Specialty Pistols
Interesting comparison

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/1100089396

March 29, 2019, 12:22 PM
epoletna
Interesting comparison
I just realized how closely the 7 mm IHMSA International and the 6.5 Creedmoor resemble each other. I know -- slow on the uptake.

Anyway, a 7 mm IHMSA International has recently come my way, along with a bunch of unfired and fired brass, and in looking at it I wondered to myself "how much different is this from 6.5 Creedmoor?" I mean, I know the bullet diameter are different by half a millimeter (duh), but putting the cases side-by-side, there is so little difference it's amazing.

The 7 mm IHMSA International looks like a very fine cartridge, both for silhouette (which it was originally designed for) and for small and medium game. Looking at this photo, I would estimate it would be good for anything up to antelope and deer inside 150 yards.

When I can get myself organized (ask my wife how soon that will happen!) this one will be looking for a new home, along with 197 pieces of brass and dies.

Here's the photo:

[IMG:left]/Users/fred/Desktop/Two cases - small.pdf[/IMG]
March 29, 2019, 12:23 PM
epoletna
Well that photo didn't post. Ill try again through photo bucket.
March 29, 2019, 12:33 PM
epoletna
http://s1243.photobucket.com/u...jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0
March 29, 2019, 12:34 PM
epoletna
Creedmore is on the left.

March 29, 2019, 12:36 PM
epoletna
Creedmoor is on the left.

March 30, 2019, 10:57 AM
WNY Bill
Is the 7 mm IHMSA International based on the 250-3000 case? I've forgotten. Definitely a difference in shoulder angle and it looks like the 7 mm IHMSA International is a little shorter.
March 30, 2019, 11:41 AM
tgp
The 7mm IHMSA is based on a 300 Savage, I had one in a Wichita bolt gun and it was very accurate and with 120 grain Ballistic Tips it was deadly on deer sized game. I sold the gun to a buddy who's still killing deer with it.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

March 30, 2019, 04:23 PM
epoletna
WNY Bill

As the later poster said, it is based off the 300 Savage. It is just a little shorter than the Creedmoor. The shoulder is not as sharp, and it could be blown out a little more. My recollection is that when Elgin Gates first developed the cartridge, there were two designs. One was a little longer than the other. I think this one is the longer one. I have not tried this with the 120 gr bullets -- it might shoot better than the 139 gr bullets , which is what I have.