas!!

Nm......season was good during modern gun. Didn't shoot a deer as I didn't see a good buck. But, had am awesome season, batted 1000 seeing deer. Passed on 7 different bucks waiting for one of the shooters I had in my neck of the woods. Still have late muzzleloader to go.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thumbup thumbup

Nice work Jeremy!

-Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good looking stick DLD!

Posts: 606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
The only thing that would make it look better is my hand on the pistol grip!!LOL
Nice job!

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 816 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That is awesome.

Posts: 363 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
Jeremy it looks great!! Bet it's going to be a sweet shooter to boot.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3518 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I found the bipod.

laugh

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
That's a really good looking rig. Let us know how it shoots.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Nice looking piece

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3512 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggin:
I found the bipod.

laugh

Tried to convince Hoggin that she's lighter than the .243 build. He keeps making fun of me.......lol

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tried to convince Hoggin that she's lighter than the .243 build. He keeps making fun of me.......lol

Everybody makes fun of you but it's not because of your gun! ha laugh

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3518 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Show us 6.5x55 and 6.5x55AI when you get a few formed.
Nosler/Lawton bolt stop? Not familiar with that....

Looking great...sure it will shoot as well.

Steve Smile
---------------------------------
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1933 | Location: Washington  | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaggy357:
Looks great. Show us 6.5x55 and 6.5x55AI when you get a few formed.
Nosler/Lawton bolt stop? Not familiar with that.....

Shaggy,

Here's some pics of the 6.5x55 AI and a standard 6.5x55 cartridge for comparison.......

Here's another pic to give you a better idea. Left to right, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55 AI, 6.5x55 and .243 Winchester.........

Lastly, here's the Nosler/Lawton bolt stop.........

posted Hide Post
A gratuitous pic of her rigged and ready to bite.......

20 MOA base with a Leupold VXR 4x12x40

posted Hide Post
Looks sharp.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That is VERY nice!

This from someone who is very inexperienced with long range shooting, but is there an advantage to using 30mm tubed optics vs 1"? Also, what distance do you shoot with that 20moa base?

I'm curious because I'm putting together a 308 Win pistol on a virgin 700 SA and I have a 1" Leupold that I plan to use on a 0moa base. I don't envision shooting past 500 yards.

-------------------
Kraig

Posts: 135 | Location: Alabama | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arokcrwlr:
That is VERY nice!

This from someone who is very inexperienced with long range shooting, but is there an advantage to using 30mm tubed optics vs 1"? Also, what distance do you shoot with that 20moa base?

The benefit of a 30mm tube is two-fold, the larger tube will yield more internal adjustment vs a 1" tube. The second benefit, 30mm tubes work a bit better in low light.

The 20 MOA base with the Leupold should net enough adjustment to get her to 1000 yards. The same scope with a 20 MOA base netted 42 MOA of use able elevation on my .243 build with a 100 yard zero. Granted, the 6.5x55 AI isn't going to be running as fast, but should have enough elevation to put me on at 1k.

The .308 you mentioned should do fine out to 500 with a standard base. However, I opt for the 20 MOA bases on my rigs. Mind you, I won't be lobbing shots at 1K on big game, just the occasional prairie dog and some steel at wy-shot.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the explanation - makes sense. It took me a while to half way understand the purpose of the tilted bases... Smile

Again, great build with an awesome scope. I looked at one of those the other day at my LGS and will have one at some point.

-------------------
Kraig

Posts: 135 | Location: Alabama | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Dawg, really cool lookin rig!!!!!*****
thumbup
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Update folks!!

We took advantage of the beautiful weather and got to the range with the XP build today. Got some brass fireformed and saw that this little gem has got some REAL potential! For our 6.5x55 AI fireform loads, we used a generic OAL and mid range charge of IMR 4350 behind the 120 Amax. All loads were on virgin Lapua brass. We took our first three shots off boresight and it raised an eyebrow! Despite calling a flyer on our first round, the next two went in a ragged hole!! The 4x12x40 Leupold VXR was mounted on a 20 MOA base and with downward adjustment limited out, she was shooting 2" high on the money. That leaves us with 100% of our useable elevation! That's 75 MOA guys!!!!

We took her a click left and shot a fresh target for a 5 round group. Still settling it with the trigger, I called one flyer of the 5 shots and she netted four more Amax's in a neat little cluster. I was impressed with how well the Lilja 8 twist shot with the 120's! Looking forward to seeing how she's gonna do with a good, tuned load!

Here's the first three off boresight.......

An earnest 5 shots, off of generic fireform loads. Overlook the little fella on the left, got my booger-hooker on the bang switch too quick!

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
That has turned out to be some head turner!! What velocities are you hoping to run?

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowstryder:
That has turned out to be some head turner!! What velocities are you hoping to run?

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as velocity, may be wishful thinking, but with the 14" bbl I'm pushing for 2600.

Picture of greenhornet-1
posted Hide Post
Very nice XP! Just curios were you picked up dies for this round?

Posts: 478 | Location: appomattox va | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenhornet-1:
Very nice XP! Just curios were you picked up dies for this round?

They carry the 6.5x55 AI dies here,

http://www.ch4d.com/

Great service and the dies were here in about a week.