Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting comparison Login/Join 

posted
I just realized how closely the 7 mm IHMSA International and the 6.5 Creedmoor resemble each other. I know -- slow on the uptake.

Anyway, a 7 mm IHMSA International has recently come my way, along with a bunch of unfired and fired brass, and in looking at it I wondered to myself "how much different is this from 6.5 Creedmoor?" I mean, I know the bullet diameter are different by half a millimeter (duh), but putting the cases side-by-side, there is so little difference it's amazing.

The 7 mm IHMSA International looks like a very fine cartridge, both for silhouette (which it was originally designed for) and for small and medium game. Looking at this photo, I would estimate it would be good for anything up to antelope and deer inside 150 yards.

When I can get myself organized (ask my wife how soon that will happen!) this one will be looking for a new home, along with 197 pieces of brass and dies.

Here's the photo:

[IMG:left]/Users/fred/Desktop/Two cases - small.pdf[/IMG]

Posts: 17 | Location: northern NV | Registered: March 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well that photo didn't post. Ill try again through photo bucket.

Posts: 17 | Location: northern NV | Registered: March 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Creedmore is on the left.

posted Hide Post
Creedmoor is on the left.

posted Hide Post
Is the 7 mm IHMSA International based on the 250-3000 case? I've forgotten. Definitely a difference in shoulder angle and it looks like the 7 mm IHMSA International is a little shorter.

Posts: 146 | Location: WNY | Registered: January 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
The 7mm IHMSA is based on a 300 Savage, I had one in a Wichita bolt gun and it was very accurate and with 120 grain Ballistic Tips it was deadly on deer sized game. I sold the gun to a buddy who's still killing deer with it.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3514 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
WNY Bill

As the later poster said, it is based off the 300 Savage. It is just a little shorter than the Creedmoor. The shoulder is not as sharp, and it could be blown out a little more. My recollection is that when Elgin Gates first developed the cartridge, there were two designs. One was a little longer than the other. I think this one is the longer one. I have not tried this with the 120 gr bullets -- it might shoot better than the 139 gr bullets , which is what I have.